Is this 512 XL a paperweight?

Zuma

Just been lent a pair of Canon 512 XL models to look at with option to purchase but although

cosmetically A1 I think they might both be duds. Would appreciate any feedback on the following. One

camera has a small fungal spot on the lens. Its match-head size and looks like a bug.

Anyone know the extent to which this kind of flaw would actually influence the end quality of filming?

The other Canon seemed perfect until I tried setting the aperture manually. The meter moves when

the manual adjustment knob is engaged and turned but it wont stay in any position I set. It goes back to

start of meter scale ie 1.2

When I peer down the lens the aperture mechanism clearly closes as fade out postion on the meter is

reached but it will not stay closed- it just opens up again by itself when you stop turning the setting knob.

Has any one encountered this situation before? Am I missing something? Welcome any

advice/suggestions. Cheers Zuma...

certainly not a detailed technical response, but I was warned off the 512XLs recently when getting ready to buy a new camera, by one of the few decent super 8 repair places in the UK, as they the manual aperture control develops significant problems with age... you could try emailing sendean camera's and see if they'll offer free advice.

Thanks for the seandean tip bro. Re this aperture business if you can't fix aperture in position manually

is there any reason to think it might work properly in EE mode? Ciao Z

well, I just had to pay about 175 english pounds to get a 1014E fixed - seems the manual aperture is controlled by some kind of foam in that model which deteriorates over time - when it went, it went spectacularly making everything shot look a little like a 1920's caper (cool, but not if you don't intend it...)

they said something about them being affected by mould... but that may be me getting mixed up. when the manual aperture went, the automatix exposure was fine for a while, but gradually that went up the spout too... unless they cameras are tres cheap, might be worth shopping around... I picked up a little Braun Nizo S40 for a quid on ebay, which is a delight to use...

well, I just had to pay about 175 english pounds to get a 1014E fixed - seems the manual aperture is controlled by some kind of foam in that model which deteriorates over time - when it went, it went spectacularly making everything shot look a little like a 1920's caper (cool, but not if you don't intend it...)

they said something about them being affected by mould... but that may be me getting mixed up. when the manual aperture went, the automatix exposure was fine for a while, but gradually that went up the spout too... unless they cameras are tres cheap, might be worth shopping around... I picked up a little Braun Nizo S40 for a quid on ebay, which is a delight to use...

Thanks for the info it sounds like a the same foam stuff (apologies to the techies) might be in the 512XL. Maybe

turning the manual knob pressurises foam stuff to control aperture. I'll keep digging on this one and post something if I find anything useful. Ciao Z