JJ has taken his business elsewhere

Guest Jim Murdoch

On re-reading, what he actually said was: If it didn't live up to his expectations, "he would appear at NAB '07 without trousers". <_<

I'd love to see where you pulled this quote from. Or do you just make this stuff up?

Jim

Guest Jim Murdoch

>>I'd love to see where you pulled this quote from. Or do you just make this stuff up?

Are you suggesting, suh, that Jim Murdoch, inventor of the MVW8000 HDTV camera, makes things up?!!

Because if you are, suh, ah shall have to ask you to step outside!!

And close the door behind you:-)

As it happens, that quote was relayed to me from a friend in Australia, from the local trade publication

Encore. Unfortunately you have to be a subscriber to access the news articles, bit pointless really, since if you subscribe to the magazine, you, well ... have the magazine!

If you're so confident about RED, I don't know what you're worried about :P

But hey, if you're going to kick the ladder out from under Panavision's miserable efforts, don't let me stop you. I think it would be hysterical....

Edited by Jim Murdoch

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jim Murdoch
So can plastic lenses resolve 4k images? I like plastic because its cheap and with todays high technology I bet they can make it just as good as real glass.

Theoretically you could, but durability and stability would be real problems. Most plastics tend to develop microscopic surface crazing after a while, which makes them look cloudy. In any event, the cost of the actual glass in even the most expensive lens would be negligable.

The bottom line is, you probably could make precision cine lenses out of plastic, but they'd almost certainly wind up costing more to make than glass and not be as reliable. However for some optical instruments with exotic lens designs, moulded plastic is about the only thing that can be used.