Red and Hope

Tim Shim

I really hope the Red camera is a success. I have a personal project lined up that I can't finance on 35mm myself. I have already said I will buy one if they can deliver!

Would capturing, storing, editing, and blowing up to a print of 4K data really be much cheaper.

Guest Jim Murdoch
Does that give me more experience than Mr. Murdoch? :-)

Sadly, not in the areas where it counts:-)

Ah well, it's your money; don't let me stop you.

Sadly...I'm saying...it's my first post here despite my web experience around other places and I was used to read the excellent posts in this same board and now...

...well, now I don't see any of those requirements that made my choice to choose posting between you.

The devil's advocate play is useful to anything in life, so why it shouldn't be@RED? Actually, I'm known out there 'cause my skeptical inputs...

...but will it be necessary to be unpleasant to another member here? Specially when this particular investor is, at least, the #606 worldwide business man LINK interested to develop a digital cinema camera? Or here is the reason itself?

EDIT -- Comparing himself to Jeff Kreines or RED with any other vapourware (as I read in a neighbour thread if RED is just a new product under development and not yet released) it's unfair and an untruth. Jim Jannard so far as we can know he accomplished all the promises made 'til now, so...?!

Edited by Emanuel

Guest Jim Murdoch
Jim Jannard so far as we can know he accomplished all the promises made 'til now, so...?!

Most of his accomplishments start and stop with the manufacture and clever marketing of Sunglasses, which are an end product in themselves, not a means of producing something than can be critically appraised. The designs may be cool and stylish, but scientifically they don't really accomplish anything that vastly cheaper ones won't.

The Red requires the manufacture of a high-tech silicon imager, which as far as I know, he has no experience with. I presume he's contracted this out to some "boutique" wafer Fab facility, but my problem with this is that if they can really succeed where so many huge corporations have failed, why would they be bothering with a penny-ante project like this? The commercial applications of an inexpensive 4K sensor like he is proposing are astronomical. It just doesn't make sense.

The Red requires the manufacture of a high-tech silicon imager, which as far as I know, he has no experience with. I presume he's contracted this out to some "boutique" wafer Fab facility, but my problem with this is that if they can really succeed where so many huge corporations have failed, why would they be bothering with a penny-ante project like this? The commercial applications of an inexpensive 4K sensor like he is proposing are astronomical. It just doesn't make sense.

You're speaking as if he's a one-man show in this one.

Sure, he may not have the experience to build this imager, but he can HIRE people who know a thing or two about them. Steve Jobs ain't no software/hardware genius at Apple and the company is doing just fine. To his credit, he's got some of the best people working for him and his job is to inspire them to do their best. That, I believe, is Jim's role in RED.

Edited by timshim

Mr. Murdoch... I'm starting to take this personally. I used a Private Message with you in hopes to aviod such foolish posts on your part. I deleted several of my posts on this thread to show good faith that I didn't want to engage you personally. Please check your facts (do a little research) before you post such nonsense.

Over 600 patents worldwide. Win every optics shootout in the industry by miles with XYZ patents. Successfully defended in court against the two largest industry companies (both over $10B market cap). Only half of Oakley's business is eyewear (including RX). I'd like to avoid making this personal. Please use PM to ask questions about things you are unsure of. I'll be happy to respond. Respectfully. Jim

Edited by jannard

Most of his accomplishments start and stop with the manufacture and clever marketing of Sunglasses, which are an end product in themselves, not a means of producing something than can be critically appraised. The designs may be cool and stylish, but scientifically they don't really accomplish anything that vastly cheaper ones won't.

The Red requires the manufacture of a high-tech silicon imager, which as far as I know, he has no experience with.

Please, be nice with all of your readers (in this case since a long time ago) and give us a break!... :)

I presume he's contracted this out to some "boutique" wafer Fab facility, but my problem with this is that if they can really succeed where so many huge corporations have failed, why would they be bothering with a penny-ante project like this?
Why will it be?

You're speaking as if he's a one-man show in this one.

Sure, he may not have the experience to build this imager, but he can HIRE people who know a thing or two about them. Steve Jobs ain't no software/hardware genius at Apple and the company is doing just fine. To his credit, he's got some of the best people working for him and his job is to inspire them to do their best. That, I believe, is Jim's role in RED.

LOL He isn't a common man in the strictly sense of its meaning or is it usual to have in these boards between us a man worth $1.3 billion?...

Mr. Murdoch... I'm starting to take this personally. I used a Private Message with you in hopes to aviod such foolish posts on your part. I deleted several of my posts on this thread to show good faith that I didn't want to engage you personally. Please check your facts (do a little research) before you post such nonsense.

Over 600 patents worldwide. Win every optics shootout in the industry by miles with XYZ patents. Successfully defended in court against the two largest industry companies (both over $10B market cap). Only half of Oakley's business is eyewear (including RX). I'd like to avoid making this personal. Please use PM to ask questions about things you are unsure of. I'll be happy to respond. Respectfully. Jim

This time you mustn't...you can't delete this post. You can be the american one but you are the gentleman.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt, "Citizenship in a Republic," speech at the Sorbonne, Paris (April 23, 1910)

PS

BTW, the Jim (Mr.) Murdoch's inputs just push RED to be (yet more) the (Mr.) Jannard's company besides/behind its high techie(s) staff.

EDIT

1st [already in the second person of...] (following another previous post@yours LINK) it doesn't let him stop it! So, we must thank you...[the plural] to both :lol: !

2nd [yet in the third person] A last detail...someone that is saying he used the Private Messaging resource only in hopes to avoid such attacks it just shows good faith as himself said/confessed. It's a honest tip, not show off! (merely or not -- I believe not, if not why* I would put $1,000 from my own money in his hands?!...)

* Also because some kind of good-will signs like this one besides his cinema passion (the greed definitely is not one of his specialities) as well his skills. Do we know any other poster here or out there from the Forbes list of the most successful entrepreneurs of our time?

Edited by Emanuel