black pro mist on sony z1

goro toshima

hi all,

i'm shooting a doc. on the sony z1 camera...

i'm using the black pro mist filter on a lot of the shooting. i know that i should be careful on wide shots outdoors. but, i was wondering if there are any other issues i should be concerned about, especially considering that there is a strong possiblity of blowing up final project to film.

should i be concerned that black speckles may show up once blown up?

do you guys reccommend that i use filter very judiciously? or is it fairly safe to use in most situations?

thanks a lot in advance for any advice.

goro

hi all,

i'm shooting a doc. on the sony z1 camera...

i'm using the black pro mist filter on a lot of the shooting. i know that i should be careful on wide shots outdoors. but, i was wondering if there are any other issues i should be concerned about, especially considering that there is a strong possiblity of blowing up final project to film.

should i be concerned that black speckles may show up once blown up?

do you guys reccommend that i use filter very judiciously? or is it fairly safe to use in most situations?

thanks a lot in advance for any advice.

goro

The Black Pro Mist is best used at wider apertures, I'd be worried about the large depth of field that you get with these 1/3" CCD. cameras. Have you checked the effect on a HD monitor?

If you're doing a 35mm film out I'd have thought you'd be fighting for all the resolution you can get from the camera. Reports coming out seem to indicate that the 35mm blow up quality seems to be very similar to regular 16mm, so any diffusion is going hit your wide shots. Personally, for a blow up I'd go clean unless it was a special visual effect.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

re black pro-mist...

... I'd be inclined to use a subtlist' version of the filter... but which are you using? 1/2. 1/4, 1/8...? I'd do some testing to be sure but if you're going to film then shooting clean and good grading/tk might be best. On (normal) cameras I've used the filter behind the lens, obviously you can't with the Z1... With these cameras I'm more concerned with getting a good exposure (normally 1/2 a stop under) and critical focus that anything else. I'd use a mattebox and add nd to control the dof for the best results... unless the dof is right the brain in these cameras tends to do the 'sharpening thing and make faces look soft against a detailed background....

Have fun,

Rupe W