NighttimeCityline Time Lapse Settings?

Brian Broz

Hi,

I am doing some testing with the HVX200, but since the users of Varicam tend to have more cinematography and "real world" experience I thought I'd ask here. Forgive me, but the HVX forums tend to have more of an XL-H1 vs JVC vs Sony tone rather than technical discussions.

I have done some tests with the HVX trying to shoot a city skyline (night time) with a noticeable streaking of headlight/taillights of cars going by. I tried 12FPS, 8FPS, 1F per 10 sec etc and neither had the look I was looking for. All shot at 1/15 Shutter. I am a video guy (shooting for 10 years) but the option of variable framerate and timelapse with the HVX200 is very exciting....

The look I'm trying to achieve is the city skyline in focus, but the highway/bridge in the foreground with cars essentially creating a constant streak of taillights/headlights. I can't seem to wrap my head around which way to continue my experiments. Everything I have tried looks ok, but essentially smoothly fast forwarded video. Some samples I've seen of the Varicam have displayed the look I want to achieve. Essentially tail and headlights would form a constant line...not choppy in any way. I assume slow shutter will help, but other than that I'm looking for suggestions.

I'll owe some Canadian beer to someone who can help me out!!!!

Cheers,

Brian Broz

www.llsr.com

Edited by BBroz

"So, like, how many beers would that be, in metric?" (too obscure?)

How about 1 frame every 1 minute? Maybe even every 5 minutes? That should cut down on "choppiness" since an average traffic light lasts, what... 2 minutes max?

it is not only about frames per second, it is actually about shutter angle. I understand many cameras can do 1 fps, but may not be able to keep the shutter open for the duration of that second (obviously there is no real shutter in HD) in order to capture the streaking tail and headlights.

your best bet is to actually do this in post... many techniques I have used do the job very well, for example in FinalCutPro many filters will do the job for you. otherwise any filter that reduces flicker, or even better a noise reducer cranked all the way up, will produce the effect for you...

I would post this question in editing and postproduction as there seems to be very few able to reply to your question..

regards,

Elias Haswany

MENA Based DP.

• 3 months later...

Shutter needs to be lower... but that will make it noisy. There is really no good way to do this, especially with a 1/3" CCD cam... I have a Canon 20D and it works perfect for this...

ash =o)

• 1 month later...
The look I'm trying to achieve is the city skyline in focus, but the highway/bridge in the foreground with cars essentially creating a constant streak of taillights/headlights.

I'm not sure the HVX can do this. When I have done shots like this, its been on 16mm with slow film and even ND filters exposing each frame for several seconds. That's 1 frame per 2 - 5 seconds rather than 2 - 5 frames per second, This provides for great streaking of the car lights.