In need for information about NP78 ORWO film

Gregory PAUL

Hi there,

Anybody know the ORWO NP78 film stock ? I've been offered a NP78 roll that I want to buy for mag scratch tests and maybe for registration tests and so on... I'd like to know this film's specifications and to be sure that it has an acetate support to run it into my camera.

Thanks for help.

Merry Christmas !!!

Gregory

• Premium Member
Hi there,

Anybody know the ORWO NP78 film stock ? I've been offered a NP78 roll that I want to buy for mag scratch tests and maybe for registration tests and so on... I'd like to know this film's specifications and to be sure that it has an acetate support to run it into my camera.

Thanks for help.

Merry Christmas !!!

Gregory

http://www.filmotec.de are the folks that curently own the ORWO trademark for Motion Picture film. They DON't this that type on their site, so perhaps it is not current. They have a negative film called N74 http://www.filmotec.de/English_Site/Produc...4_e/n_74_e.html

perhaps sending an e-mial to the contact us on the web site might get a reply...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For those who could be interested, here is the kind reply obtained from Filmotec:

"In regarding to your inquiry to ORWO NP78 I have to inform there are not much information about this film. I have not technical information or any data sheets.

It seems the NP78 is a variety of ORWO NP7, produced in beginning of 90th of last century. I assume the base was acetate. The speed of NC7 was ISO 400/27° ."

since it is not sold anymore, they don't know much about this film but I was plesaed to receive a reply anyway. Altough the Orwo NP78 speed is: 320/26° (as mentioned on my film can)

Gregory

AFAIK, there never was an ORWO NP78 stock, but an NP77. I had to use it in 1991-1993, and it was a terrible stock.

While their low speed (ASA 80) stock NP55 was excellent and very finegrained, the high speed NP77 was extremely grainy and had a thicker, more dense base. I recall many mechanical problems with NP77, like nicks in the base, abrasive emulsion and a tendency to warp/curl in certain drying cabinets at the lab.

So even when it was new, NP77 was a pain in the ***, and after at least 15 years, it will look even worse. <_<

Avoid it, and if you want a decent highspeed b&w stock, get a roll of Filmotec N74, it is excellent in every respect and rather cheap. Do a test and see if you like it. I love Filmotec's UN54 (ASA80) and N74 (ASA400) because they give a kind of vintage b&w look. B)

BTW, I believe NC7 was a color neg stock (non-compatible with ECN), I will look it up in a old ORWO brochure from 1987 if I can find it.

Edited by Christian Appelt