Registration on Konvas 1m vs. Arri 2c

Stephen Whitehead

• Premium Member

I've done registration tests on an Arri-2C that my camera operator owns and found the registration, though not perfect, to be completely acceptable for motion picture work, short of doing efx composites. Of course, it depends on the individual camera. If the registration of these cameras wasn't generally acceptable by design, then they wouldn't be usable, would they?

• Premium Member
I've done registration tests on an Arri-2C that my camera operator owns and found the registration, though not perfect, to be completely acceptable for motion picture work, short of doing efx composites. Of course, it depends on the individual camera. If the registration of these cameras wasn't generally acceptable by design, then they wouldn't be usable, would they?

I've seen the registration on both cameras and I must say that they do hold up well, not perfect, but nonetheless.

Kev

Hey, how does the registration of the 1m compare to the arri 2c? I know neither of those two cameras have reg pins. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with these two cameras could comment.

Thanks

SCW

I can tell technical side of registration of the Konvas-1M, 2 M cameras.

Konvas camera have one transport pin only.

The registration of film on film gate make with parts of film magazine.

The film magazine have film channel with slide rails for film with two pressure small plates from side of film.

This is part fixed position of film from side.

The next part of film channel- pressure plate with two small springs.

This is plate pressing a film on film gate and fixing film on time of exposing.

The pressure of a pressure plate to check at service of camera.

The user manual show volume of stability of frames 0.02 mm.

The cameras with registration pins have 0.01 mm.

The serviced Konvas cameras have high result of test of stability frames.

If you will need, icans end images of this parts of Konvas cameras.

• 2 months later...

As far as I know, Konvas uses retarded pull-down cycle same as Arri IIIC (maybe in IIC, I'm not sure). The claw waits engaged with the perforation until its movement for the next frame advance. I call it artifical register-pin :). And I remember that once OSTCAM of Moscow had made a register-pin for Konvas 2M...

The clips of Thomas are very informative, but I prefer to look at the tests especially for registration shot on tripod totally locked, and best of best shot the Vernier pattern.

• 2 weeks later...

I can speak only for the Konvas 2M - I have shot with a number of Arri 2A to C cameras over the years and never had the excellent registration that the Konvas gives.

But to be fair, the Arriflex has a slightly greater shutter opening than the Konvas, which leaves less time for actual pulldown of film (and gives you the advatage of less strobing/more light on film).

I suspect that the longer, straight film gate of the Konvas is responsible for the better registration - which is the same with 1M and 2M, I believe. Don't know about the intermittent movement itself...

Anybody who is unhappy with his Konvas registration accury should sit down with a set of screwdrivers and service his own mags! ;)

Edited by Christian Appelt