Makeup/ skin tone tests

G McMahon

Looking at collaborating with a makeup artist to see how skin tones can be affected with different makeup with different lighting.

I am particularly interested in seeing highlights being heightened or subdued, with frontal and kicker or liners with hard and soft lighting.

Not knowing much about make up, how should I go about this test with the make up artist and talent?

Should I also test with both male and female skin if it?s a generic test?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• Premium Member

Usually you test for the specific processes you think you're going to use, and test different makeup/wardrobe/etc. under those conditions. Otherwise you could end up doing a bunch of tests and maybe not even get to the right combination of elements.

I would try to keep the tests simple and repeatable, and don't do too many. Try maybe two or three variations of lighting for each lighting setup, and three different makeup styles. Then shoot all the permutations of lighting and makeup. Describe to your makeup artist what you're trying to do and let them come up with a couple variations, including a "normal" style as a control set.

I would try to keep the tests simple and repeatable, and don't do too many. Try maybe two or three variations of lighting for each lighting setup, and three different makeup styles. Then shoot all the permutations of lighting and makeup. Describe to your makeup artist what you're trying to do and let them come up with a couple variations, including a "normal" style as a control set.

permutation

Noun

1 [C usually plural] FORMAL any of the various ways in which a set of things can be ordered:

There are 120 permutations of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5: for example, 1, 3, 2, 4, 5 or 5, 1, 4, 2, 3.

He made six separate applications for a total of 39 000 shares, using permutations of his surname and Christian names.

2 [C] one of several different forms:

The company has had five different names in its various permutations over the last few years.

I am a bit thrown; try two or three variations of lighting for each lighting setup, then shoot all combinations. To me that sounds like variations of variations which seem to contradict the idea of keeping it simple.

Could you please elaborate?

Graeme, thanks muchly

• Premium Member
3 different sets of makeup

x

3 different lighting setups

=

9 tests

Hope this helps.

Yes, this what I meant. It is multiple tests, but the variables are limited and therefore simple. You could whittle the variables down even more for fewer tests, but that would also give you less feedback to examine.

Take notes on each setup, placing a card in frame with the number or even the variables of the test, so you know what you're looking at when you view it later. It might be something like a card that says "test #4," and on your notes you see that test 4 is "hard light, at key level", and the makeup was "dull #1" or whatever you might choose to call it.

• Premium Member

Doing your tests I'd also try a little experimentaion with subtle gel enhancers and their effects on skin tone. Adding or subtracting a gel is much less time consuming that adding or taking away more slap (make up over here!!)

Best of,

Rupe Whiteman UK