Music Video

Rolfe,

Congrats on your video. I would have liked more variety. The wide shots are nice on their own, but become repetitive after a bit. I would have liked to see more shots like the one where the rabbit leads the camera. Also, although it seems like you were aiming for a spontaneous feel, I would have liked some more strength in composition. The fact that repeat the wide shots (as they run back and forth) also kills the spontanaety. A few shots, like the low-angle shot of the rabbit with the building in the background, work better. All of the MCU's of the girls look great.

Best

Edited by Marc Levy

Shot on 35mm (7218) pushed some of it 2 stops to get more light

2 rolls pushed 2 stops and 2 rolls normal - mainly shot at 25fps with 85 filter

No lights - just bounce boards

Did a previs scout for locations - made a huge difference

Graded on Spirit - transfered to digibeta

Had 5 days to do the whole project from treatment to delivery of graded Digibeta

The Music company changed the music on the day of the shoot!!!

We had permits to film but we still had some issues with places and were forced to move near the end which is why we don't have more shots

I only had the models for 5 hours (part of the deal) so we had to reuse certains shots

We only had budget for 16min of stock (so a four to one ratio was fairly tight)

I have to thank Fstop and Hu for being there and helping out - they were great

All in all it was great day and loads of fun = when the rabbit started bouncing everyone laughed - including the police who were around

We shot really fast (40 something set ups in 5 hours)

that is all I can remmeber at the mo

thanks

Rolfe

all shot with one 16mm and one 85 mm Arri T1.3 superspeed

thanks

Rolfe

I liked it.

Probably not going to win anybody any awards, but it was cute and quirky, and well, it's hard to go wrong with a guy in a rabbit costume and a hot model. Nice compositions. Original, which is unusual in music videos.

• Premium Member

Photographically very nice, but the edit seemed in total disregard to the music. Conceptually I thought it was very weak. I like rabbit costumes and models, but it didn't go anywhere....seemed like somebody got high and said, "I've got this great idea!" and then passed out. The pouty look of the two models at the end??? This is the kind of video that would make me want to like the band, but ultimately hate them.

Sorry if this comes out harsh.... I really do think the shots looked nice.

• Premium Member

I disagree, I liked it a lot.

For a 5 hour shoot you took the Guerilla aesthetic and embraced the most of what it could offer.

The offbeat editing style and repetive nature kind of fits this electronic music genre.

There seemed to be a tobacco look to some of these shots. Is my monitor accurate?

Was this something you did during the telecine process?

I also think you did a great job scouting interesting locations.

Kudos,

bt

I am in a self help group to try and control my urges to push 5218 :)

The look that came from the sunrise shots (rabbit reading paper - which were 5218 pushed 2 to 2.5 stops) carried over for the rest in the TK session

While in the TK session we made a decision to give it a slight tobacco look cause it was looking very "poppy" and it didn't fit the tone

The "previs" scouting of locations is a huge thing I am learning about - this is why I was | am looking for a directors viewfinder with PL mount and video out

I learnt this prep benefit from some of my still friends and from watching the work of Jo Willems [Cry me a river - is the best example] and Savides - they have some serious knowledge about classical framing and composition and finding the right place and lens (down to the cm) and it is best done alone without crew stress

I am least happy with the bridge scenes cause we were moved from the place I prevised and had to go to the bridge at short notice - but this will always happen - and the overhead decision scenes worked very well for the story

thanks for the kind words

Rolfe

• Premium Member

I wasn't expecting it to look as good as it did with all of the negative posts. And the composition was fine.

If I have any criticism it's less rabbit more girls! But perhaps he's the leader of the group or something.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest peter orland

Hi Rolfe.

I like it, both technicaly, and artisticaly. One horny rabbit.

Good work.

Thanks