ESTEC or Flatbed

Marty Hamrick

Part of what I do from time to time is restoring old films and prepare them for telecine transfer.Sometimes the folks I do this work for want a film to project as well.I work with alot of 16mm mag striped newsfilm,in fact not long ago I rescued about 40 years worth of some imporatnt historical newsfilm when the station that owned it wanted to throw it out.I'm still organizing much of it.It amazes me that much of this important history was being trashed.I have film of Batista in exile that was headed for the dumpster as well as Hurricane Dora hitting Jacksonville in 1964 and the early Cival Rights marches when Dr.Martin Luther King Jr. was in St.Augustine.

Recently some super 8 projects were given me that were done back in the 70's on multiple formats.Some Ekatsound,some Optasound double system and even some old Bell and Howell Filmosound (anyone remember those beasts?).Not everything needs to be telecined.I have to sift through much of this and figure out what sound goes with what picture and separate wheat from chaff to save on telecine costs.Much of it would be easier to sync and rough cut if I had an old S-8 flatbed or Optasound ESTEC,but no one seems to know where such can be dug up.

I even had some regular 8 film with mag stripe that I managed to save the soundtrack on for transfer.I found an old Fairchild sound projector at a flea market in St.Augustine.

Hope some of you might have some suggestions.

Also John P.,most of this film is in amazingly good shape considering that it wasn't stored in exactly the best of conditions,nor was it processed under the best lab conditions (TV station processors)however do you have any suggestions for preserving and protecting old originals?

Marty

Thanks but I have a projector and a viewer.I need something to sync sound to pix here.West Palm Beach, a very good friend of mine is an anchor/reporter for one of the stations there,Ted White,you know him?He was a lot of fun to work with,great sense of humor kept me in stitches when I worked with him.

Marty