Favorite music vids?

Jonathan Spear

Some of my favorite music videos in terms of cinematography:

Nine Inch Nails / Head Like a Hole

Marylin Manson / Beautiful People (btw -- anyone know who directed it?)

Bjork / All is Full of Love

GNR / You Could Be Mine

Metallica / Enter Sandman

Tenacious D / Wonderboy

Green Jello (y?) / Three Little Pigs

Arrested Development / Everyday People

A Perfect Circle / Weak and Powerless

Nirvana / Smells Like Teen Spirit

Michael Jackson / Thriller

Live concerts:

Pink Floyd - Live at Pompei

Pink Floyd - The Wall

Steve Vai - Live at the Astoria

Led Zeppelin - Live at Madison Square Garden

Among others..

Anyone else?

I personally like

Nine Inch Nails / The perfect Drug

Marilyn Manson´s Beautiful People was Directed by Floria Sigismondi, very talented director, She and Sam Bayer are one of the finest and best Music Videos Director´s. And of course, same as Marcus Nispel and others.

Oscar

• Premium Member

Chris Cunnigham:

- Björk - All is full of Love

- Portishead - Only You

Michel Gondry:

- The Chemical Brothers - Let Forever Be

- Björk - Army of Me & Human Behaviour

Jake Scott:

- Smashing Pumpkins - Everybody Hurts

Jonathan Dayton & Valerie Faris:

- Smashing Pumpkins - 1979

Im not quite sure, but Michael Bay $ Schwartzman have done some pretty fancy Musical Videos for Guns and Roses when G´N¨R were in vogue, they were with Propaganda Films, they used to do advertising first before jumping into features.

Guest Markus

I guess my picks for TOP 3 would be:

Johnny Cash "Hurt" by Mark Romanek

Fatboy Slim "Praise You" by Spike Jonze

The White Stripes "The Denial Twist" by Michel Gondry

I love Mark Romanek's work- particularly "Cochise" by Audioslave and "El Scorcho" by Weezer. And, on the feature length, how can one forget the greatest concert film of all time, "The Last Waltz!"

Edited by mpanc1

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
Im not quite sure, but Michael Bay $ Schwartzman have done some pretty fancy Musical Videos for Guns and Roses when G´N¨R were in vogue, they were with Propaganda Films, they used to do advertising first before jumping into features.

Nigel Dick/Vance Burberry = "Sweet Child O' Mine"

As for long form I've always loved Sting's "Bring On the Night".

But favorite? Here are a few I like:

Audio Slave - "Doesn't Remind Me" - Chris Milk

John Mellancamp - "Walk Tall" - Chris Milk

Jewel - "Goodbye Alice in Wonderland" - Matthew Rolston.

*Free Hugs Campaign feat. "Sick Puppies"*

Beastie Boys - "Sabotage" - Spike

The Chemical Brothers - "Star Guitar" - Gondry

Cibo Matto - "Sugar Water" - Gondry

A-Ha - "Take On Me" - Steve Barron

Wow. I miss music videos. Sure wish they still made them.

I haven't seen one in so long, I'll have to think deep to moments in some videos that really stuck out.

The Bjork Video, "So Quite" where she raises up into the air at the end is still a moment that I'll always remember. Spike Jonze, I think.

Nine Inch Nails, "Hurt" I think. With they wicked snake and that so real that it cool shot of they bird diving 5 feet under water from the fishes POV.

Nine Inch Nails, can't think of the name, with the awesome vintage camera handcranked footage. Not only vintage camera but vintage lens' I think. You have to go all out anddo it right.

I might get a virtual kick in the balls for this one, but Madonna's "Ray of light" has some really cool images. time_lapse is my forte. They even pixelated Madonna to do these weird movements, which is gutsy since you would think vanity would overrule anything clever and cool looking.

How about Twisted Sister's "I want to Rock." That fat dude at the begining loks just like this fat head banger I knew when I was growing up. His name was/is Timothy McVey. Nothing ever went right for that poor kid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Here's a short list my favorites:

Rammstein - "Sonne"

Aha - "Take On me"

Johnny Cash - "Hurt"

Apocalyptica feat. Nina Hagen - "Seemann"

and I think there's some nice gags (passport photos!) in "Nikita" by Elton John... :D

Cheers, Dave

Edited by David Auner

sorry to hijack this thread, but i am looking for a music video, which features a girl, singing and walking, the steadycam tracking her from the front, and everything around her sometimes moves faster, sometimes slower, they apparently over and undercranked while shooting and adjusting the audio playback, since she's always lipsync!

thanks for any answers, regards from vienna

I can´t believe no one has mentioned TOOL´s music videos, directed by their guitarist Adam Jones (he´s a professional special effects guy, got attacked by a buffalo while shooting Dancing with Wolves). All of them where directed by him, except their very very first one, which I forgot the name. Sober, Stinkfist, Aenima, etc... they are my favorites as well as Beautiful People, Sweet Dreams, Tourniquete by Floria Sigismondi (professional still photographer turned music videos director/dop), mentioned above.

Jorge Espinosa

PD: as far as live stuff, THE UP IN SMOKE TOUR is awesome

Edited by Jorge Espinosa

quickly off the top of my head (and going with a theme here)

Feist '1234'

Jamiroquai - 'Virtual Insanity'

Love those long shot choreographed - simple but at the same time 'tricky' vids ...

Also:

Chemical Brothers 'Elektobank'

Sofia Coppola stars in 1997 as a gymnast ... really nice editing in sync with the audio with the exception of the bit at 1:54 "all right check this out" - the edit is late IMO - maybe my downloaded version has the audio out of sync, but that would mean all the other (really nice) cuts are out ... despite some clunky 'acting' it just works, super cool ...

Chemical Brothers 'Let Forever Be' as some one else has already listed - very 'Science of Sleep' (with came after)

and last but not least:

APHEX TWIN - 'WINDOW LICKER'

If you have not seen this please do so - skip most of the beginning if it gets a little dry, trust me its worth it.

Bat For Lashes - Whats a Girl To Do - is well worth checking out as an interesting recent vid, nice and creepy with lots of anamorphic lens flare.

Plan B - 'no Good' - lots of stop motion fun

Blur 'Coffee and TV' - great example of storytelling with the music video form

Gomez 'We Havent turned around' - Also a nice short film to music.

Orbital - 'The Box' - great stopmotion very creepy

Peter Gabriel 'Sledgehammer' - loverly stop motion from aardman, blew me away when I first saw it as a kid, big influence on me

Beastie Boys - Sabotage - love it, my favorite spike Jonze video, although praise you is up there

amyiz6.jpg

Far and away my favorite is "My Immortal" with Evanescence.

The location photography in Barcelona is mind-blowingly beautiful.

I also like Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game."

Edited by Tom Lowe