Arri 535

Daniel Wallens

Hello all,

I may soon be 2nd AC'ing on a job using the 535, and although I easily found the Quick Guide for it, I was wondering where I might find the full manual.

Also, is there anything I should know about the 535 in particular? One question I had was what is the difference with the -B version (I still dont know if this is what we are using).

thank you

:)

One question I had was what is the difference with the -B version (I still dont know if this is what we are using).

Not much. The B has a different viewfinder, slightly different control panels and two "horns" (handgrips) while the A has only one.

Edited by Daniel Stigler

• Premium Member

One good thing to remember is that when you open the movement block to thread the film, do NOT advance the loop knobs while it's open. Since the mechanics of the pulldown mechanism are now disengaged from the rest of the camera, you'll have trouble closing it again since it's 'out of its slot', so to speak. So open, thread, close and THEN adjust the loops.

Otherwise a pretty fail-safe camera that'll keep on truckin' for years. Oh, the old video assist on the 'A' cam isn't too hot, but most of them have been replaced.

i read that the 535A has 16,8kg, while the B has only 14.. (with 120m mag, without lens)

does anyone know where that almost 3kg weight difference come from?

Mainly the cameratop. The original 535 had a fixed viewfinder (which could be adjusted in more directions than the B) and carrying handle (containing the timecode battery). There was also a full camera control and readout on the right side.

Later they brought out the 535B, without this controls, with manual shutter, and a redesigned viewfinder system, that could easily be switched for a 100% videotop for steadicam and remote head use. A the same time they simplified the viewfinder (less movements, and no longer an anamorphic desqueeser) and took a good look at the modular handlesystem of the Moviecam compact.

Now you can also get a 535 "AB" which is the original 535 with the B's viewfinder and handle system, but still an electronic shutter and right side controls.

i read that the 535A has 16,8kg, while the B has only 14.. (with 120m mag, without lens)

does anyone know where that almost 3kg weight difference come from?

Mainly the cameratop. The original 535 had a fixed viewfinder (which could be adjusted in more directions than the B) and carrying handle (containing the timecode battery). There was also a full camera control and readout on the right side.

Later they brought out the 535B, without this controls, with manual shutter, and a redesigned viewfinder system, that could easily be switched for a 100% videotop for steadicam and remote head use. A the same time they simplified the viewfinder (less movements, and no longer an anamorphic desqueeser) and took a good look at the modular handlesystem of the Moviecam compact.

Now you can also get a 535 "AB" which is the original 535 with the B's viewfinder and handle system, but still an electronic shutter and right side controls.

Thanks for the great replies, everyone :) much appreciated.

Now, would anyone know where I could get the full manual for the 535? I found the 14-page Quick Guide no problem, but I seem to be having trouble locating the full manual.

Thanks again!

Does a full manual even exist? All I've ever seen is the quick guide and the IVS manual.

I actually asked at Arri Media, and after many moons of looking, they were unable to find anything better than a shrug and a printed out copy of the Quick Start guide I already had. Oh well.

Does a full manual even exist? All I've ever seen is the quick guide and the IVS manual.

they do exist: one for the 535 and another one for 535B. I do have a copy from each, but not in pdf, only printed versions. maybe one day i 'll have the time to scan them..? The originals came from Arri rental in Munich.