How do you brighten the face of subject in shadow with the background in sun

Hi.  We are shooting outside 1 hour after sunrise and the presenter's background must be sunlit.  Light looks best if the presenter is angled about 30 degrees away from the rising sun.

My presenter is a 10 year old boy with light to moderate brown skin (type III-IV).  He tends to squint in bright light though his complexion looks best in the sun at this time of day.

A diffuser darkens his skin too much, so I am considering buying an LED and softbox.

Will he not just squint just the same but due to the nearby diffuser?  Will an LED/softbox give the same pleasing light on his face without causing squinting?

You're on the right track.  You're looking to add fill light on his face and an LED with softbox will accomplish that.  Another less expensive option would be to try a reflector of some variety.   

When working with sunlight small led or other small lights won’t be bright enough to do much of anything

if you are going to light the subject with direct sunlight at a nice angle it should like great. The other option is to put the sun behind the talent and use a large white bounce to bounce sunlight back at the face. 

Thanks for the tips!  The subject tends to squint.  His eyes are captivating if they are opened all the way.

Sun behind him is not possible.

I just picked up a SmallRig RC120B and parabolic softbox.  It is rated for 4450 lux at 3m (softbox only vs reflector), more than twice the Genaray led panel I've been using and light looks much prettier!

Guess we'll start at low intensity and see how his eyes holds up 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Have your talent close their eyes and look into the sun for a minute or two. When they open their eyes again (looking away from the sun, of course!) they will likely not squint as much or at all when looking into a bounce fill.