'The Quiet'

david

i thought the trailer looked good, it seems that the choice of lighting from the outside in the moonlight interiors works really well with the subject matter of the film. its really moody. i particularly liked the silhouete tracking shot. uk release?

Edited by freddie bonfanti

• Premium Member
david

i thought the trailer looked good, it seems that the choice of lighting from the outside in the moonlight interiors works really well with the subject matter of the film. its really moody. i particularly liked the silhouete tracking shot. uk release?

I liked that shot too and it bothered me that it was always cut out of the movie until the last cut...

I have to thank the director for pushing me to be less realistic -- I was planning on lighting the movie more logically and realistically, but the director wanted more mood and would constantly ask me if some dialogue scenes could be played at night with the room lights shut off (which is a little unrealistic), which meant it had to be lit through the windows. She also wanted me to smoke every scene, which was hard on our schedule, so I compromised by smoking everything in the house except when the practicals were on at night -- I could justify beams of moonlight, but not the tops of lampshades looking like they were on fire. And I needed to find some scenes in which not to use smoke just for some relief on the crew and cast.

You have to remember that this was a very low-budget movie, shot with a mainly inexperienced crew.

Looks great,

Loved the wide at the pool, interested to see your lighting diagram of it. Also the shot previously mentioned in the thread.

Didn't realise you shot it until the credits came up at the end.

Good work,

Graeme

• Premium Member

Many scenes were smoked, and there is always the temptation in digital color-correction to essentially make the contrast and blacks "normal" but it can look odd if you're not careful -- a long-lens close-up in a smoked set SHOULD have lifted blacks or else it looks like you are artificially crushing the blacks to cancel the effect.

It is a fine line, because the smoke can expose noise in the shadows...especially video if not properly corrected and the effect can look like you've lost resolution.

has there been a case where you looked at a shot and said, "what the hell?" That isn't what I shot.

Great stuff, for what it is worth :D I've watched it a lot...and not all for the women.

Edited by Kemper

• Premium Member
has there been a case where you looked at a shot and said, "what the hell?" That isn't what I shot.

Not really in HD, which is one of the points of shooting HD.

You do see some artifacts in post and the film-out that you didn't see on the set monitor.

• Premium Member
I'm looking forward to the film - the trailer had me intrigued and it looks great. That I have a bit of a weak spot for Camille Belle had, of course, nothing to do with it... :D

She's a sweetheart to work with, I can tell you that. Nothing Hollywood about her. She has one of those Silent Movie faces, you know, the type of actress that is best at giving looks, reacting, thinking.

Interesting that two of the most attractive young actresses I have photographed are half-Portugese (Jordana Brewster being the other.)