Nikon R8 mercury battery replacement?

Raffinator

Hi,

I am the proud owner of a Nikon R8.

Had not used it in a while and I noticed that the internal light meter was not functioning properly -- I would get a exposure reading of f2 in bright sunlight using 100 ASA -- where my hand held meter gave me something like f22. I am assuming that the batteries had lost juice (it had been a year since I last used it)

I purchased some zinc 1.35 volt batteries ("max battery" model mx 625) but noticed that now the internal meter gave me no response at all -- battery check button "M" indicated no power.

Can anyone recommend a good replacement for the standard mercury batteries that are required on this camera ( I believe the number is Px 615 or 625) -- all I can find are 1.5 volts which are not correct, I'd prefer not to have to make the exposure adjustment if I didn't have to. I like to use it for travel and shoot on the fly, so sometimes a hand held meter is more than I want to bring along.

Thanks.

Can anyone recommend a good replacement for the standard mercury batteries that are required on this camera ( I believe the number is Px 615 or 625) -- all I can find are 1.5 volts which are not correct, I'd prefer not to have to make the exposure adjustment if I didn't have to. I like to use it for travel and shoot on the fly, so sometimes a hand held meter is more than I want to bring along.

Non-mercury replacement PX625 1.35v batteries (i.e. Wein Cells) are available for between $5-8 USD from:

- Du-All Camera

- Freestyle Photo

- myoldcamera.com

- Super 8 Stuff

- Wittner

and probably from a number of other places as well.

It has become my personal mission to repeat this information each time the question comes up in those fora I regularly read, which it does about two times a week...

Gentlemen, thanks for the help -- very much appreciated.

Honestly, I did a search on this Super8 forum for "Nikon AND Battery" and came up with nothing, so hopefully this topic will, in the future, serve those in need.

I'm going to draw the conclusion that zinc batteries don't work in these cameras.

Thanks again.

The 1.5 volts are much more readily available at most camera stores -- 1.35v are a bit more of a specialty item, I believe.

Hmm... In my area, there are 2-3 camera stores/film labs that stock 1.35v Wein Cells, and since they're available on-line, you'd think this would pretty much be a non-issue...