Tascam HD P2 in production

Andy Sparaco SOC

• Premium Member

:rolleyes: Just completed a S-16 feature in "Nawlins" (one of six currently being shot there) and supplied as part of the camera package a Tascam HD P2. This was the first time using in a long format production and it proved to be suberb.

1) Weighs less then a pound with 8 Double A batteries

2) Jams sync's time code from a Denecke TC Slate (Denecke made up a three pin XLR and away we went no problems)

3) Xfers wav files and logging info via firewire to laptop for burn

4) Plug in a standard PC style keyboard and the sound recordist can enter scene and take numbers as well as notes

5) The entire 100 page script production was recorded and outputed to seven CD's. Uses CF cards -no drop out/no tapes/ random access- we used two 1Gig cards

6) Records at a variety of frame rates and bit rates

7) audio out with analog video into DV convertor for Video Assist capture in DV format

8) For a $946 street price kills all other options

No Tapestock of any kind was used on this production-just not fast or smart enough- videotape is dead :D

• Premium Member
How long does it run on AA batteries? Also, are there any external battery pack options available yet?

We changed batteries once a day. It has a plug in "wall wart" type power supply. The plug is available at "Le Shack Ra' dio"". Easy make up. Did not feel the need to make one.

From a Nagra 4.2 to a Tascam PD DAT to the Tascam HD gettin easy!

No moving parts so easy on power

• Premium Member
Hi. Were you recording 16 bit or 24 bit? If 24, what do you think of the sound and what mics were you using?

I was not the recordist I assume 16 bit. The mics were two Tram lavilers/Rode NTG1/Beyer 86E/Two Sennheiser G2 Evolution wireless into a Rolls 124 Mixer.

I am not an audiophile my evaulation was the audio was clean and would be easy to work with

• Premium Member
I was not the recordist I assume 16 bit. The mics were two Tram lavilers/Rode NTG1/Beyer 86E/Two Sennheiser G2 Evolution wireless into a Rolls 124 Mixer.

I am not an audiophile my evaulation was the audio was clean and would be easy to work with

Andy,

Since you used the new Arriflex 16S/Super 16 on the shoot, how did you deal with the noise from that camera? I am sure it was quite a bit louder than you SR. Did the Tascam pick it up?

-Tim

• Premium Member
Andy,

Since you used the new Arriflex 16S/Super 16 on the shoot, how did you deal with the noise from that camera? I am sure it was quite a bit louder than you SR. Did the Tascam pick it up?

-Tim

Actually we did shoot one sync scene with the Arri-Sinema. (Aaton Minema/Arri-Sinema) :D

A women at a table in an exterior. Camera with a 400ft mag about 7 ft away. I placed the barney from the SR over the Arri-S mag . We were using two tram lavs and the sound recordist could still hear the camera. Threw a moving blanket/pad over the camera and I and the camera noise was gone.

The level of noise from the camera is something which could be removed by using the new generation of noise gate audio filters.

I have talked to the Sound Barney folks (www.customupholsteryproducts.com) and they will make me a Barney if I send them the camera, which I am considering.

Some snaps attached

Snap 1 is the camera package rolling off the Natchez riverboat

Snap 2 is the Arri-Sinema on a Glidercam pro

Snap 3 same other side

Snap4 on a Steadicam rig

Snap5 both cameras in prep

post-8736-1143635908.jpg

post-8736-1143635923.jpg

post-8736-1143635940.jpg

post-8736-1143636260.jpg

post-8736-1143636787.jpg