1st A.C. Needed - ASAP

My 1st A.C. had to back out of an upcoming shoot due to personal/family issues. I'm in urgent need of a replacement. If you are capable, and interested, please email your resume to info@cagexxi.com .

-35mm TV Commercial shoot

-Must be local to central or south Florida

-5 day shoot - June 29th-July 3rd, 2006

-Paid position - pay will reflect your level of experience

-Camera is an Arri 35-III

-AC is only needed for shoot dates, not for camera prep or gear return.

-Be warned: DP is very demanding Chainsaw

Ashley Dean Myles

Producer

Cage XXI Enterprises, Inc.

• Premium Member

The DP is demanding, yet the AC doesn't get the opportunity to prep the gear? And then you're going to pay them even less if they don't know what they're doing, in addition to not being able to prep the gear?

If it's urgent to find somebody, you'll attract more flies with honey...

Guest Chainsaw
The DP is demanding, yet the AC doesn't get the opportunity to prep the gear? And then you're going to pay them even less if they don't know what they're doing, in addition to not being able to prep the gear?

If it's urgent to find somebody, you'll attract more flies with honey...

In all honesty it's attitudes like this that make me such a demanding DP. This post was for a paying job, not a request on how to walk on eggshells to pamper fragile ego's. The situation regarding this job opening is what it is, if there are no interested parties then none need apply. My AC had a family emergency and had to back out with less than 36 hours notice. The reason why an AC was not needed for an AC prep and camera checkout at Panavision is simply because that job is already done. God fu**ing forbid someone should have less work to do.

As to paying someone less if they don't know what they are doing, well, if someone does not know how to AC then they do not have a job on my production. As the original post said, the pay was commensurate with experience. Pretty simple concept.

Absolutely no one is entitled or privileged to work, in any industry or field. My Producer is free to post for jobs as she sees fit. Thank you for showing me your level of interest and professionalism Michael, welcome to my ignore list.

• Premium Member

No one said anything about pampering fragile egos. I just thought that if you wanted to attract AC's, showing respect and professionalism would go farther. Most professional AC's I know would prefer the chance to go over the gear before the shoot, especially when walking into a "demanding" situation. And if you're so demanding, it's not unreasonable to let them try to do a good job for you.

No one has the privelege to work, but no one has to jump through hoops to take a job that smells sour, either. It's a two-way street, and neither side owns it. My challenge to the posting was simply an effort to point that out. And no, I'm not an AC applying for the job; I'm a DP who's been an AC. MY professionalism is based on fairness, respect and integrity. Your response indicates to me that perhaps yours lies elsewhere. Maybe I'm wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
My 1st A.C. had to back out of an upcoming shoot due to personal/family issues. I'm in urgent need of a replacement. If you are capable, and interested, please email your resume to info@cagexxi.com .

-35mm TV Commercial shoot

-Must be local to central or south Florida

-5 day shoot - June 29th-July 3rd, 2006

-Paid position - pay will reflect your level of experience

-Camera is an Arri 35-III

Ashley Dean Myles

Producer

Cage XXI Enterprises, Inc.

How did the shoot go?

• Premium Member
Thank you for showing me your level of interest and professionalism Michael, welcome to my ignore list.

Talk about mild-tempered and reasonable. Maybe I mean childish and bratty. I suppose it's expected from someone who calls themself "Chainsaw".

Honestly, I can't believe that my little cry for help caused such a ruckus.

We needed a 1st A.C. and had no other alternatives other than casting a wide net and hoping we found someone capable given the time and budget constraints. I added the bit about the DP being 'very demanding' as a bit of humor which brightened the mood at our production office after a very, very trying day. I've learned my lesson to never post anything on this forum ever again.

:D Downix, the situation ended up working itself out in a beneficial, positive manner. We hired an ex-student of my husband and my gaffer who was more than capable of doing the job. The shoot went as well as possible given the budget constraints and weather. Most importantly, the client is exceedingly happy.

:huh: Mr. Nash, you really must have been looking to find fault with my post. I tried to make it as straightforward as possible so that I wouldn't waste anyones valuable time. It was a simple job post, not something that was meant to be up for discussion and debate.

:blink: Mr. Patio, you cannot fault my husband for coming to my defense. And honestly, who cares what his nickname is. His entire crew calls him by that name and has for years.

• Premium Member
Honestly, I can't believe that my little cry for help caused such a ruckus.

We needed a 1st A.C. and had no other alternatives other than casting a wide net and hoping we found someone capable given the time and budget constraints. I added the bit about the DP being 'very demanding' as a bit of humor which brightened the mood at our production office after a very, very trying day. I've learned my lesson to never post anything on this forum ever again.

:D Downix, the situation ended up working itself out in a beneficial, positive manner. We hired an ex-student of my husband and my gaffer who was more than capable of doing the job. The shoot went as well as possible given the budget constraints and weather. Most importantly, the client is exceedingly happy.

:huh: Mr. Nash, you really must have been looking to find fault with my post. I tried to make it as straightforward as possible so that I wouldn't waste anyones valuable time. It was a simple job post, not something that was meant to be up for discussion and debate.

:blink: Mr. Patio, you cannot fault my husband for coming to my defense. And honestly, who cares what his nickname is. His entire crew calls him by that name and has for years.

Unfortunately there are some real juvenile brats hanging out on this Forum recently. Stick around - there are also a bunch of pretty decent film folk. Ignore the pimple faced gang and the political diatribes - I do.

Unfortunately there are some real juvenile brats hanging out on this Forum recently. Stick around - there are also a bunch of pretty decent film folk. Ignore the pimple faced gang and the political diatribes - I do.

I certainly wouldn't refer to Chad & Michael as 'Pimple Faced Brats'. Michael made a legitimate comment and received a rather rude response. Everything else was a reaction to that.

Quite often in this forum small miss-statements get blown out of proportion and can gain a life of their own.

With regards to Ashley?s initial post, I saw nothing wrong with it other then the rather strange comment that there would be no prep. Michael?s response politely commented on the inadvisability of shooting with out prep. We were all surprised to see such a vitriolic response aimed at Michael and even stranger at the people who work for you. It was quite unexpected. Using sentences like ?God fu**ing forbid someone should have less work to do.? Sort of fires people up. It shows a pretty high level of arrogance, ignorance, and a real lack of understanding for the job of first AC. Since the success of your work rests on the shoulders of a handful of hard working technicians it sort of brings into question what kind of DP you are.

Not having your AC prep the camera is a recipe for disaster. Even at a company as professional as Panavsion, and there is none better, equipment doesn?t always work properly, fit together, or match your order. Paying an assistant a prep day means the problems are caught before your shoot. Problems that happen on a shoot day can cost you hours of your shoot and often important clients. This particularly true in a demanding environment or if the assistant hasn?t worked with the DP before.

• Premium Member
I certainly wouldn't refer to Chad & Michael as 'Pimple Faced Brats'. Michael made a legitimate comment and received a rather rude response. Everything else was a reaction to that.

If I had been interested in the 1st AC position and concerned about camera prep, I wouldn't have complained about it, I would have politely inquired how camera prep was going to be accomplished and what the proposed rental equipment schedule was. If I liked what I heard, I'd proceed, if I didn't, I'd bow out nicely and wish them success.

I'm pretty successful as an engineering consultant. One of the reasons why is because when I think one of my clients is crazy, I don't start name calling, I try to find out what's going on.

I've got the largest broadcast manufacturer in the world on my doorstep right now offering me a contract relationship doing specialized engineering for them. I spent last week at their training center in a seminar and they liked what they saw. It's because I know my stuff, when to put on a suit (and when not to), and was polite to the secretarys and wives. Very much the same principle that to work successfully in film you'd better not have a "tude" all the time.

• Premium Member
Quite often in this forum small miss-statements get blown out of proportion and can gain a life of their own.

With regards to Ashley?s initial post, I saw nothing wrong with it other then the rather strange comment that there would be no prep. Michael?s response politely commented on the inadvisability of shooting with out prep. We were all surprised to see such a vitriolic response aimed at Michael and even stranger at the people who work for you. It was quite unexpected. Using sentences like ?God fu**ing forbid someone should have less work to do.? Sort of fires people up. It shows a pretty high level of arrogance, ignorance, and a real lack of understanding for the job of first AC. Since the success of your work rests on the shoulders of a handful of hard working technicians it sort of brings into question what kind of DP you are.

Not having your AC prep the camera is a recipe for disaster. Even at a company as professional as Panavsion, and there is none better, equipment doesn?t always work properly, fit together, or match your order. Paying an assistant a prep day means the problems are caught before your shoot. Problems that happen on a shoot day can cost you hours of your shoot and often important clients. This particularly true in a demanding environment or if the assistant hasn?t worked with the DP before.

Bob,

If indeed they weren't planning on any camera prep, they certainly were an accident waiting to happen. But I don't think anyone to date has inquired as to how they planned to make certain the gear was ready to go. Supposition: maybe "Chainsaw" owns his own kit and checks it out himself? An experienced AC who's familiar with the gear being used might take the job as offered, many wouldn't. I'm just a bit miffed at how at least two Forum participants flamed the producer without further inquiry.

And yet you don't hesitate to call forum members "juvenile brats" and "the pimple faced gang."

What do you suggest calling people who flame a producer without further inquiry?

Come to think of it, one word "Santo"

Hal,

> If indeed they weren't planning on any camera prep

Chainsaw stated that the prep had already been done. That's great, however as Michael said, any responsible AC who hadn't worked with that particular camera package would insist on at least a short prep. It's not reassuring when a producer tells an AC he cannot prep.

> Supposition: maybe "Chainsaw" owns his own kit and checks it out himself?

Chainsaw said the package was from Panavision.

Bob and Michael were not "flaming". As seasoned professionals they were trying to illustrate that the job posting had flaws that would limit its effectiveness. No prep? Pay to reflect experience? A warning?

Then Chainsaw replied with what appeared to be a fair amount of attitude and negativity. Who would want to work with that?

Just to clear a bit up -

I posted that the AC wouldn't be needed for prep because the DP was going to be performing the prep. At the time, we didn't know if we would find anyone on time and so were making the appropriate arrangements. Stating that check-in/check-out weren't required was a concession of time, as my previous AC had to bow out for family reasons 36 hours prior to picking up the camera. Naturally, if the prospective candidate was available on that short a notice he would have been more than welcome at the prep and would have been paid for it.

If anything, the lesson learned here is not to immediately jump to the conclusion that a poster is somehow misinformed or not knowledgeable in his or her field. I believe that's what upset me the most and also upset Saw. Well, that and the fact that you were questioning his wife and producer in the middle of an extremely stressful and challengeing project. It was just a job posting for goodness sakes!

• Premium Member
Hal,

> If indeed they weren't planning on any camera prep

Chainsaw stated that the prep had already been done. That's great, however as Michael said, any responsible AC who hadn't worked with that particular camera package would insist on at least a short prep. It's not reassuring when a producer tells an AC he cannot prep.

> Supposition: maybe "Chainsaw" owns his own kit and checks it out himself?

Chainsaw said the package was from Panavision.

Bob and Michael were not "flaming". As seasoned professionals they were trying to illustrate that the job posting had flaws that would limit its effectiveness. No prep? Pay to reflect experience? A warning?

Then Chainsaw replied with what appeared to be a fair amount of attitude and negativity. Who would want to work with that?

Maybe someone who saw it as his/her first lucky break? The job that someday they'd be in an NYC or LA bar laughing over beers with their friends about how on their first real job they went in WAY over their heads, paddled like mad, and came off a winner?

• Premium Member
Just to clear a bit up -

I posted that the AC wouldn't be needed for prep because the DP was going to be performing the prep. At the time, we didn't know if we would find anyone on time and so were making the appropriate...............

Thanks for confirming the point I was trying to make, people made rather rude comments about your post without inquiring why no prep, etc. Too bad I'm in OKC and you're in FL - I'd have been happy to throw a couple days your way, not as an AC - I'm not experienced enough to sell myself as one, but as the world's oldest 3d Assistant PA - I serve up a mean cup of coffee. :) Also, 40 years plus of electronics experience has been known to come in handy around a set.

It looks to me like the confusion here is the result of communications misinterpretations. For example...

> I posted that the AC wouldn't be needed for prep because the DP was going to be performing the prep.

To some this sentence explains that you provided info in your first post explaining that the DP would be doing the prep (even though you didn't), when in fact I think the sentence is simply showing today why you originally posted that no prep was necessary.

> Paid position - pay will reflect your level of experience

Not sure what this means, since Chainsaw added:

> As to paying someone less if they don't know what they are doing,

> well, if someone does not know how to AC then they do not have a

> job on my production. As the original post said, the pay was

> commensurate with experience. Pretty simple concept.

So does that mean that if an AC has experience they get paid, and if they don't have experience they don't get paid?

> If anything, the lesson learned here is not to immediately jump to the conclusion

I think the best lesson here is that written communications in a public forum can be interpreted differently by different people, and that it is often best to communicate clearly and provide as much detail as possible if you're looking for help quickly.

99% of the people in this forum are well intentioned and helpful, and IMO there's little need to be defensive when constructive criticism is offered.

• Premium Member

Yeah, what got me was his lambasting of Nash who has always been a respectful and insightful participant IMO. She said he was challenging to work with, and he proved it with his post. Anywho, I think we can all get along.

• Premium Member

I'm just now getting to this thread, and reviewing all the comments.

I probably should have been a little more careful in my tone when I posted my first response. I still stand by my concerns over the job listing, but I should have been more careful and considerate in my choice of words. As it was, I tried to throw in a little sense of humor with "flies with honey" comment, but I can see now how that could have been taken the wrong way.

Mrs. Dean, I never said you were misinformed or unknowledgeable in your field, and I'm sorry if you took my comment as an insult. That was not my intention. I did, however, notice what appeared to be some "red flags" to crew members in your post, and stepped in to point out some inequities. I live and work in LA where there are hundreds of low budget producers who exhibit an attitude that undervalues the professionalism and contribution of crew members, treating them essentially as a commodity. I did not automatically assume that that was your approach, but I was pointing out that your posting could give that indication to qualified crew. Also, you needed to find a replacement right away, and your post seemed (to me) to scare people off instead. I was trying to point that out.

I understand it was late and you were stressed when you posted the ad. It was late and I was tired when I responded. Like others have pointed out, there was a bit of miscommunication. I realize that my choice of words automatically put you in a defensive position, and I probably should have allowed more room for doubt in my phrasing.

I was surprised by the attitude in Chainsaw's response, and tried to objectively address his comments in my second post. For whatever it's worth, I'm willing to let that go.

As a sidenote, I am also aware of the job realities in your neck of the woods. I'm Tampa Bay born and bred, and worked the same swamps as you for 10 years before relocating to LA seven years ago. I know how small the film community is there.