I'll stay with 16mm

Matthew Buick

Well I'd like to once again say how much I like the Arri 16bl. Like I've said before the more I use it, the more I like it. Of course the Bolex is smaller, cheaper, etc., but the 16bl is really a very good camera. It's just heavy enough so you can go handheld while keeping the image relatively smooth. plus it's nearly bulletproof because the Germans built it. It's light enough to use with a beefy Bogen fluid-head tripod, and you can pick up a plate adapter at nearly any camera store. It's a few more bucks than the bolex, sure, but I think it's worth it.

The main problem I've noticed with reflexed Bolexes (Bolexi?) is the dim postage stamp viewfinder image. But I haven't tried out all of them.

This is one the main problems for me. There are some mods to be made but I've never used 'em. Link below for enlarged and brightened bolex viewfinders. I'd love to hear from anyone who has had this done.

http://www.jkcamera.com/Super16.htm

You know Matthew, maybe by checking on Ebay or google might get your question

answered a bit faster, dont you think?

I've tried, I've tried all of this before, but I can never get a straight answer, someone might be charging

$4500, someone else $2500, and I saw a Bolex H16 EL body on eBay for $550.

• Premium Member
problem solved,and for only a few hundred bucks.

Not really. The problem with the Bolex viewfinder is that in the best case scenario, you are still getting only a small percentage of the light entering the camera lens being transmitter to the viewfinder. Because of the beam splitter.

With Arriflex cameras, and most of the other 16mm offerings, the light bounces off a mirror shutter, so all the light entering the lens is transmitted to the viewfinder, making focusing and framing a whole lot easier.

-Tim

I've tried, I've tried all of this before, but I can never get a straight answer, someone might be charging

$4500, someone else $2500, and I saw a Bolex H16 EL body on eBay for $550.

Matthew,

Find a few Bolex EL cameras on eBay, shouldn't be hard, then bookmark the auctions. At the end of the week, when the auctions are over, go to your bookmarks and see what they sold for. That will tell you the going market rate for Bolex EL cameras.

-Tim

The main problem I've noticed with reflexed Bolexes (Bolexi?) is the dim postage stamp viewfinder image. But I haven't tried out all of them.

Index-->indices

Matrix-->matrices

Thus:

Bolex-->Bolices

& yes, they are dim 1/80 second effective shutter speed.

---LV

Guest shutter bug
Have you had this done yourself ?

What do you think ?

I appreciate Bernie's half for free offer but, uh - you sort of have to commit or.... :)

-Sam

ok, i havent done it myself but spoke to a couple of people that have, thats how i found out about it. they said it was really great.

what do i think? i think its really great. i understand the principle to a degree and spoke to a friend who repairs cameras and he said its a 'sound idea'.in his language that means good.

i dont know what you mean about comitting to it..is say every camera out there would benefit, even modern ones because the second you close that iris down you lose light. and if this things gets more light to your eye then you are benefitting.

Guest shutter bug

Not really. The problem with the Bolex viewfinder is that in the best case scenario, you are still getting only a small percentage of the light entering the camera lens being transmitter to the viewfinder. Because of the beam splitter.

With Arriflex cameras, and most of the other 16mm offerings, the light bounces off a mirror shutter, so all the light entering the lens is transmitted to the viewfinder, making focusing and framing a whole lot easier.

im aware of the different forms of reflex viewing but i have to say its not as bad as people claim. ive used a super16 ebm and i have to say the viewfinder image was big and bright.the arriflex guys were amazed. i was amazed. id be more than happy to use it again. with laserbrighten i think it would really give it that snap.

as for the prism, its not a tiny percentage. 25 percent is diverted through the prism for the viewfinder. you really dont lose that much light.

if you wanna get really crazy get a pathe 16mm...talk about interesting, it uses a pellicle. i was thinking of getting one for fun and seeing if it could be super16'd since i know it can easily take a sync motor.

and buick..dont worry about the EL. they are expensive. unless you are desperate for single frame dont bother. you can always get a clockwork bolex that does singleframe and then pick up a new electric motor to spin the thing.itll be cheaper than getting an EL.

I own an EL...

the dim view finder has never been too much of an issue expect when doing time lapse and the lens already has ND on it - more of issue is that the viewfinder is in a set position.

For shots like 'dogs eye view, looking up' you really have contort and drag yourself along the ground... or pull off the viewfinder and look directly into the periscope prism like you can with the wind-ups... thing is tho you have to have a special long and thin screwdriver to get through the 400' mag loading mount and also be careful with the LED wiring... annoying, but on the other hand not restricted to just the Bolex EL.

As for the eBay prices, you really need to look at what is added with the packages, many items although they look like standard peices are quite costly to buy as single items, they will often be listed as one line in the description and then hidden in the pics... A good example are the bayonet to c-mount adaptors, selling for ~$70 each on eBay, also there are the filter holders, batteries, chargers, 400' gear etc...

The cheap EL's have tended to be sold as 'untested' and sell for good prices in any case as they are a goldmine for spare parts...

I guess it's subjective; I have a Rex4 with a 13X finder, I consider it "dim" compared to my Arri etc

It's not a deal breaker, otherwise I wouldn't own the camera....

(..what I meant by commit is, if Bernie O'D does half of it and you wanted to opt out... !)

I ask because I like the Bolex gg in other respects, easier to judge focus - with a wide angle lens - than many other cameras...

-Sam

This must be a conversion as the Rex 4 never had the 13X. There is considerable difference between the 13X and 10X finders, which the early Rex 5 and EBM had.

It is, it has the EL finder.

I indulged cause I've paid my dues B)

-Sam

Index-->indices

Matrix-->matrices

Thus:

Bolex-->Bolices

& yes, they are dim 1/80 second effective shutter speed.

---LV

I'd go with an Aaton, they're so cheap these days, even from dealers. Seen them from 2000-4000 GBPounds on www.bblist.co.uk for Super 16 camera with mags and batteries. Wonderful cameras, different planet to Bolexes, it's a crying shame how they've been so de-valued. Especially as I've got one!

Rhinocerous - rhinocerii

Hippopotamus - hippopatami

Radius - radii

Hawaius - Hawaii

Bolex - Bolii

or is it Bollux?

I have an Auricon conversion, and can make out the faint letters of the conversion shop: "Sollen", or "Yollen", or something with 2 'els' in it. Does anyone have any information on this camera?

Auricus - Auricii? Sounds like a Star Trek alien species.

Edited by Robert Hughes

I'd go with an Aaton, they're so cheap these days, even from dealers. Seen them from 2000-4000 GBPounds on www.bblist.co.uk for Super 16 camera with mags and batteries. Wonderful cameras, different planet to Bolexes, it's a crying shame how they've been so de-valued. Especially as I've got one!

Agree. I just bought one and I´m really impressed with it. When I´m comparing it to Arri SR and SR2 it´s much quiter and the mags are even faster to load. The running noise is comparable to that of the rentals SR3 Advanced that I have worked with and handheld it can´t be beaten. I found mine for $3300 and thats less than half of what I´d have to pay for a SR2 s16. If you got the money I can highly recommend getting a Aaton LTR54

Never used an EL,but I did own an EBM.Is the EL capable of single frame operation?I liked the EBM but I had problems with the 400 foot mag take up motors.The rubber tits (it's what my repair tech called them I swear) that engage the take up spindle melted on me once during a sports shoot.The take up motor had to be completely rebuilt.This, I think is a design flaw as I've met many other Bolex users who have had that problem.