Old Skool VHS camcorder

Kirk Anderson

THe other day I was out garage sailing looking for some old super 8 and 16mm stuff when I came across a pretty neat old metal tripod I wanted. I asked the lady how much and she said it's part of a package and she wouldn't break it up, so I asked how much for the package and she said $7, deal. I handed over $7 and attempted to flee with thr tripod only in hand, she chased me down with 40lbs with of 1976 aluminum cased audio visual equipment in hand and put it in the back of my truck before i could hit the gas and leave the scene.

So now, I am the not so proud owner of an RCA CC010, two deck VHS and reciever with A corded camera to attach. When I got home, I looked it over and discovered it was virutally new with all the packaging and even a leather holster to carry around the godforsaken VCR like rambo.

I looked the camera up online and it retailed for over $1100 when it came out in 1981. It still works fine and in my opinon would make a very fine boat anchor, but here I am.

Is there any Viable use for a Camera like this? Does anyone use them for anything like parts or making a viewfinder system for tracking and framing shots?

I guess it could make an 1980's film rather convincingly.

It has a C-mount lens that screws off, I think it might fit my bolex but i haven't tried due to the massive lengths of the lens and my bolex has no rails LOL?

Any Ideas, comments? what would you do in this situation?

That must be a tube camera. A year ago I shot a commercial where I was looking for a tube camera to give me a specific '70's look. I did a lot of research and with the help of some people on this fourm, found a way to rent cameras like that, but they are rare.

I spoke to a few people: one was Chuck Pharis. His email is chuck@pharis-video.com I spoke to him on the phone and he is really a one-of-a-kind---full of knowledge. I'm sure he'd be able to tell you whatever you wanted to know about the camera and its value. Look at his website www.pharis-video.com Also, check out www.labguysworld.com

I would say that these things are more fun to play around with than anything else. They don't really have any value as far as collecting and such. It's more if someone is looking just for that model or someone wants an old camera to play with. If you want to sell it, I'd be interested. I organize a media collective that collects and works with old equipment, fixing it up and using it for experimental videos and films.

• Premium Member

I hate for you to take my information and act on it but the camera can be stripped down and used as a "sync" generators for generating black burst and house sync and perhaps as a color bar generator as well.

I suppose you can leave it as is and use it as a black burst generator.

lol awesome, nice ad, what is a sync generator or black burst? etc. Anyone interested in the camera? Any clue how much someone would pay for it?

I'd be interested in it for our media co-op. PM me and let me know.

If you got some old stuff like that and if its in real good condition it could be worth up to $100 on ebay. Sometimes the old retro stuff in new condition does hold some value.

Guest Jim Murdoch

It's hard to tell from that picture, but the camera looks like an old JVC G71P. RCA had shares in JVC, so it sounds about right.

About 10 years ago I found a JVC GX88 Vidicon colour TV camera and HR2200 portable VCR package when cleaning out a garage.

I used to service those things when they were new, back in the early 80s, and people were always screaming then about the short operational life of the expensive vidicon tubes, but the odd thing was, when I fired it up, the camera worked as well as it ever did, and still does! The VCR also worked fine for a while, then suddenly developed a weird servo fault that I've never been able to fix.

I'm keeping it as a possible prop, along with my 30+ year-old colour TV sets (still working:-) and collection of "period" mobile phones. If you have the storage space, it can be worthwhile...

• 3 years later...

post-45399-1266873106.jpg

I would say that these things are more fun to play around with than anything else. They don't really have any value as far as collecting and such. It's more if someone is looking just for that model or someone wants an old camera to play with. If you want to sell it, I'd be interested. I organize a media collective that collects and works with old equipment, fixing it up and using it for experimental videos and films.

Hi, I don't know if you still are interested in this camera (Vintage RCA Camcorder CC010), I have one of my grandpa, then if yo want to buy it, please send me a mail.

RCA Colour Video Camera CC 010

1981 vintage

Macro Zoom Lens 12.5 – 100 mm f/ 1.8

Telescopic microphone

Includes special coupling cord and lens hood

Selling ‘as is’.

I do not know if it works.

Some wear to camera body.

Some damage to pistol grip.

Lens is in very good condition.

This camera does not hold VHS tape.

The signal goes through the cord to a separate tape unit.

Worth it just for the lens