Tapestock

Peter Borrud

I'm unsure what tapestock is the best for the Varicam, anyone know? Also, what does the red top and the yellow top mean on certain tapes? Anyone have any extensive knowledge in this area? Thanks.

Peter

Edited by Pita filmmaka

The yellow-lid, blue-lid or red-lid can all be used in a Varicam. What will be affected is the amount of shoot time available on the tape relative to what time is printed on the cassette shell. A Panasonic AJ-HP64ELG (red lip) will give you 32 minutes rec time in a Varicam. For a blue lid divide by 2 or 4, for a yellow lid divide by 4 or 8. Only use "large" shell tapes, regardless of lid color.

Hope that helps.

- Tom

• 2 months later...

I can confirm what Tom said above. And Fuji or Panasonic DVCPRO 25/50 or 100 may be used.

Just make sure you know that only the HD tape has the correct record time printed on the casett.

Cheers

-Chris

I can confirm what Tom said above. And Fuji or Panasonic DVCPRO 25/50 or 100 may be used.

Just make sure you know that only the HD tape has the correct record time printed on the casett.

Cheers

-Chris

I've been told that fuji and panasonic tape comes from the same production line and are identical.

I'm unsure what tapestock is the best for the Varicam, anyone know? Also, what does the red top and the yellow top mean on certain tapes? Anyone have any extensive knowledge in this area? Thanks.

Peter

I have found that using the tape stock that is manufactured by the same company that made the camera gives the best results. Ergo, Panasonic stock in the Varicam