1st 35mm shoot

Louis

Mitchells are freakin huge and if you have any hope of actually moving it without the help of 300 people (that's an exaggeration but you get my point!)...well, they're pretty big. So if you're planning a lot of run and gun type shots, I'd say go with something like a Moviecam Compact or an Arricam Lite. On the other hand you mentioned cost. Remember the good-fast-cheap triangle...you're gonna lose out somewhere...if you're that intent on cutting corners, maybe you shouldn't shoot film, right? (But chances are, you can't afford to shoot HD either and IMHO any other type of video will look like crap, so maybe you SHOULD stick with film...!)

And if you're still a student and you want your own camera, go with a super 16 package; it is a perfectly feasible format and unless you're planning something absolutely huge and movie screen-sized, it will hold up quite well in post thanks to the endless workflow options. Don't shoot 35 just because "But...it's 35! Wow!" I know the feeling but maybe for the sake of being able to pay your tuition, you should resist it and just go with what you think you will need. Good luck!

I'm sure this totally answered all your questions and made you feel less conflicted, so I'll stop now.

If I may add yet another question: I'm trying to get an idea of the post workflow that I want to use, and I'm trying to figure the procces of getting certain things done. For example, if I'm shooting 35mm for cropping to 1.85, I know I need the right grounglass for it, but at what stage of the post process does the actual matting occur? And what about optical effects like dissolves and titles? I don't think I'm gonna need to strike an IP or IN, since I'll only need one print at the most and zero prints at the least, but are they still necessary for other things? Thanks for all your answers guys!

• Premium Member
[quote name='Louis' post='107637' date='May 29 2006, 11:13 AM']If I may add yet another question: I'm trying to get an idea of the post workflow that I want to use, and I'm trying to figure the procces of getting certain things done. For example, if I'm shooting 35mm for cropping to 1.85, I know I need the right grounglass for it, but at what stage of the post process does the actual matting occur? And what about optical effects like dissolves and titles? I don't think I'm gonna need to strike an IP or IN, since I'll only need one print at the most and zero prints at the least, but are they still necessary for other things? Thanks for all your answers guys![/quote]

Hi,

Possibly when the lab prints are made, but could well be the projector at the cinema! If the Mitchell still has its fade shutter, disolves and titles could be made in camera! ( It's a joke but has been done many times)

Stephen