16mm Kodachrome availability

I know this has been discontinued but do people still stock it? (in the UK?)

I know kodak replaced this reversal film..but they don't offer it in 100ft cores..Again, anyone know if people transfer 400fts to 100ft? can i do it? will i fu** it up?

Hi, everywhere i've tried in the uk is sold out of 16mm kodachrome, try Wittner in Germany or John Schwind in the USA. Kodak uk do not offer 100d circuschrome on 100ft spools or cores, 400ft loads only, last 400ft load cost £100.00 for the film and £140.00 for processing in the uk, used to get 8 rolls of 16mm kodachrome for that price. Kodachrome was never offered on 100ft cores. Once upon a time, not very long ago you could buy 400ft cores of k25 and k40.

Hi, must point out my info regarding 100ft loads of 16mm 100d direct from kodak may be out of date, last enquired around 5 weeks ago. Best to check with kodak uk. Apologies if i have mislead anyone.

Slightly off topic, sorry!

Pretty much everyone knows now that K16 is discontinued.

But has this ever been announced officially?

I see nothing to this effect on Kodak's website and internet searches are also fruitless.

(Most hits are from THIS site!)

Hi, only process paid kodachrome has been discontinued, non process paid is still available, as non processed paid is available in the USA, and the 'product changes' notices on the kodak website only covers changes to the US market, guess no official notice will appear until the k40 stock pile in the US is near the end!!!!!!! Perhaps JP could comment. UK regular users of 16mm kodachrome did receive an official letter from kodak uk concerning the end of processed paid k/c.

• Premium Member
I know kodak replaced this reversal film..but they don't offer it in 100ft cores..Again, anyone know if people transfer 400fts to 100ft? can i do it? will i fu** it up?

Just to be clear - 100ft loads are normaly on "daylight Spools" (R-90)

You can go from one to the otehr, their is an old thread in the forum on the process.

Main points,

1) keep ot clean, dust on the film == Black spots on the final product.

2) you have to wind the film on another reel, spool or core, and then REWIND it on the device your camera uses.

3) Dave mullen posted that it takes about 41 turns of a hollywood rewind to fill a 100 ft daylight spool. My guess is about 42 on my Craig rewind. (I have to wait and count the edge numbers to see how close I came.) Arround that count should be close if you are breaking down a 400 Ft core load to daylight spools.

4) did I mention the room has to be super dark

5) did I mention NO DUST

BTW Process paid Kodachome used to have a clause that they would not honor the process paid if the film was returned in other than the original length, (I can see where they don't want to pay to mail back a bunch of short tests.) But the edge printing is what indicates if the film is pre-paid or not.

3) Dave mullen posted that it takes about 41 turns of a hollywood rewind to fill a 100 ft daylight spool.

We always figured that it was 46-1/2 turns on an HFC rewind, verified by running through a synchronizer. This gives the normal 109 feet, with 6 feet integral leader and 3 feet trailer for subdued light loading and unloading.

• Premium Member

If and when a particular product or Catalog Item is discontinued in the USA, it is listed here:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newslett...=0.1.4.21&lc=en

Kodak sales offices overseas may discontinue stocking an item if sales volumes do not justify having it on hand locally.

16mm KODACHROME 40 Movie Film (Type A) 7270 is still listed in the catalog. However, it is no longer sold with prepaid processing, as Kodak announced a few months ago:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/about/ne...achrome06.jhtml

Kodachrome 16mm film with processing costs included (cat #5053327) has also been discontinued this year. With stock depleted, final sales of this product occurred in February. Customers who have purchased Kodachrome 16mm film with the processing costs included have until December 31, 2006 to process that film with Kodak. After that date, customers will have to seek an alternative at their own cost.

This announcement does not impact sales of Kodachrome 16mm film without processing costs included, (cat #1402494) which will continue to be available in some regions.

John, any indication how long the US stock pile of 16mm k/c will last, plan to buy in from the US and ship back to the US for processing.

Andy

BTW, rewinding back to the original question, for now, if you buy in non process paid k/c from the US, the lab at Switzerland will process the film at £14.00 per 100ft roll.

Edited by k25rip

• Premium Member
John, any indication how long the US stock pile of 16mm k/c will last, plan to buy in from the US and ship back to the US for processing.

Andy

The base making, sensitizing, slitting, and perforating machines make a variety of other film products as well, with skilled people running them. The formulae still exist. It's really a matter of how long a viable business case still exists.

• Premium Member

Who has time to count turns on a rewind?

If you are using a camera which has non coaxial magazines- Arri-S Arri BL Arri 2/3- CP 16- You can spool down film using it.

1)In a changing bag run the film from the supply side to the collapsible core on the take-up side. (You do not run the film thru the camera-preventing possible scratches)

2) Reverse the motor

3) Run the film back to a spool.

4) Use a finger to gauge how much has wound onto the spool. Running film out to the edge of the sppol is 120 to 130ft

5) Cut the film and replace the spool with an empty

Be sure to black tape any running lights so they don't fog film!

Also shut down the eyepiece.

I have used this technique on location to spool down short ends for my B Camera

• Premium Member
16mm KODACHROME 40 Movie Film (Type A) 7270 is still listed in the catalog. However, it is no longer sold with prepaid processing, as Kodak announced a few months ago:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/about/ne...achrome06.jhtml

Hi John, thanks for the Update, YOu inspired me to shoot my last two Processing paid super 8 Cartriges of KMA464P today . The mailers in teh box list an address in toronto, but I recall the last time I sent Process paid Kodachrome, the address was somthing like Box 3500 Brampton Ontario. I also have one PK59 Mailer which I actually got with a Rolls of REgular 8 Cine 25 which I will want to use with a NON-paid (US market) roll at the same time.

Can yoou tell me the correct address or where to find it, (MY boss hates personal calls at work)

• Premium Member
Hi John, thanks for the Update, YOu inspired me to shoot my last two Processing paid super 8 Cartriges of KMA464P today . The mailers in teh box list an address in toronto, but I recall the last time I sent Process paid Kodachrome, the address was somthing like Box 3500 Brampton Ontario. I also have one PK59 Mailer which I actually got with a Rolls of REgular 8 Cine 25 which I will want to use with a NON-paid (US market) roll at the same time.

Can yoou tell me the correct address or where to find it, (MY boss hates personal calls at work)

Here is what I found:

All Kodak dealers in Canada should accept the prepaid processing mailers. Those mailers would be forwarded to the Hamilton lab, who would then forward to District photo, who would forward to the Kodak lab in Switzerland.

He can also mail directly to the address in Beltsville Md. That will then be handled directly by District Photo and sent on to Switzerland.

KODAK Mailer Processing, C/O District Photo, 10501 Rhode Island Avenue, Beltsville, MD 20705

Toll Free:1-800-345-6973 Phone: 1.301.937.5300 ext. 240

• Premium Member
Here is what I found:

KODAK Mailer Processing, C/O District Photo, 10501 Rhode Island Avenue, Beltsville, MD 20705

Toll Free:1-800-345-6973 Phone: 1.301.937.5300 ext. 240

Thnaks, I may risk the international boundry.. These days I get nervous tring to get anything across the undefended border.

Back a year or so ago, I did try to send some kodachome via walmart, They assured me first that they used Kodak/qualux but when I brought in the cartridge next day, they looked at me like I had three eyes and said something about Movies not being arround for 20 years.

I also sent one via Henrrys photo, They sent it to the local Image Check folks who took 2 weeks to decide they did not know what to do, Henrys called me to pick it up, I told them it should go to Kodak Qualux, they said the sent it right away but it came back 3 months later. I would be afraid they would discard the PK-59 Envelope, as Canadian Kodachome does not need a special mailer..

Mailing to Brampton got it back in three weeks, mailed back to me from somewhere in the states. I was surpised it came back on a white taylor reel brand return reel, I guess the Black Kodak return reels are another victim of progress.

The mailer with the Canadian Film has a toronto address, but the PK-59, is inteded only for the states so it only has a US address. (I ened up with it by accident, I bought some regular 8 from "international film and they said "with processing" - turns out they meant "with PK-59/"