Looking for good quality fish eye lens to rent

Lars.Erik

Hello.

I'm doing a reality show in Arizona in January/February of 2006. We're shooting on the SDX900. And I'm in search for a good fisheye lens for 2/3 inch cam for rental. Do you know of any such suppliers in this area?

Best regards and thanks for any info

Lars Erik

• Premium Member
Hello.

I'm doing a reality show in Arizona in January/February of 2006. We're shooting on the SDX900. And I'm in search for a good fisheye lens for 2/3 inch cam for rental. Do you know of any such suppliers in this area?

Best regards and thanks for any info

Lars Erik

I can't imagine your producer would go for it but you could get a Pro35 with a Nikon mount and use the Nikkor 8mm. You'd really have to want it. Not great for hand-held. The widest 2/3" lens I've ever shot with (or seen) is the Fuji A13x4.5 which is pretty wide at 88º. Fuji also makes a 0.55x fisheye attachment that will fit on that lens that's gotta vignette pretty seriously but that get's you around 160º.

Good luck.

Thanks Jim, I've used the prime lens on a set before. But this was fiction, and a different way of shooting. So I don't think I'll get that. I've already talked the producer into having cranes and steadicam on the set at all times. :-)

The shots were just going to be used in helicopter shots and a few landscape shots.

Lars Erik

• 10 months later...
I can't imagine your producer would go for it but you could get a Pro35 with a Nikon mount and use the Nikkor 8mm. You'd really have to want it. Not great for hand-held. The widest 2/3" lens I've ever shot with (or seen) is the Fuji A13x4.5 which is pretty wide at 88º. Fuji also makes a 0.55x fisheye attachment that will fit on that lens that's gotta vignette pretty seriously but that get's you around 160º.

Good luck.

Hi Tim,

I ran across your post reply from a couple of years ago when doing a search for fisheyes and the Pro35 adaptor. The rental house says that the Nikkor 8mm vignettes with the Pro35 adaptor and 2/3" target. Have you used the 8mm, Pro35 adaptor, and 2/3" pickup? I've used 35 primes as wide as 12mm with Pro35 shooting HD quite often, but never a fisheye.

Tony Stewart

NJ DP

• Premium Member
Hi Tim,

I ran across your post reply from a couple of years ago when doing a search for fisheyes and the Pro35 adaptor. The rental house says that the Nikkor 8mm vignettes with the Pro35 adaptor and 2/3" target. Have you used the 8mm, Pro35 adaptor, and 2/3" pickup? I've used 35 primes as wide as 12mm with Pro35 shooting HD quite often, but never a fisheye.

Tony Stewart

NJ DP

The Nikon 8mm vignettes no matter what you're shooting (edit) 2/3" chips or larger (edit). I think the widest full-frame Nikon lens is the 18mm. Anything wider and you start to lose the corners. I'd do what John said if you can find someone with Digiprimes to rent but they're not cheap and that particular Digiprime is bound to be a rarity. I've never seen one though I've never gone looking.