any movies on canon gl1?

sray

Grizzly Man was supposedly shot with a GL2, but I can't find anything definitive on it)

According to IMDB it was shot on 16mm and HD so probably not a GL2 - that is only according to IMDB though so you may be right

I have not heard of any films that are in wide release shot on a GL2. There have been some shot with the Canon XL-1 though, most notably 28 Days Later.

Hello,

I shot a short called "Marla." about two years ago using a Canon XM2 (PAL version of the GL2) with a homemade mini35 adapter. Here's the movie website: http://www.marlathemovie.com

It's a great little camera, the fake progressive mode (frame mode) works really well. They shot 28 days later in that mode.

Olivier Vanaschen

the black sheep

Hello,

I shot a short called "Marla." about two years ago using a Canon XM2 (PAL version of the GL2) with a homemade mini35 adapter. Here's the movie website: http://www.marlathemovie.com

It's a great little camera, the fake progressive mode (frame mode) works really well. They shot 28 days later in that mode.

Olivier Vanaschen

the black sheep

Great simple guide for how to make a mini35 adaptor, it made the most sense compared to every other diy mini 35 adaptor instructions that i've found on the internet.

wasn't it awkward filming with the camera vertically?

Edited by Steve_Smith29

According to IMDB it was shot on 16mm and HD so probably not a GL2 - that is only according to IMDB though so you may be right

---IMDB frequenyly gets the tech specs wrong.

Off hand I can't recall any film in it. But the HD would be for Werner Hertzog's footage.

Grizzly man's footage, which is the bulk of the movie, was DV.

There are occasional glimpses of one of his cameras.

---LV

I shot a couple of short films on the GL-1 earlier this year. Not the greatest camera in the world but adequate for small no budget shorts. I think the frame mode for some reason looks a little better on this camera than the other Canon's. You can see some footage here if you have the right plug-ins and a fast computer:

http://www.aaronmarquette.com/reels.php

Check out the titles: Mary's Promise, From Joseph's Quill and Business Rush. All were shot on the GL-1.

Hello Steve,

thanks a lot, it was a pretty ankward setup, really not easy to use, it did affect our way of operating the camera a lot. The picture was flipped horizontaly (left/right) which made it quite difficult. We wouldn't redo it this way. In fact, we only shot this short with this system. We were so excited about the picture that we didn't think that much about making it more easy to use, we just went straight shooting something :)

To make it easier you can use a so-called "Sports Viewfinder", I think the reference for the Nikon F2 is DA-1 and for the F3 it's DA-2. It gives you the same "picture size" as if you would shoot the GG directly as we did but the picture is not flipped anymore and it's way easier to build an horizontal setup.

I must give credit to the first DP who did invent and build that kind of system. It's a german DP called Matthias Fleischer, here's his website with some infos on it: DV35k. He was really the first one ever to build a homemade 35mm adapter.

Cheers,

Olivier Vanaschen

the black sheep