Christian cinematography

Ckulakov

• Premium Member
Could you please list some christian movies, music videos, or short films that where greatly motivated by the cinematography.

Thanks

Could you perhaps be more specific as to what you are looking for? Every movie is "greatly motivated by it's cinematography", Christian or not. Even though I hated the movie, The Passion was well shot. I don't really know any other movies that are really considered Christian. There are some with more overt religious themes than others, but I don't go looking for Christian films. Perhaps look for some LDS (Mormon) movies online. I know they have a quite active production company here in Utah making both religious, and "family-friendly secular" films.

• Premium Member

I don't understand what it means to be "motivated by the cinematography" -- cinematography is motivated by the needs of the movie, how can a story be motivated by the cinematography?

Imagine some filmmaker saying "I was motivated by 7218 and Zeiss lenses to tell this story of the Jonah and the Whale..."

I don't know what "Christian cinematography" is either.

I really don't understand the question at all. What does it mean to have a Christian music video motivated by the cinematography? You'd think it would be motivated by Christ...

Perhaps you mean "with greatly motivated cinematography?"

Most "Christian" movies are appalingly sub-par...I'm not sure I'd reccomend them for study of cinematography. The only thing that comes to mind other than "The Passion" is the wedding scene in "The Deer Hunter," shot by Vilmos Z. (not even gonna try to spell that one) which has a big catholic chapel, and looks incredible. And, not that it has "greatly motivated cinematography," but you can check out a clip from a "christian music video" on my reel - http://www.sweetmansystems.com/ee/DSweetman_06Reel.wmv

... in the end, it's no different than shooting anything else; you shoot what fits, and in the case of Christian material, I guess you look for bright, light-hearted, beautiful kind of stuff. There was also a "drug scene" in that music video, so the beautiful stuff is supposed to be contrasted by the smoky night shots.

I think he wants examples of cinematography of an outstanding quality in movies, videos or other audiovisual expressions that have obvious christian connotations.

Greatly motivated cinematography wouldn't necessarily be outstanding or distinct, or maybe i'm just adding to the confusion of tongues now.

• Premium Member
I'd also be intrested in any examples with strong connections to devil worship and/ or serious demonic possesion....

Hopefully a joke - "Rosemary's Baby", "The Omen" series, and in a lighter vein, "Damn Yankees".

Guest Paul Wizikowski
Could you please list some christian movies, music videos, or short films that where greatly motivated by the cinematography.

Thanks

I'd have to agree with David Sweetman. Most "Christian" films are a joke from top to bottom. Typically they go straight to video and some of the "better" ones (loose term there) can be found in Bible Book Stores. Only a handful can be found in Blockbuster or other video rental houses. The most recent Threatrical release was last years "End of the Spear", shot by Tulsan Bob Driskell. The most notible one is obviously "The Passion".

I'm trying to think of some others....Carman's "The Champion", "Mercy Streets" did okay, and then theres the big video seller "The Left Behind" Series. Oh, its aweful though.

As for music videos check out Switchfoot's "Stars", P.O.D., Reliant K, Dizmas, The Kids in the Way. There isn't much of a market for Christian Music Video's, so unless the band is crossing over into the secular realms most MV's are just on the bands website and so difficult to find unless you know the band first. The one's I've listed were nominated for music videos of the year in the Dove Awards. (Except for POD who just happens to have larger budgets and better videos than most).

Short films are even harder to find. The Damah film festival deals with "Spiritual" Films. So theres a start.

There are a ton a secularized christian films out there. Hollywood uses stories from the new and old testament as story and character floor plans for a contemporary setting. Matrix, Superman and many other films use a messiah like character as their lead.

Horror films use Christian dogma as a plot device. So, Christian values are all around Hollywood. Speaking of which, what do you think about Mel Gibson?

Guest Paul Wizikowski
what do you think about Mel Gibson?

I wonder if he even knows where he stands.

The only thing that comes to mind other than "The Passion" is the wedding scene in "The Deer Hunter," shot by Vilmos Z. (not even gonna try to spell that one) which has a big catholic chapel, and looks incredible.

---It's not a 'catholic chapel', it's a Russian Orthodox church.

Christianity is not a monolithic culture. Unitarianism is a Christian sect. And until recently rapture believing

evengelicals did not consider Catholics Christians, but pagan idolators held over from the Roman Empire.

They have toned down on this for political reasons.

Traditional Catholic and Orthodox imagery and music is quite different than traditional Calvinistic imagery, or rather lack of imagery, and music.

Contrast Beethoven's Missa Solemnis with christian rock.

There's a huge range.

'The Counterfiet Traitor' turns out to be an interesting Christian/Catholic movie.

Totally unlike what passes as 'a Christian movie' by today's shallow standards.

---LV

Edited by Leo A Vale

• Premium Member

Check out the movie called "The Visitation". It's based on the Frank Peretti book. I thought that it had decent cinematography. All of the flashbacks had that "Domino" type cross process look which turned out nicely and the lighting throughout the film from what I can remember was quite moody. If you care to see part of a Christian music video that I shot about 2 years ago, you can click on the following link and then click "The Huron Carol". http://creationarts.ca/2005Festival/2005_screenings.html

Speaking of which, what do you think about Mel Gibson?

well considering when he got arrested yesterday (or maybe the day before) for drunk driving he unleashed a fury of anti-semetic comments, I think he is more of a christian poser, and did passion to improve his image (and maybe in his head he though it would gain favor from above?) who knows. I know a godly person doesnt call a sheriff 'sugar-t*ts' and ask if his arresting officer is a jew (after railing on jews before that)

Sorry, slightly OT, but gibson came up just after I saw the news.

How about Tarkovsky's "Andrei Rublev" - in addition to the whole setting of medieval Orthodox monkhood, it's got that Christian versus pagan scene by the river. Of course the demons in that film are all human.

Also Dreyer's "Joan of Arc".

Edited by Robert Hughes

Chariots of Fire

Oh, and Mel Gibson just succeeded in proving that he is thoroughly human. He never pretended to be Jesus, he just produced a movie about him - how many other public figures have had the maturity to apologize for an incident like that the next day? Remember the whole Hymietown thing? It took Jesse Jackson a whole month to apologize for that one after denying it at first)

Oh, and Mel Gibson just succeeded in proving that he is thoroughly human.

Yeah, I see what your saying and its a fair point. I have been in the news business long enough that I have a bad opinion of those who would drink and drive (especially those who could afford a taxi or limo service). It seems that everytime there is a DD accident, the drunk walks away with a few scratches and the people in the other car are all dead.

Check out just about any film from Martin Scorsese up to "Last Temptation of Christ"; Catholicism/Christianity penetrates every aspect of his art. He isn't trying to "teach christianity" (if that's what you are after, I don't think it is) rather, it's such a huge part of his life that it finds its way into a lot of his themes, conciously or subconciously. If you look for it, there is a fair amount of Christian iconography in these films, and it seems like every character is searching for redemption, in one way or another.

Scorsese himself has acknowledged the extent of the influence of his Catholicism: "It always will be in every piece, in every work I do, even in the way I act."

I love the cinematography in the first three:

The Last Temptation of Christ

Taxi Driver

Raging Bull

Mean Streets

Boxcar Bertha

"You don't make up for your sins in Church; you do it in the streets; you do it at home. The rest is bullshit, and you know it." -Charlie, Mean Streets

• Premium Member

Christian images appear a huge range of genres, its maybe a tad ironic that wholly christian films dont always seem to inspire such memorable shots.

Platoon - William Defoe's death is a good example of recognisable imagery (even if unintentionaly caught)

I would be interested if any other religions are depicted more memorably in films? Muslims in particular have been depicted in a wide range of styles, many warped out of true context.

I once got "offered" a job as a camera assistant on a "Christian" movie. I have no idea what it was about. All I remember is the "deal memo" they sent over which, in addition to the regular list of business and financial concerns, also included a "pledge" of sorts to live a Christian life and join them in the daily prayers, etc etc etc. You get the idea. They weren't just making a movie. They were also interested in either converting the crew or just surrounding themselves with like-minded individuals. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, but all I wanted was a job. I passed.

Guest Ronney Ross

If your looking for a Christian film that has great cinematography and a great story line check out"Timechanger" which was produced by fiveand2 pictures.(The Christiano Bros.) Unlike most christian films it was shot on 35mm for theatrical release(limited) and with success of national distribution through Blockbuster they did pretty good with this film. It has a couple of b and c class actors in it. Some great special FX's would be great to checkout if your looking for a christian film that raised the bar as to what has been in Christian filmmaking.

Rich Christiano is at christianfilms.com

I forgot Dave's site

-Ronney Ross

If your looking for a Christian film that has great cinematography and a great story line check out"Timechanger" which was produced by fiveand2 pictures.(The Christiano Bros.) Unlike most christian films it was shot on 35mm for theatrical release(limited) and with success of national distribution through Blockbuster they did pretty good with this film. It has a couple of b and c class actors in it. Some great special FX's would be great to checkout if your looking for a christian film that raised the bar as to what has been in Christian filmmaking.

Rich Christiano is at christianfilms.com

I forgot Dave's site

-Ronney Ross

Luther would be another good film to watch that has good cinematography.

Hopefully a joke - "Rosemary's Baby", "The Omen" series, and in a lighter vein, "Damn Yankees".

---Val Lewton's "The Seventh Victim" is very good with a genuinely stunning end. One of my all time favorites. So many dispairing characters.

Hammer's "The Devil Ride's Out" is quite entertaining.

Ch.Lee has thePeter Cushing/van Helsing part.

The effects are rather cheesey, Stilton since it's English. But part of the fun.

The first 'Bedazzled' with peter Cook and Dudley Moore is a very good version of Faust.

Let us not forget "The Devil and Daniel Webster"AKA "All That Money Can Buy".

Incidentally, if 'Ben Hur: a tale of the Christ' were really a Christian movie, Ben Hur would have found Christ then gave up his vengence against Messala, instead of getting his revenge then finding Christ.

But then no chariot race.

---LV