Zeiss T2.1 vs Zeiss T1.3

J Costantini

Hi.

I'd like to know if you've worked with these two sets of 35mm lenses:

Zeiss Standard T2.1 and Zeiss Superspeed T1.3 the previous series, not the new master prime ones.

How could we compare these two sets of lenses in terms of color rendition, sharpness, etc.

Can I use these PL mount lenses on a bayonet mount BL camera by using a mount converter? How should I proceed?

Thanks

I've never worked with the Zeiss Standard Primes

But the Zeiss Superspeeds are pretty damn good

They're really sharp and the color rendition is pretty good--crisp vivid colors.

As for your other question--no there isn't a B-mount to PL-mount adapter...

Meaning an adapter that converts a B mount to a PL mount (although the vice versa exist).

But I think you can probably find a set of Zeiss primes that's in a B-mount

I know they exist in 16mmm & S16mm lenses, so they should for the 35mm lenses.

You should call up the rental houses you're planning to rent from and ask.

Eitherways

Good Luck

• Premium Member

The T1.3 are very sharp lenses as long as you shoot them above T2. Below that they kind of become rather soft - the sharpness falls off towards the edges of the frame quite visibly. I happen to love that look and often use them wide open. They look great on close-ups of female performers and such and they have this organic feel to them. But make no mistake - there is a definite drop is sharpness below T2.

The Standard T2.1's are my favorite lenses for regular work. They're spaced nicely apart, light, small and very good. They don't flare very easy, but when they do it looks great. Cheap to rent, too.

Tried the new Master Primes on a commercial. Shot wide open, but they were just unpleasantly sharp. It just never felt organic or nice. And the sharpness creates a false sense of more depth of field rather than less, which is counterproductive. They're also huge and weigh a ton.

I'm not a fan of newer lenses at all - sharpness is not what I need in my line of work. I'm constantly searching for older lenses to shoot at rental houses, but they almost never have them. Years ago I did tests with the old Schneider Xenons and they were beautiful, but you can't get them. I also just shot a BBC-spot on the old re-housed Cooke Speed Panchros - they looked great in telecine. Tried to get some uncoated lenses for that job, but they were nowhere to be found. Interestingly the rental guy told me that the old Cooke's were out all the time on jobs - the demand for older lenses hade risen measurably in the last couple of years.

• Premium Member

The bottom line: If you're using a bayonet mount camera, then you can rule out BOTH the T-2.1 and T-1.3 primes. With that mount, you have a choice of the older Mark I super speeds at T-1.4, or standard T-2.2 primes. The 1.4s are newer, although you may prefer the 2.2s in daylight.

The bottom line: If you're using a bayonet mount camera, then you can rule out BOTH the T-2.1 and T-1.3 primes. With that mount, you have a choice of the older Mark I super speeds at T-1.4, or standard T-2.2 primes. The 1.4s are newer, although you may prefer the 2.2s in daylight.

---The first sets of T2.1 and T1.3 were availiable in both PL and bayonet mount. They were introduced at the

same time the PLmt was introduced so there were lots of bayonet mount cameras out there.

That doesn't mean they'll be easy to find. I would guess rental houses their bayonet mounts off long ago.

---LV

• Premium Member
---The first sets of T2.1 and T1.3 were availiable in both PL and bayonet mount. They were introduced at the

same time the PLmt was introduced so there were lots of bayonet mount cameras out there.

That doesn't mean they'll be easy to find. I would guess rental houses their bayonet mounts off long ago.

---LV

The original post to which I responded was specifically asking if the newer PL versions of these lenses could be adapted to a bayonet mount. The lenses you refer to, some of which were marked T1.3, are still part of the older Mark I three-bladed series and, unlike the newer PL designs, are functionally the same as the T1.4 lenses. (Many rental houses still carry the Mark I series in a bayonet mount.)