RED Camera

Tim Shim

Mike at hdforindies.com has a discussion going for a new 4K res camera called the RED Camera targeted at Independent Filmmakers and will be priced with that target group in mind.

There's also a discussion over at DVInfo.net with the creators of RED. http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=56185

What does everyone here think of this camera? Achievable or not?

Cheers,

Tim

I hope this camera is achievable... we are working overtime and throwing a lot of resources at the project. We have great intentions to deliver a camera that is measurably more capable than what is currently available or that we see on the horizon from other companies. We have added some great industry consultants as "adult supervision" to our other assets to do such a project. We currently have a great design team, optical and electronic engineers, 3D CAD modeling, liquid laser prototype equipment, electron beam gun vapor deposition machines. 5 axis mills, full testing capability, a titanium casting plant and a strong sense that we can make it to the end of the line. The foundation of our project is a very innovative sensor. Specs are incredible. We hope that we can help make 2006 a very interesting year.

Jim Jannard

www.red.com

4k@red.com

• Premium Member
I hope this camera is achievable... we are working overtime and throwing a lot of resources at the project. We have great intentions to deliver a camera that is measurably more capable than what is currently available or that we see on the horizon from other companies. We have added some great industry consultants as "adult supervision" to our other assets to do such a project. We currently have a great design team, optical and electronic engineers, 3D CAD modeling, liquid laser prototype equipment, electron beam gun vapor deposition machines. 5 axis mills, full testing capability, a titanium casting plant and a strong sense that we can make it to the end of the line. The foundation of our project is a very innovative sensor. Specs are incredible. We hope that we can help make 2006 a very interesting year.

Jim Jannard

www.red.com

4k@red.com

Hi Jim,

I wish you good luck.

Stephen

• Premium Member
We currently have a great design team, optical and electronic engineers, 3D CAD modeling, liquid laser prototype equipment, electron beam gun vapor deposition machines.

an electron beam gun vapor deposition machine... that sounds like a weapon out of a james bond movie... something that will destroy the moon or something.

Sorry I had to... This sounds like a great camera, lets hope it doesnt go the way of the kinnetta.

Guest Jim Murdoch
The foundation of our project is a very innovative sensor. Specs are incredible.

Jim Jannard

www.red.com

4k@red.com

Is there an actual working sample (not necessarily boxed up into a practical "movie" camera)? I noticed that the images on your website weren't taken with that camera. Surely you could knock something up that works in still camera mode; my Sony Cybershot has nearly that many pixels!

Statement of Curmudgeonity:

*Like Dalsa, you keep referring to a 4k Monochrome sensor with a Bayer pattern as producing "4K" images, which it clearly can't.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

excerpted from thinksecret.com

Sources note that Apple's Final Cut Extreme announcement will coincide with Red's upcoming 4K digital cinema camera, a revolutionary piece of equipment that is said will be priced upwards of $200,000. Pricing for Final Cut Extreme is said to be similarly up-market, approaching $10,000 a seat, and will require the latest hardware from Apple.

Mike at hdforindies.com has a discussion going for a new 4K res camera called the RED Camera targeted at Independent Filmmakers and will be priced with that target group in mind.

There's also a discussion over at DVInfo.net with the creators of RED. http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=56185

What does everyone here think of this camera? Achievable or not?

Cheers,

Tim

I have a REALLY hard time believing a 4k HD camera is supposed to be "targeted at indie filmmakers." The most expensive film ever made, the new Superman, only used the (currently) 2k Genesis. Indie films are luck to afford an F900 with a zoom lens.

I third the Curmudgeonly Statement, but I am interested to see what comes. They are least well funded.

• Premium Member
Sources note that Apple's Final Cut Extreme announcement will coincide with Red's upcoming 4K digital cinema camera, a revolutionary piece of equipment that is said will be priced upwards of $200,000. Pricing for Final Cut Extreme is said to be similarly up-market, approaching $10,000 a seat, and will require the latest hardware from Apple

This think secret post is a classic case of someone posting balony because they're bored and/or a twat- take a theoretical camera and no knowledge and make something up. i was going to reply to this when i saw it on think secret but it was so stupid i couldn't even be bothered. firstly there is no final cut extreme, what exactly would it be??? there is no pricing for a camera that doesn't even exist and there would be no software/ hardware support from a busy r and d department for something theoretical. FCP at the moment is going through changes and an intel version of FCP5 is apple's priority. I do expect 2K editing to be a possibilty on the next major upgrade of FCP, but considering how hard it is to currently edit HD 4:4:4 this is low on my list (after the new fibre channel/ other IO storage). No one and I mean no one would want to edit at 4k. editing at HD is nice, but I cant see any advantage to editing above this resolution (the main reason for offline editing at HD is to check focus and because it looks pretty for the client). 2k editing will be more for online purposes and a next gen FCP could feasably conform 4k (from proxies)- this would still be a storage nightmare. finally it is not in apple's interest to go turnkey with FCP, neither would charging $10,000 a seat. Sources=bollocks. there is no point in printing stuff from think secret on this site, as without a severly good bullshit filtre and a solid understanding of apple there is little to be gained.

Keith