Werckmeister Harmóniák

Lots of talk out there about the camera movement in this film, but I'm just as curious about the film stock and filtration. Anyone know or care to make an educated guess?

I really like the halation on the light source. Again, any guesses on the filter? If the stock is double-X it has no anti-halation layer, would this contribute to the effect?

post-5878-1152013841.jpg

Thanks,

Steve Milligan

...B&W stocks do have an anti-halation layer, but it is not as effective as the remjet backing on color negative, so you still get some halation.

Appreciate the correction, David.

Would diffusion filters then magnify the effect more than they would on color negative? I'm trying to choose my filter set for a 7222/7231 project, wondering if I should knock the diffusion down a bit, or even do without....

Steve Milligan

• Premium Member

Double-X is a softer-looking stock so you would use less heavy diffusion compared to color negative, but it really depends on the look you want to achieve -- maybe you don't want to be subtle...

In terms of simulating that type of ring halation, the closest I've seen happens when using Classic Soft diffusion, because the lenslets or "bubbles" in the glass cause little rings to form at certain focal lengths.