Jim, what is a test slice?

Chris_Burket

Jim, I don't know if you still check this forum, but if you do...

I've heard you mention your "test slice" sensor many times. What exactly is that? Is it a small section of one sensor that you had made to test its capabilities? Or is it a full sized sensor "sliced" from a large wafer or something.... Obviously I'm no expert in sensor production.

I'm sure you are preparing the very best footage and stills for release this fall, but I am curious: Have you personally seen a still frame and/or 10 seconds of footage captured by the sensor and camera setup? I wouldn't expect you to release even a still until you have things perfected, but I'm wondering if its to the point where you have seen one, or shot some footage?

Guest Jim Murdoch

And also, how come your "bespoke" super-35 sized sensor has an HDTV 16 x 9 Aspect ratio?

Why not 1.33:1 like the Arri D-20?

With CMOS sensors you have exquisite control over which pixels actually get used, allowing you to optimize the data rate and so on, so why not a full-frame unit so you can use anamorphic lenses.

And also, how come your "bespoke" super-35 sized sensor has an HDTV 16 x 9 Aspect ratio?

Why not 1.33:1 like the Arri D-20?

With CMOS sensors you have exquisite control over which pixels actually get used, allowing you to optimize the data rate and so on, so why not a full-frame unit so you can use anamorphic lenses.

Hey, don't be hijacking my thread. Start your own. So back to the test slice thing....

Correct. It is a small section of the large sensor to test both the sensor design and pixel design. Since we are doing things quite a bit different from the current group of existing sensors, we needed to prove the concept (which we did).

Correct. It is a small section of the large sensor to test both the sensor design and pixel design. Since we are doing things quite a bit different from the current group of existing sensors, we needed to prove the concept (which we did).

Cool, thanks for the info. So have you seen a picture (although it would not be full res), created from your test slice? Have they made a full sized one yet?