Varicam 24p. shutter angle set up

Valentina Caniglia

Hi all,

I am shooting a film with the Varicam and I did a test yesterday to try different shutter angle options in combination with frame rate.

My first setup was film rec mode shutter 1/60 , 24p.

I watched the monitor and saw a slightly blurred effect on the image when the talent was walking.

I changed the shutter at 180 degree with 24p and 30p. I also tried variuos combination with shutter and frame rate but blurred effect was still there.

Anyone knows what is the regular the shutter's angle set up for Varicam 24p. in NTSC?

Thanks

V.

Hi all,

I am shooting a film with the Varicam and I did a test yesterday to try different shutter angle options in combination with frame rate.

My first setup was film rec mode shutter 1/60 , 24p.

I watched the monitor and saw a slightly blurred effect on the image when the talent was walking.

I changed the shutter at 180 degree with 24p and 30p. I also tried variuos combination with shutter and frame rate but blurred effect was still there.

Anyone knows what is the regular the shutter's angle set up for Varicam 24p. in NTSC?

Thanks

V.

Check that the shutter switch is in the ON position, it sounds like the shutter is off.

• Premium Member

When the shutter is off, the exposure is 1/24th second (at 24fps). The camera should display shutter settings in degrees. If it is not, you can go into the menus and change from fractions to degrees.

I never shoot less than 180 degree shutter, unless I need the extra light.

Chris Bell

Note: There are four or five shutter position settings. You can customize them as you like, between degrees and fractions. The 1/100 setting is special. It allows you to make frame rate changes without affecting exposure. You can find the setting in the menus.

• Premium Member

"Normal" shutter speed for 24P to match a film look is 1/48th of a second, i.e. 180 degrees, but 1/60th would be close enough, be similar-looking.

Shutter "off" would be 1/24th at 24P, which would give you more blur / smear to the motion.

24 fps is not a particularly high sampling rate for motion even with a film camera, so some strobe is to be expected, and a certain amount of blur is needed to create the feeling of continuous motion. You also have to factor in your monitor and how it is displaying the 24P signal -- most CRT monitors are showing it to you as 48i.