Beaulieu R16 sound synch pulse socket

Scot McPhie

Does anyone know what the level coming out of the sych pulse socket on the side of the R16 is - what I mean is - do you need the pilottone converter to make it a safe or useable level to plug it into an audio recording device - or can you just plug it straight into a recording device as is?

-- I'm trying to get my "super rig" going - I've got the video split going into a miniDV camcorder - both as a view finder and to record the split as well - but I'm thinking of running audio into it too - one channel for the sych pulse and one channel for the live audio.

I'm going to mount a shot gun mic on the shoulder rig as well to record the audio. Of course the camera will be as noisy as hell - but once I resolve the live audio I will have a frame accurate reference version for the over dubs.

As far as over dubs go - I'm thinking two things - one is to record the actors doing the scene again directly after we've filmed it - this will go straight onto the minidv tape (with out the r16 running) and will be used for over dubs (hopefully preserving performance qualities and ambient sound/acoustic properties) - I've found through experience alot of the time the synch on these can be made to match reasonable well.

The other is the convential overdub process - in a studio - but once I've cut a scene together it'd be interesting to try and worldise it as Lucas refers to it - ie taking the recording outside and playing it through a set of speakers in the environment it was meant to come from and then recording that.

The good thing about the minidv tape too is that capturing it wuold be a breeze - I'd have every take as seen through the video split with the audio for reference and then I'd have it followed the actual noise free audio for the overdubs - it'd all be in sequential order which would make working with it all and finding what you need fairly easy.

Anyway any tips on the pulse socket on the R16 would be appreciated

thanks

Scot

Does anyone know what the level coming out of the sych pulse socket on the side of the R16 is - what I mean is - do you need the pilottone converter to make it a safe or useable level to plug it into an audio recording device - or can you just plug it straight into a recording device as is?

--

OK,this is going back a few years.The socket on the side runs a synchro pilot generator.The generator puts out a 60 cycle pulse.If memory serves,there is a female BNC jack,the cable plugs in there and the other end is a multi pin that plugs into your deck.I've used it with a Nagra 3 and a Uher 4000 and as I recall sync would hold for a good minute or so before it would drift about 1 or 2 frames.

OK,this is going back a few years.The socket on the side runs a synchro pilot generator.The generator puts out a 60 cycle pulse.If memory serves,there is a female BNC jack,the cable plugs in there and the other end is a multi pin that plugs into your deck.I've used it with a Nagra 3 and a Uher 4000 and as I recall sync would hold for a good minute or so before it would drift about 1 or 2 frames.

Thanks for your reply Marty - but I'm still a bit unclear - does the socket on the side of the camera emmit an electrical pulse - or is it a mechanical socket with the electrical pulse being generated by the pilot tone device?

thanks

Scot

Thanks for your reply Marty - but I'm still a bit unclear - does the socket on the side of the camera emmit an electrical pulse - or is it a mechanical socket with the electrical pulse being generated by the pilot tone device?

thanks

Scot

The socket on the side is just a coupling for a sync pulse generator which you will need.I've seen them on ebay for next to nothing.