Please Critique My Reel!

Jonathan Yi

Hi!

I have a lot of footage that I didn't put in here that I probably should have, but I really, really, really don't like editing my own DP reels. Please take a look and let me know what you think, where I should trim, etc. Another eye would be really helpful.

http://www.hellacine.com/videos/DP_Reel_20..._320automed.mov

Quicktime 7 is required to view this (it will not work with Quicktime 6)

The file is 33.8 MB by the way, so you've been warned!

Thanks!

hi jonathan,

this is really weird to download that 33.mb file from the ne.. its ok.. i can make you suggestions to where you cut in that footage.. if you feel better then u can cut it in your own.. does the Clip is having TC inthat? and i want to know what the App you use to edit the footage ? whether its Avid or FCP.. kindly message me.. and you also can get me at yahoo IM .. just message to free2cheer_u@yahoo.com.. i will be available there most of the time..

see ya buddie..

gopikhannah

Guest matthew david burton

Some really nice stuff their Jonathan.

I would cut rarther a lot of the footage though. Some shots just really stand out over others to me, obviously i say you should just put in the verry best footage.

You could have a truly fantastic 3 mins that would leave you wanting more, it's best not to show all your tricks in one bag if you know what i mean.

The way i would do it is to start with about the best 10 shots you got and go from their. Don't linger on one sceen but cut between differrent projects.

Let us see what you come up with !

-matt

Edited by matthew david burton

Hi Matt! Thanks for the advice. I feel like I was trying to show a lot of lighting continuity for people who didn't even necessarily know that we shot night for day and day for night, and also just didn't focus on the good stuff. I feel that once I get more footage from more recent projects, I'll be able to narrow it down to 3 mins of good stuff. Thanks again for the advice. If you have any specifics as well, please let me know.

-Jon

Some really nice stuff their Jonathan.

I would cut rarther a lot of the footage though. Some shots just really stand out over others to me, obviously i say you should just put in the verry best footage.

You could have a truly fantastic 3 mins that would leave you wanting more, it's best not to show all your tricks in one bag if you know what i mean.

The way i would do it is to start with about the best 10 shots you got and go from their. Don't linger on one sceen but cut between differrent projects.

Let us see what you come up with !

-matt

Hi!

I have a lot of footage that I didn't put in here that I probably should have, but I really, really, really don't like editing my own DP reels. Please take a look and let me know what you think, where I should trim, etc. Another eye would be really helpful.

http://www.hellacine.com/videos/DP_Reel_20..._320automed.mov

Quicktime 7 is required to view this (it will not work with Quicktime 6)

The file is 33.8 MB by the way, so you've been warned!

Thanks!

Hi Jonathan,

How and what to use is always a little tricky. I will give you direct answers "critique" to your reel.

On exteriors. I would remove the day exteriors, except the the backlit day at the cemetary. I did like some of the night stuff that you did. But you put a lot of day exterior stuff on the front of the reel that does not show off your lighting. Someone looking for a DP will watch the first 15 to 30 seconds of the tape and stop it. So you must put your very best at the front to grab them.

Take the work you have done on a project and just use your favorite shots. Forget story. Put them back to back and add music.

Think about the stuff that shows off your lighting and your composition. Think about quality, not quantity.

Enjoy the process!

Dave McMurray

• 4 weeks later...

Jonathan,

I think the beginning of the reel is superb. The B W footage is some of the better I've seen.

The reel is too long. I think you should cut away at least 50 %.

Can I ask if the B W is 35 or Super 16 ? What filmtype?

Best regards,

Erik Turestedt

• 1 month later...

fu**ing rock man, your selections are totally prime, now you just need to choose your favorites and the ones that show your versatility and skill. Very impressed, how long have you been a DP? it this all 35mm and HD or is there some 16 rolling around?