Phase shifting

Erkan Umut

What is Phase Shifting when filming video and computer monitors?

How does it assure in cameras with shutter and pulldown mechanism are mechanically coupled? If its by means of specific speed, it will affect the exposure time and the motion in the video picture...?

How does it assure in cameras with shutter and pulldown mechanism are electronically coupled or independent (like in ARRI 435)? If its by means of shutter timing, it will affect the exposure time...?

• Premium Member
What is Phase Shifting when filming video and computer monitors?

How does it assure in cameras with shutter and pulldown mechanism are mechanically coupled? If its by means of specific speed, it will affect the exposure time and the motion in the video picture...?

How does it assure in cameras with shutter and pulldown mechanism are electronically coupled or independent (like in ARRI 435)? If its by means of shutter timing, it will affect the exposure time...?

Nesselsenez,

Not exactly sure what your question is but there is often a feature called "clear scan" on video cams that is basically a fine detail setting for the shutter. If you are in a 50 hertz country shooting 50i, the clear scan will work around 1/50th/s shutter speed in incrememnts of .01. If you are in 60 hertz countries (60i), it works around 1/60th of a second.

I have never had to use it when shooting in 24p so I'm not sure how/if it would work.

Guest dpoperator1

When shooting TV monitors or computer crt screens with a film camera, to eliminate the bothersome shutter bar (a horizontal black bar) which would otherwise roll thru the monitor it is necessary to control the camera's speed, with a digital speed control which works in thousand's of a second (such as the CE speed control etc.)so that the black bar is stabile while the camera is running. This is done without film in the camera or without a mag loaded onto the camera. Then the film is loaded the camera is rolled at this speed and the phase button on the speed control is held down until the bar cycles off the screen at which point speed is called then action etc.