Cleaning battery contacts

Stuart McCammon

Guest markb
Title says it all - my battery contacts are corroded - please help)

I've heard if you use vinegar and baking soda and rub the contacts with cotton wool this should get the corrosion off.

• Premium Member
I've heard if you use vinegar and baking soda and rub the contacts with cotton wool this should get the corrosion off.

Brillo pads are probably a good option as well. At some point, you may discover that as you clean the contacts they sort of disappear or become too thin and break. I spent several messy hours with a soldiering gun fixing a couple of battery holders that had either a broken off spring or dissolved connector and was able to fix them. Not always the cleanest job but I got evey battery holder to work. The basic problem is there is not enough metal for the soldier to attach itself to.

I'd recommend against either vinegar/baking soda (gummy residue) or brillo pads (tiny steel hairs in the contact area). Try a Pink Pearl eraser or pencil eraser dipped in isopropyl alchohol. You want to clean off the corrosion with as little erosion to remaining contact metal as possible.

• Premium Member
I'd recommend against either vinegar/baking soda (gummy residue) or brillo pads (tiny steel hairs in the contact area). Try a Pink Pearl eraser or pencil eraser dipped in isopropyl alchohol. You want to clean off the corrosion with as little erosion to remaining contact metal as possible.

Now he tells me. :ph34r:

Title says it all - my battery contacts are corroded - please help)

Commercial contact cleaner works nicely as well in some cases... It eats away the oxidation and lubricates the contact. This stuff is potent, so don't expect to buy it at the local convenience store.

Works better on contacts with a larger, flat surface area (not spring contacts)

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried everything over the years, and I now use a device called an "Oxide Scubber". You get them from electronics supply houses, and they look like a retractable pencil - even have a pocket clip - and cost about 10 dollars for the tool and two replacement scrubbers. The scrubber part is only about a quarter inch diameter, so it reaches anywhere, and they work like a damn. Just make sure the dust that is generated doesn't go anyplace important.

To finish the job, the electronics store can also sell you a liquid contact cleaner that incorporates a protectorant so that the corrosion does not come back. It must be good stuff - the container is labelled "EXTREME DANGER" !!!