RED

Frank DiBugnara

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Never heard of it till now, but from looking at the specifications.. my god... this is one hell of a camera.

The thing that I find hard to understand that is if this sort of technology is ready or will be ready soon, why haven't Sony or Panasonic gotten there first?

They're the leading manufacturers, I assume they probably have the most amount of money and resources at their feet, why are they taking so long?

Edited by Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

• Premium Member
The thing that I find hard to understand that is if this sort of technology is ready or will be ready soon, why haven't Sony or Panasonic gotten there first?

They're the leading manufacturers, I assume they probably have the most amount of money and resources at their feet, why are they taking so long?

If a camera like that is possible, a guy like Jannard is it's best bet. My understanding is that he's a camera-phile billionaire who has the resources, connections and the capital to work rapidly and unencumbered. I'm sure he can also attract a lot of engineering talent to work on a project like that because of the revolutionary nature of the product as well as the atmosphere and additude of the workplace.

Sony and Panasonic are more entrenched in a corporate infrastructure with many departments vying for this codec or that technology as well as a highly ENG / Broadcast influenced engineering background. The 'cine' market is infintessimal compared to the broadcast market and the big players are less likely to develop a technology for that market that doesn't mesh or overlap somehow with thier ENG / Broadcast technologies.

Corporate politics is why they're taking so long. My speculation is that Jannard and co. aren't held back by such additudes and they're free to pursue the formats and technologies that work for the product instead of the ones that work for the a large sony/panasonic-like company agenda.

But, that's just the way I see it and maybe I have too jaded view of corporate ecosystems

I thought I saw somewhere that the price point was around 17K. But I still don't know what the recording device is. It says that it is a camcorder which implies that the 4K resolution is being captured onboard. But how?

The website also seems to imply that they are developing their own lenses?

Gosh, what would this mean for the f-950? and every other high end HD out there?

To the film professionals and aspiring filmmakers:

DVXUSER has allowed RED to post dedicated thread on the topic of RED issues. Although DVXUSER is geared toward the pronsumer arena, the RED company continues to concentrate on this market proving that 4k acquisition is affordable to the neophyte filmmaker. Here is the link---enjoy.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Edited by ocean

Guest Jim Murdoch

This "project" has been kicking around since the middle of last year. All anybody has seen are a lot of extravagant claims and the same mostly "under construction" website you see now. If they ever do get this project working they'll certainly have plenty of competition.

As many people have pointed out, storing all that data would be problematic to say the least. And if I'd come up with a workable system, I'd be trying to sell to to computer manufacturers, not impoverished film makers!

I just came from the RED website. I've been counting the days and hours, waiting to see this thing. Now that they are showing it, all I can say is, "uh?" Is what they are showing really the camera? It looks like a concept camera. If the terminator had a HD camera, then RED would be his weapon of choice.

"The thing that I find hard to understand that is if this sort of technology is ready or will be ready soon, why haven't Sony or Panasonic gotten there first?"

It has been widely speculated ? and Red and Silicon Imaging have pretty much proven ? that the major manufacturers aren't interested in making this technology affordable. They'd rather soak their high-end clients, and who can blame them. I suppose every industry does that to some degree. Can't put the genie back in the bottle now though!

• 2 weeks later...
"The thing that I find hard to understand that is if this sort of technology is ready or will be ready soon, why haven't Sony or Panasonic gotten there first?"

It has been widely speculated ? and Red and Silicon Imaging have pretty much proven ? that the major manufacturers aren't interested in making this technology affordable. They'd rather soak their high-end clients, and who can blame them. I suppose every industry does that to some degree. Can't put the genie back in the bottle now though!

You said all! To who doesn't know @20's it happens the same with the introduction of the talkies. In that time, one of the protected interests it was from the General Electric and its greed for the majors that already were looking for to control the verticalization of the industry. And so, the introduction of the sound was delayed 'til 1927/28.

And this it answers a few skeptical* posts around here.

* EDIT -- (for not to use other words even more suitable however probably unpleasant -- and I don't want to seem rude)