NEW PRODUCT - OB/Studio adapter for DV cams

Ben Fisher

Hello All,

We are announcing a new product, the sprintDV:

The sprintDV is a OB/Studio adapter that converts virtually any camcorder into a outside broadcast or studio camera. Using CAT5 cable the sprintDV can operate over 1,000 ft. from it's base station; as well as program video & audio the sprintDV includes comprehensive tally and talkback systems as well as an auxiliary audio channel for 'program mix'.

www.sprintdv.com

Kind regards,

Ben Fisher

UNIT Ltd, UK

I've had some experience in trying very low-cost multicam registrations and this machine truly is interesting. Tally, sound, video and intercom over Cat5: waw!

But when I was fiddling with three ENG camcorders (one betaSP, a digiBeta with RCU + one digital head with SP dock) we had a lot of work matching all cameras. I've even popped open the old SP a few times to correct phase and color on the circuit board. This very nifty device just can't sync all the DV-cameras, it's impossible.

by the way, opening up a betaSP is an interesting experience, but do it with someone that knows what he's doing. This way you'll learn a lot and you'll realize you don't need a digibeta with RCU for cine-style gamma, a higher black level or saturated colors: you need a screwdriver!

Hi Phil,

There are many many people using the XL1/PD150/170 etc. on quite respectable TV; only this evening in the UK there were two programs which contained a substantial amount of DV work (one on BBC2 one on ITV1).

The whole point of the sprintDV is to give the many users of DV the flexability (without the cost) enjoyed by triax enabled cameras. This is in the same vain as the people who spend as much on a manual follow focus/mattebox for a DVX100 as the camera itself...

Ben

www.sprintDV.com

• Premium Member

Hi,

I understand what it's for and who you're aiming it at, but I don't think it's entirely complete to say that because people are using XL-1s for location work to tape, that they're suitable for live work. If you shoot to tape, you're getting a component signal in the end. Unless your system takes the 1394 live out of the camera and turns it into component on triax, it's inherently stuck with the extremely mediocre composite or Y/C outputs on these cameras which is much less good than their component recordings.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Whilst 1394 is certainly more 'purist' than composite video, it also must be converted to SDI (not the market the sprintDV is aimed at), or down to composite/YC (which assumes the converter is better than the one in the camera). Firewire over CAT5 is range limited by basic physics and any attempt to buck the speed down would end in much complexity.

Fiber is unfortuatley the only way to get 1394 to equal the range of the sprintDV; this however results in expensive cables and zero chance of field termination (I have experience of this!) - the CAT5 used by the sprintDV costs between $0.10 and $0.30/metre and can be terminated in 20 seconds with a $20 tool (connectors being $0.35 each).

A full camera channel of triax is the other option; but you would end up filling the boot/trunk of most cars with the cable [and it would weigh >100lb - not including a windup drum]. - certainly be full-broadcast standard but at what price (10-20 times the complete cost of a sprintDV AND camera).

Hence the sprintDV...

Ben

www.sprintdv.com