Leicina Special shooting at 25fps - Question

rcgrabbag

I seem to recall discussions regarding the strobe effect of the Leicina at 25fps and workarounds for reducing the effect (changing shutter angle?). Can someone point me in the right direction? I've searched for an existing thread, but have been unlucky so far.

Again, this is just from memory, but I seem to recall reading that the shutter speed of the Leicina at 25fps is short enough to reduce the fluidity of motion in certain situations, thereby creating a "strobe" effect for lack of a better term. Is this true? I thought it had been suggested that this effect could be lessened by increasing the shutter angle, thereby in effect, decreasing the shutter speed. But I guess that's not an option with the Leicina.

Edited by rcgrabbag

Again, this is just from memory, but I seem to recall reading that the shutter speed of the Leicina at 25fps is short enough to reduce the fluidity of motion in certain situations, thereby creating a "strobe" effect for lack of a better term. Is this true? I thought it had been suggested that this effect could be lessened by increasing the shutter angle, thereby in effect, decreasing the shutter speed. But I guess that's not an option with the Leicina.

Hi;

Not noticed this myself, sure your not mistaking it for the beaulieu? I recall hearing about this with one of the models....

Olly

Hi, think you are getting confused with a beaulieu 4008s 1/87th shutter speed at 24fps, also the 6008/7008 at 24fps with non low lite shutter angle. Leicina special at 25fps should not yeild srtobie images.

• 16 years later...

Well "<" does indeed mean "less than" in mathematics, but 180 was about standard for non-XL S8, IIRC, for a nominal exposure time of 1/36sec at 18fps.

I can only think it's a casual use of the symbol in the manual because I can't imagine a German manufacturer being so vague as to give an approximate shutter angle for something that would have been made to very precise measurements.

• Like 1