How much better

Guest Relentless Filmaker

Just a general question for anybody who has used these two lenses. Would it be better to have two cookes or a set of ziess. I have a limited budget and cant afford a whole set of cookes but I can a set of zeiss.

• Premium Member
Just a general question for anybody who has used these two lenses. Would it be better to have two cookes or a set of ziess. I have a limited budget and cant afford a whole set of cookes but I can a set of zeiss.

Hi,

I like the look of Cooke S4's very much, however they are fairly expensive to rent. If I only needed 2 lenese for a shoot, I would take the Cookes. If I needed 5 lenses then I would take the Zeiss Set. Its a decision I have to make all the time!

Stephen

PS

The Cooke S4 , Zeiss Ultra Primes and Master Primes have very wide spaced focus marks. Older Zeiss lens do not.

Many great-looking features were shot for many years using Zeiss SuperSpeeds, so it isn't as if they were useless doorstops. If you would like to have a few choices in your lens set, then get the Zeiss glass. Yes the Cookes are better, but the Zeisses are good glass.

• Premium Member

They're all very good. I tend to use the old High Spees series because I like their spacing and nimbleness (and they're just right when it comes to sharpness). But the Super Speeds have a very nice romantic quality when shot wide open - the resolution really drops below T2.0 and they start to look very organic. The Cooke S4's are fine lenses that I've used a couple of times. I just recently shot with the new Master Primes wide open for the entire shoot, but I haven't seen the results yet. I'll post as I know more.

But the Super Speeds have a very nice romantic quality when shot wide open - the resolution really drops below T2.0 and they start to look very organic.

Thank you for your imput however I am a bit concused because if they are wide open they would be below T2 those lenses open to a T 1.3 So what do you mean by Organic? Im not being sarcastic I really just dont understand.

• Premium Member

As you know most lenses start to lose resolution wide open, therefore it's recommended to stop down slightly if you want to improve quality. This is true for almost all lenses (Zeiss claim their new Master Primes are as good wide opens as stopped down, but I don't know...).

But some lenses resolution fall apart to a much higher degree than other lenses when used wide open - the Super Speeds are one of those lenses. So from T22 all the way down to about T2 these lenses are very crisp. But below T2 and T1.3 they become quite soft. Now, this softness, for me and many other DP's, is very pretty.

There's nothing like a close-up wide open of a face with these lenses - absolutely beautiful. That's what I meant by organic.

In this video I shot years ago, all the close-ups were shot wide open. It's hard to tell on these small photos, but they had a very organic, soft, inviting feel to them.

http://www.adamfrisch.com/music/september/index.html

Adam thank you so much for all your imput I really appreciate it. The camera Im getting is super 35 and it has the std Zeiss 2.1 lenses wich I used for my last video but they were almost too crisp I will say they looked too clean if that makes any sense, I like the softer look, I dont want a crisp lens that shows all the blemishes of the face, but if the budget gets much tighter I will be using those lenses but I think I can sneak in the super speeds 1.3 very reasonable, Im wondering how much different they look than the 2.1 Zeiss.

• 1 month later...

I have both of S4 Set and Ziess UP Lens set.....

Must ask you first that wihich kinds of producst will you to shoot. This is point.....If you would like to much sharp picture....please choose Ziess....but if you woulke soft picture such as people...food....or etc...please back to look at S4.......then..please forget to look at zoom also....Ziess is match with Angenieux...

Best Regards,

Yoi Camera Corner Thailand