Eumig Mark 8 projector

Zuma

Hi to all. Can anyone help me re Eumig's Mark 8 (Wien type) projector. Bought one just recently without a manual and although my research indicates it plays super 8 and standard 8 I can't tell how you move between these functions as there is no switch that I can see on the unit. Any clues? Also would appreciate if anyone can point me to an online manual for this unit, preferably free, as most sellers seem to want extortionate prices for photocopies etc of hard to get ones. I was sent a PDF of the manual above by an terrific 8mm fan in Holland but its in Dutch(!) so I'm struggling to make any headway with it. Would appreciate any help - ciao from zuma...

Hi, remove the cover to expose the lamp, inside the cover you've just removed 'should be' a spare gate assemble and two sprockets, simply replace the ones in the projector with the ones in the cover. Be carefull, can be quite fiddly the first few times you try inserting the gate assembly.

Hi, remove the cover to expose the lamp, inside the cover you've just removed 'should be' a spare gate assemble and two sprockets, simply replace the ones in the projector with the ones in the cover. Be carefull, can be quite fiddly the first few times you try inserting the gate assembly.

Hi, please ignore the last post i am 'as usual' talking rubbish.

Sorry got my projectors mixed up, the projector should have been supplied with a transit cover which protects operating side of the projector(lamp,lens,rewind arms etc). Inside the cover should be located a spare gate and two sprocket drives. Change the existing gate in the projector for the one in the cover, along with changing the sprockets at the same time. Removing and inserting the gate can be fiddly.

Hi and many thanks for the speedy info on the Eumig - smaller knobs and smaller gate which I assume are for the standard 8 are inside as you indicated. I managed to pull the installed gate out - bit fiddly like you said but

once I knew it was meant to come out there was no stopping me! Do you know if any further adjustment is required for switching between super and standard guages. Cheers & thanks again Zuma.

Only thing that springs to mind is removing the super 8 sleeve/collar on the feed arm as standard 8 reels usually have a smaller core. No further adjustments required, except for reframing the image when projecting, as the frame line may be out, this is carried out with the frame knob located somewhere near the gate. BTW, make sure those sprocket/knobs/gears are inserted all the way. Also the spockets and gate assembly are coloured, light grey for one format, black for another format, this i assume was done to prevent a std 8 gate with super 8 sprockets.

I see what you mean re the feed arm collars I'll be running with super so they can stay put.

On the subject of reframing image - there is a knob directly below gate which I guess is for frame adjustment as you indicated however there is another knob on the right hand corner directly below the lens which obviously does something although I can't tell what. Any clues? I bought the unit without reels - have some coming soon via post so I haven't had a chance to run a film through it yet. My partner has some unseen 8mm reels that belonged to her grandfather which could be interesting. Finally as you point out the super and standard gates are grey and black respectively. Great to get this kind of informed advice when your fairly new to the 8mm caper. You obviously know quite a bit about this kind of projector - are they a fairly good unit generally speaking?

As far as I know, this is the only dual 8 sound projector that will also do regular 8mm sound striped film.I've never used one, so I'm assuming it has a second set of sound heads since reg 8mm sound stripe is on the side with the sprocket holes and the separation is 54 frames instead of 18 for super 8.

A few of the Kodak Moviedeck sound projectors were dual 8 but could only handle reg 8mm silent film.

• 3 years later...
Hi to all. Can anyone help me re Eumig's Mark 8 (Wien type) projector. Bought one just recently without a manual and although my research indicates it plays super 8 and standard 8 I can't tell how you move between these functions as there is no switch that I can see on the unit. Any clues? Also would appreciate if anyone can point me to an online manual for this unit, preferably free, as most sellers seem to want extortionate prices for photocopies etc of hard to get ones. I was sent a PDF of the manual above by an terrific 8mm fan in Holland but its in Dutch(!) so I'm struggling to make any headway with it. Would appreciate any help - ciao from zuma...

Hi Zuma if you email me the manual I will translate it for you into english and email it back to you my email is robertspits@gmail cheers bob