S8 Labs, preferably in NYC

Nathan Milford

• Premium Member

Howdy,

I have a client who wants to shoot a sequence for a commercial in Super 8. This commercial is being posted in HD (I'm not sure if it's HDCAM or DVCPROHD) and he wants to process and transfer the footage to HD.

So, where can this client get his stock (probably negative) processed and is there anywhere that is setup to transfer it to HD?

Thanks,

Nathan

• Premium Member
Howdy,

I have a client who wants to shoot a sequence for a commercial in Super 8. This commercial is being posted in HD (I'm not sure if it's HDCAM or DVCPROHD) and he wants to process and transfer the footage to HD.

So, where can this client get his stock (probably negative) processed and is there anywhere that is setup to transfer it to HD?

Thanks,

Nathan

The Kodak lab directory lists Cineric Lab as offering Super-8 services:

http://www.kodak.com/cgi-bin/US/en/motion/.../labLocator.cgi

PacLab offers Super-8 reversal too.

Cineric Inc

630 Ninth Ave, Suite 508

New York, NY 10036

212-586-4822 phone

212-482-3744 fax

http://www.cineric.com

PAC Lab, Inc.

37 East 1st Street

New York, NY 10003

212 505 7797 phone

212 475 6211 fax

http://www.pac-lab.com

• Premium Member

Yeah, I remember Pac-Lab from back in my early college days.

I called Cineric and they don;t process or transfer S8, but they blow it up.

Onwards and upwards... I'll call Pac-Lab, but from what I remember it's a small little basement so I'm not sure if they'd be able to transfer it to any format the client would need.

• Premium Member
Yeah, I remember Pac-Lab from back in my early college days.

I called Cineric and they don;t process or transfer S8, but they blow it up.

Onwards and upwards... I'll call Pac-Lab, but from what I remember it's a small little basement so I'm not sure if they'd be able to transfer it to any format the client would need.

Thanks. Kodak depends on labs and transfer houses to send us information to keep our directory up to date on the services offered:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/....1.4.17.4&lc=en

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/....1.4.19.4&lc=en

Pac-Lab does does S8 neg film and can do transfer, but I have only used them for reversal film (B&W and E-6), and it is a little basement outfit, so I'm not sure what range of transfer services they are offering now. Their website is not current, so it is definitely worth calling them or sending an e-mail.

Guest santo

Avoid HDcam for film transfers if you have other alternatives. Way too much compression, only 3:1:1 colour, 8 bit instead of 10. Best suited for TV news gathering. I know it's a commercial, but I've seen film transfered to HDcam for edit/finish projected on a big screen and it is awful stuff. It's just like DV only with more pixels and less colour. Kind of defeats the reasons for shooting on film.

DVCPro HD has a lot better specs (though still only 8 bit) and is a Final Cut native format. Go full uncompressed HD if you can, obviously.

• 7 months later...

AVOID PAC LAB AT ALL COSTS!!! I used to use them and they were pretty good, but the last 2 jobs they did for me were nothing short of sabotage. They do not know how to process film without getting dust, dirt, chemical dyes and hair everywhere. The main scenes from my film were all unusable and when they went to re-clean them and telecine it only made things worse. The film looked like it went through a trash can. I can not see this place staying open for much longer unless there are serious changes. I have a load of film from them with free processing and will pay to process it else where. I used them for 8mm and 16mm color and b&w and all lines were terrible. I can not believe this place. They also did the worst telecine job ever.. I am certain they did not set the color at all, even when asking for a monitored recording.

But if a lab can not keep there film clean then what the heck are they doing in the business.

DR5 in Denver are the best proceser of film ever, but he only does 35mm now, however if he gets enough orders he will consider 16mm and 8mm.

• Site Sponsor

Check us out:

www.cinelab.com I feel we have top quality S-8 processing for both B+W and ColorNeg (No color reversal unless you want cross process) plus we have good Rank-Cintel transfer at a reasonable price. Or go to technicolor for HD, we have processed S-8 color neg for that route in the past.

We also have a NYC drop at the standby program:

www.standby.org

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan

Filmmaker

VP Cinelab Inc.

www.cinelab.com

• Premium Member
Check us out:

The client went on to shoot something else...

But on a personal note, I was actually just about to give you guys a call. I'm going to roll some S8 during my wedding in a few months and intercut it with some S16 and HDCAM.

My Fiancee is bemused. I'm more concerned with how the wedding is lit than with who sits where and what they're fed...

C'est la vie.

• Site Sponsor
The client went on to shoot something else...

But on a personal note, I was actually just about to give you guys a call. I'm going to roll some S8 during my wedding in a few months and intercut it with some S16 and HDCAM.

My Fiancee is bemused. I'm more concerned with how the wedding is lit than with who sits where and what they're fed...

C'est la vie.

That is funny, I was at abel yesterday picking up parts for my LTR. feel free to give me a call or PM me about whatever you need.

-Rob-