New Reel

Hi all,

Just posted my new reel (Quicktime 7.0 required):

http://www.thenumberoneman.com/lazz/demoreel.html

Hopefully it's not too dark. It's fine on my monitor, but I'm at 100% brightness, and I know not everyone is. So I may upload another version tomorrow that's brighter in spots.

I'm still waiting on footage from a music video I shot back in November which will add another aspect to the reel.

Obviously not quite up to the standards of some of the amazing members here, but hopefully some of you will like it ;)

Hi all,

Just posted my new reel (Quicktime 7.0 required):

http://www.thenumberoneman.com/lazz/demoreel.html

Hopefully it's not too dark. It's fine on my monitor, but I'm at 100% brightness, and I know not everyone is. So I may upload another version tomorrow that's brighter in spots.

I'm still waiting on footage from a music video I shot back in November which will add another aspect to the reel.

Obviously not quite up to the standards of some of the amazing members here, but hopefully some of you will like it ;)

After some feedback I'm gonna cut it down a bit. New version will appear at the URL tomorrow

I'm on a calibrated monitor and the black level could come up a little I think.

You do have a sizing issue; you'll want to squish it horizontally a little more in your compression program, I'd guess about 10%. Probably the difference between square vs. non-square pixels (use a multiple of 640x480 instead of 720x480).

Nice-looking shots! I'd have probably started with some of the more dramatic stuff that we see later. And as good as the cinematography may be, unfortunately reel-watchers tend to gravitate towards celeb content, so you might move that up also.

Edited by Gordon Highland

You do have a sizing issue; you'll want to squish it horizontally a little more in your compression program, I'd guess about 10%. Probably the difference between square vs. non-square pixels (use a multiple of 640x480 instead of 720x480).

Yeah I noticed that. My main issue was trying to get a big enough picture without making the filesize outrageous (I have a 320 x 240 version but I find that too small, at least on my 19" inch monitor). I'm exporting a version as we speak that is 1.5x that, which would make it exactly halfway between 320x240 and 640x480. Hopefully that works.

Nice-looking shots! I'd have probably started with some of the more dramatic stuff that we see later. And as good as the cinematography may be, unfortunately reel-watchers tend to gravitate towards celeb content, so you might move that up also.

The usher spot at the beginning was put there on advice from a dp friend of mine, basically since it's recognizable (in Toronto) because it was shown before every screen at the '05 Toronto Film Fest. As for celeb-content, what celebs? Did one of the actors on there hit it big? :P

Cut it down tonight, about a minute less now. Also put the 'First Patrol' footage right after the Usher commercial, followed by Snapshot.

Thanks for the comments. They are much appreciated B)

Edited by blastdoors

Isn't that Gary Busey in there, maybe 2/3 through? Maybe not, but sure looked like him.

Ahh ok I know whom you're referring to. Nope, not Busey (I wish!). Oddly enough, there was an actor in an earlier reel that looked like Jesse Ventura. Eerie :P

New reel uploaded. Knocked a minute off and rearranged it.