New Reel Version

Dominik Muench

• Premium Member

Looks great, love ethe b/w. Good music choice, great job editing.

If I had to lose anything it'd be the girls at the beach, it looks nice but doesn't convey as much as your other shots which are all very dynamic and fluid.

Really, impressive.

Looks great, love ethe b/w. Good music choice, great job editing.

If I had to lose anything it'd be the girls at the beach, it looks nice but doesn't convey as much as your other shots which are all very dynamic and fluid.

Really, impressive.

thank you :)

yeah im not so sure about the shot with the three 3 by the rock, right at the beginning is a big reflector glow on the first girl, thats preety obvious and i think i have to loose that.

what do the others think ?

hi

i think the reel is to repeted as the girl in b&w and the man with the white strap jaket

anther thing is that i cant see any personal style. why shuld one work with you?? and not with the 100 more dp how want the same job??

there same good things in the reel but thay got lost its beter to have short reel but amayzing one

think what you most like and represent your personal style even if its not the most trendy right now but i think will help you to geat jubs.

look at the work of same masters like

conrad hall

chris doyle

harrise savidas

storraro

to name a few

hope this will halp .

hi,

thanks for the comment.

the problem is, im just at the begining of my (hopefully) career as dop and i wouldnt say that i have something like a personal style yet, style takes time to develop. wouldnt it be better to show versatility and that i can handle different looks ?

but yeah youre right i might take out some of the similar scenes.

Edited by Dmuench

some very nice stuff there

I would do two things

create a shorter teaser taking your reel and doing this (see below) - then put up 2 or three complete shots (the mad guy MV and the newspaper thing or something) so if people want more detail they can get it

Shortening of demo reel suggestions -

FIRST come in with the best work (the underwater stuff, the mad MV or something) - you have 3 seconds to hook us then shorten

* the three girls - coming out of the water (after the typewriter) - come into the shot later - where they are all standing cause it looks weird to me - like they are waiting for something

*loose the girl in high contrast doing the hand whirl thing before the under water shot - in fact i am tempted to say lose all her shots

*The under water shot has diver bubbles - but that is hard to get around now

*loose the girl with the firehose and the three girls on the beach with the reflector bounce movement

*get rid of the close up of the girl - after the race through the forest scene - her body shot is good but the face doesn't work

*loose the girl on the beach right at the end - blowing in the wind fabric shot

otherwise some great stuff

thanks

Rolfe

If I were you I would put all the shots you want to you use from each particular show together. When you show us your coral look or your B/W look and then later on you come back to it, I feel like you are showing me something I've already seen. I would put a few shots from each look together, show what you can do with that look, and then move on and show what else you are good at. Just my opinion though. Thanks for putting it on the web, it looks good.

Travis

I tried that I my first couple of reels and everyone always notices. You might get away with it if you have drastically different looks within one film, but even casual viewer will notice that you are coming back to the same music video. Maybe just try keeping all the same footage you have now, but group all the footage together with the same look and see how you like it.

Travis

• 2 weeks later...
Guest boydmcc

I like your work. Here are some suggestions:

1. The opening says :60 second showreel, but your reel is actually over 2 and 1/2 minutes. I like that you put a length there, but it should be accurate :)

2. Building on what the others have said, you might want to start with a quick montage of your work, then group them, spending a little more time with each group. The groups could be long form, short form, commercial, music video, narrative, etc. - whatever you have done, and select an editing style that reflects the form. If you have a narrative, you can take a few different clips (from the beginning, middle, end) that show how you are using light to tell the story. You could even have a title for each section so people watching know what they are looking at.

3. I liked your music at first, but then it became repetitive and didn't add anything new, which then made your work feel repetitive. Looking at suggestion #2, you could have one selection for your montage, then a new piece of music for each section.

4. I would use some of the sound that goes with the actual work you are showing, so we get a sense of what kind of piece it was. Being a dp isn't just about creating beautiful shots, it's about using light to help tell a story, evoke a mood, etc. By allowing us to see/hear what was going on in a scene, it gives us a better idea about your use of light for that scene.

Just my $.02. Good work. BTW, were you also the camera operator for some/all of the stuff on your reel? (it might be worth noting if you were on the reel).

I like your work. Here are some suggestions:

1. The opening says :60 second showreel, but your reel is actually over 2 and 1/2 minutes. I like that you put a length there, but it should be accurate :)

2. Building on what the others have said, you might want to start with a quick montage of your work, then group them, spending a little more time with each group. The groups could be long form, short form, commercial, music video, narrative, etc. - whatever you have done, and select an editing style that reflects the form. If you have a narrative, you can take a few different clips (from the beginning, middle, end) that show how you are using light to tell the story. You could even have a title for each section so people watching know what they are looking at.

3. I liked your music at first, but then it became repetitive and didn't add anything new, which then made your work feel repetitive. Looking at suggestion #2, you could have one selection for your montage, then a new piece of music for each section.

4. I would use some of the sound that goes with the actual work you are showing, so we get a sense of what kind of piece it was. Being a dp isn't just about creating beautiful shots, it's about using light to help tell a story, evoke a mood, etc. By allowing us to see/hear what was going on in a scene, it gives us a better idea about your use of light for that scene.

Just my $.02. Good work. BTW, were you also the camera operator for some/all of the stuff on your reel? (it might be worth noting if you were on the reel).

hi,

you mean the reel link on my page ? uhm strange i have to check that, i uploaded my new reel yesterday and i could swear i changed the duration on the page too, but ill check :) thanks for letting me know.

yes i operated on all the clips myself, what do you mean it might be worth nothing on the reel ?

• Premium Member

it all looks good. but your problem is the problem all of us upstarts have: we don't have enough material. we want the next job that will get us more good material for the reel...

so, what do you do? well, i'm sitting here in NYC and i'm sure it's very different here than in Australia so take my comments with a grain of salt, please.

You have some great stuff and I think you are editorially going in the right direction (i recall an older reel version of yours). I think you need to bite the bullet and drop the "cutting back and forth routine". It's a hard move and one I am trying to make right now myself but it's inevitable. ie:If you have only shot five good projects just show them end to end. do NOT intercut them. if this shortens your reel to 45 seconds, so be it. You have some strong material. let it play. directors want to see how you can cover a scene and follow the story. pretty pictures are not going to get you real jobs.

Do you have any material with original audio that is good? you should use it. perhaps for just one or two scenes and then go into the "montage" with the cool music.

remember, the montage reeks of amature. it's the bloody truth.

maybe think of it as little trailers for each project you have done...

of course the real deal is having a dvd with menus of clips of various work and full commercials full shorts etc. but untill you can do that you have to think that way. because that's where you want to be. the 4.5 minute montage VHS tape is DOA.

good luck

FB

Guest boydmcc
hi,

yes i operated on all the clips myself, what do you mean it might be worth nothing on the reel ?

Hi,

The word I used was "noting", as in making note of, mentioning, highlighting, drawing attention to. I definitely think it's worth something. Folks may be looking for a DP who can also operate a camera - you could mention at the beginning, even in parenthesis, that you did camera on all the footage in the reel.

Sorry for any confusion!

Regards,

Boyd

it all looks good. but your problem is the problem all of us upstarts have: we don't have enough material. we want the next job that will get us more good material for the reel...

so, what do you do? well, i'm sitting here in NYC and i'm sure it's very different here than in Australia so take my comments with a grain of salt, please.

You have some great stuff and I think you are editorially going in the right direction (i recall an older reel version of yours). I think you need to bite the bullet and drop the "cutting back and forth routine". It's a hard move and one I am trying to make right now myself but it's inevitable. ie:If you have only shot five good projects just show them end to end. do NOT intercut them. if this shortens your reel to 45 seconds, so be it. You have some strong material. let it play. directors want to see how you can cover a scene and follow the story. pretty pictures are not going to get you real jobs.

Do you have any material with original audio that is good? you should use it. perhaps for just one or two scenes and then go into the "montage" with the cool music.

remember, the montage reeks of amature. it's the bloody truth.

maybe think of it as little trailers for each project you have done...

of course the real deal is having a dvd with menus of clips of various work and full commercials full shorts etc. but untill you can do that you have to think that way. because that's where you want to be. the 4.5 minute montage VHS tape is DOA.

good luck

FB

thanks for the comment, looks like i might have to do it the way you guys suggest. yes ive got material with original audio, i think i try that out in a new reel version.

Hi,

The word I used was "noting", as in making note of, mentioning, highlighting, drawing attention to. I definitely think it's worth something. Folks may be looking for a DP who can also operate a camera - you could mention at the beginning, even in parenthesis, that you did camera on all the footage in the reel.

Sorry for any confusion!

Regards,

Boyd

haha sorry must have understood that wrong :/

i was also thinking of mentioning that im available as camera/lighting assistant.

do you think thats a good idea or should i strictly "sell" myself as a dop ?