Super 8 WOW!

Brant Collins

I bought a Sankyo 600 on e-bay a couple of years ago($30). I shoot a test roll and looked at it on a cheap BAIA viewer I also got on e-bay. I then shot a roll of Kodahcrome 40 at the beach when I took my wife and kids on vacation. That was 2 years ago, I have bought 4 or 5 cameras on e-bay(all of which did not work) and I have been on this forum trying to figure out if I should keep trying super 8. (I work in broadcast production and shoot with high end DV equipment all the time) on this same vacation I shot footage with my Canon GL-2, and I love this camera(spent $2500 when it was new). So anyway I never did get the super 8 from the vacation developed. So Monday March 13th, 2006 I took the film into Wal-mart, I went today Friday the 17th and it was ready. I was so excited to get it home and look at it. It was so beautiful. The shots where of my wife and kids just before sunset. The Baia viewer I have is not very bright and has a grainy focus screen but I very excited about how it looks. I am going to send it off to get it transferd to mini-dv. Needless to say I will be working more with Super 8, and want to move on to Super 16 soon. For all the years I said DV was as good as Film I am sorry. DV got me work and I have learned a lot, but I think film can really take me to that "next" level of quality and creativity......all from a $30 dollar camera that runs on 4 AA batteries. Thanks to everyone on this forum I learn something from it everyday. I will post my footage once I get it transfered.

Keep on shooting and sharing

sure :)

super 8 (and the other film format) is so beautiful. yes video (miniDV, dvcam, etc) is easy, cheap, and you can see the footage intanstaneusly .... but film is film and there is some magic process that lt looks beautiful. long life to S8 ¡

Edited by andres victorero

I bought a Sankyo 600 on e-bay a couple of years ago($30). I shoot a test roll and looked at it on a cheap BAIA viewer I also got on e-bay. I then shot a roll of Kodahcrome 40 at the beach when I took my wife and kids on vacation. That was 2 years ago, I have bought 4 or 5 cameras on e-bay(all of which did not work) and I have been on this forum trying to figure out if I should keep trying super 8. (I work in broadcast production and shoot with high end DV equipment all the time) on this same vacation I shot footage with my Canon GL-2, and I love this camera(spent $2500 when it was new). So anyway I never did get the super 8 from the vacation developed. So Monday March 13th, 2006 I took the film into Wal-mart, I went today Friday the 17th and it was ready. I was so excited to get it home and look at it. It was so beautiful. The shots where of my wife and kids just before sunset. The Baia viewer I have is not very bright and has a grainy focus screen but I very excited about how it looks. I am going to send it off to get it transferd to mini-dv. Needless to say I will be working more with Super 8, and want to move on to Super 16 soon. For all the years I said DV was as good as Film I am sorry. DV got me work and I have learned a lot, but I think film can really take me to that "next" level of quality and creativity......all from a $30 dollar camera that runs on 4 AA batteries. Thanks to everyone on this forum I learn something from it everyday. I will post my footage once I get it transfered.

Keep on shooting and sharing

Well said brant, well said!

I feel the same way. I've been shooting on digital for a few years and convinced myself that digital is the way to go until I can afford s16 or 35, but I've been playing around with super 8 and I don't think I'll ever go back to digital. Newer is not always better.

(I work in broadcast production and shoot with high end DV equipment all the time) on this same vacation I shot footage with my Canon GL-2, and I love this camera(spent $2500 when it was new).

I hear you.I work for a TV station and shoot news all day.Fun, but it ain't film.I can get access to my BNW 7 or a Canon XL 1 whenever I want.I used to shoot alot of film back in the day,but since video creeped in, it looks like my opportunities to shoot film have to be gotten on my own.I know what you mean, I have home movies of my family on all formats of film and tape and every time I show something with an old projector I had to blow the dust off of, the images always bring a better response from audiences who aren't film/video savvy.

Lately I've been experimenting with super 8 and have had the same luck, or lack thereof with decent cameras on ebay.Just gonna have to bite the bullet and get something decent.The film stock's too expensive t be wasting it on cheap junk.

Thinking about playing around with the old regular 8mm, but stock choices are getting limited these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the footage. It may be a little under exposed? My question is if I want a sharper image than this will I need a different camera or film sock? or both? Also I am ready to spend around $1200 on a new camera should I stay with Super 8 or go to 16mm? The film and transfer seem to cost about the same?

http://www.collinsmedia.net/GULF%20PORT.mov

Well, both have their place. My biggest problem at the moment is the fact that I need to carry around four heavy cameras (35mm still, 16mm, Super8 and Mini-DV), a tripod and a light-meter to get the most out of my environment. No kidding. And I'm using public transport!

But when it's dark at night, it's all worth the while ;)

Well, both have their place. My biggest problem at the moment is the fact that I need to carry around four heavy cameras (35mm still, 16mm, Super8 and Mini-DV), a tripod and a light-meter to get the most out of my environment. No kidding. And I'm using public transport!

But when it's dark at night, it's all worth the while ;)

What Super 8 and 16mm do you have?

Brant, first let me say what a great piece you shot, I loved it. Was that you playing guitar? So that is Kodachrome, it looks like it.

They both do have their place, that is true. You should rent the best of each format before you buy. A descent Super 16 rental can run you some change, but mabye you could find a A-Minima to rent or ask someone on a super 16 shoot to let you shoot something during lunch.

Really good, sync sound Super 8 rigs for rental are becoming more common. Duall, Pro8mm, Spectra to name a few. Probably much much more.

Super 16 has more of a chance at making you money on HD gigs. The super 8 is cheaper over all, but not as sharp as the Super 16. A really nice, beaulieu 4008 or better, with a zeis prime on it shooting 7217, looks really really good, but it won't blow up as well at the 16.

1200 buys you a really good Super 8 sync camera. Very small and mobile, just as much as any DV cam. The possibilities are endless. In any case, have fun.

Chris

I own Super 8: Nizo 6080 with the gate punched out to 1.58:1 approx. Yashica Super Electric 40E, Sanyo Super lxl 255 macro, a K-3 Super 16

Edited by zaefod

Brant, first let me say what a great piece you shot, I loved it. Was that you playing guitar? So that is Kodachrome, it looks like it.

They both do have their place, that is true. You should rent the best of each format before you buy. A descent Super 16 rental can run you some change, but mabye you could find a A-Minima to rent or ask someone on a super 16 shoot to let you shoot something during lunch.

Really good, sync sound Super 8 rigs for rental are becoming more common. Duall, Pro8mm, Spectra to name a few. Probably much much more.

Super 16 has more of a chance at making you money on HD gigs. The super 8 is cheaper over all, but not as sharp as the Super 16. A really nice, beaulieu 4008 or better, with a zeis prime on it shooting 7217, looks really really good, but it won't blow up as well at the 16.

1200 buys you a really good Super 8 sync camera. Very small and mobile, just as much as any DV cam. The possibilities are endless. In any case, have fun.

Chris

I own Super 8: Nizo 6080 with the gate punched out to 1.58:1 approx. Yashica Super Electric 40E, Sanyo Super lxl 255 macro, a K-3 Super 16

Spending more than $500 on a super 8 camera is pretty much crazy, unless you buy a lot of film for the rest.

Brant- I loved your super 8 footage, although i couldnt quite judge the quality never the less I did see that it was quite low on contrast which is suprising since you did shoot on reversal film (was it k40 or e64?) and revesral films are usually rich with contrast. Anyways you picked the perfect time to film on a beach, sunset which was very charming! I liked the long shadows shadows of your children and wife(?) casted over the sand.

Good work, and dont stop filming!

btw can you please post some pictures in high resolution?

//ozzball

Thanks for the comments. It was K40 but I shot the camera on auto. Also the not a true Telecine(a Sniper)(maybe why the low contrast?) the colors were much more vivid on my Super 8 viewer.No it is not me playing the guitar.

I want to continue with film. I am in the video production business and think it will allow me to get better paying work. The comment I keep getting from my family and others that are not in the business is it looks like a "real memory"...I love that comment(never got that with DV)

I have spent too much money on e-bay cameras that did not work so I am ready to buy one from a dealer. I can get a rebuild beaulieu 4008 for $950, a rebuilt beaulieu for $1200 or get a sure enough Super 16 package for under 5k. So I have some decisions to make.

I will post some stills soon

if you are interested here is some work from my day job

http://www.brantcollins.com

It is a simple resume page with my demo reel

Edited by brant

Since I don't make money from my work yet, I baught the cheapest I could find.

My 8mm is a Canon 814, my 16mm an unmodified K3 with a handful of lenses from 28mm to 105mm.

What I like about Super8 is the "handycam" appeal. Stuff it in you bag, whip it out, zoom, focus, shoot!

The K3 is a pain to carry around and threading it takes a few minutes, but the results are chalk and cheese compared to 8mm and Video...

Edited by Erdwolf_TVL

Since I don't make money from my work yet, I baught the cheapest I could find.

My 8mm is a Canon 814, my 16mm an unmodified K3 with a handful of lenses from 28mm to 105mm.

What I like about Super8 is the "handycam" appeal. Stuff it in you bag, whip it out, zoom, focus, shoot!

The K3 is a pain to carry around and threading it takes a few minutes, but the results are chalk and cheese compared to 8mm and Video...

would like to see some footage from the Canon 814 if you can post some

• Premium Member
Also the not a true Telecine(a Sniper)(maybe why the low contrast?) the colors were much more vivid on my Super 8 viewer.

I would suggest having a true telecine house like FSFT in Seattle or CinePost in Atlanta transfer to miniDV for you. FSFT is very good at getting vibrant colors out of your stock. Put like 200ft of Super 8 together and have them do it just so you can have a bench mark for a really good transfer. Ain't cheap, but you should see the difference for your own reference. Plus, they can handle negative stocks (Vision2 200 & 500) and you'll be blown away by those results. Make sure you ask for Scene to Scene color correction. (yes this will cost like $150, but try it once)

FSFT - http://www.fsft.com/

CinePost - http://www.posthouse.com/

I would suggest having a true telecine house like FSFT in Seattle or CinePost in Atlanta transfer to miniDV for you. FSFT is very good at getting vibrant colors out of your stock. Put like 200ft of Super 8 together and have them do it just so you can have a bench mark for a really good transfer. Ain't cheap, but you should see the difference for your own reference. Plus, they can handle negative stocks (Vision2 200 & 500) and you'll be blown away by those results. Make sure you ask for Scene to Scene color correction. (yes this will cost like $150, but try it once)

FSFT - http://www.fsft.com/

CinePost - http://www.posthouse.com/

I would like to try, spectra video has a good deal I may try. It is a test pkg 4 rolls of film(mix and match what yo want) processing and transfer fro like $250.

http://www.spectrafilmandvideo.com/Film.html

anyone excited about the super 8 vision 2 stocks from kodak. I've heard that they are releasing 200T and 500T in 8mm format, wich is fan fu**ing tastic.

I shot a roll of 64t recently, and got to hand process it in class. Solarized it and it looked good.

anyone excited about the super 8 vision 2 stocks from kodak. I've heard that they are releasing 200T and 500T in 8mm format, wich is fan fu**ing tastic.

I shot a roll of 64t recently, and got to hand process it in class. Solarized it and it looked good.

Two great things happening in Super 8 - pro level negative stocks and DYI hand processing. Haven't tried S8 negative yet (although plenty of 16mm), but hand processing is great fun. You get a visceral feel for the process of photography when you DYI process. Don't expect perfection, but experiment, just to see what happens. I used coffee, Vitamin C and Drano a few weeks back, and got a viewable clip out of it!

Two great things happening in Super 8 - pro level negative stocks and DYI hand processing. Haven't tried S8 negative yet (although plenty of 16mm), but hand processing is great fun. You get a visceral feel for the process of photography when you DYI process. Don't expect perfection, but experiment, just to see what happens. I used coffee, Vitamin C and Drano a few weeks back, and got a viewable clip out of it!

Is there any links you can provide to DIY processing?