IBC footage...

Jim Jannard

• Premium Member
You don't want to see the camera that took the images. It was a quickly assembled frankenstein machine, with a large refrigerator sized drive array to record the uncompressed nearly 5k images.

But why do you think we wouldn't? This is not a autopsy of a 3-month-dead murder victim we're talking about here, just a collection of electronic parts.

After all, you are dealing with an industry that lives and dies on the makeshift, on the "she'll-be-right-if-it's not-in-shot" philosophy, the industry that invented gaffer tape, dulling spray and people standing round holding bits of cardboard to flag off highlights.

What you have probably looks little different to what we've seen on the sets of a dozen mad scientist flicks. I presume it mostly works on 5 Volts, 12 at the most, so there is no electrical hazard.

Or is the problem that you can't actually show realtime live images yet? If that's the issue I don't know why it would such a big deal, after all you don't get to see movie film straight away either.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The compliments we have received from everyone who has actually seen the footage and then placed reservations is more then enough offset than a few "tweaks" we hear here from those who have not seen the footage. But the inference that the footage has been faked is not well received.

It is not necessary for us to show you our breadbox to convince you the footage is real. Our job is to finish the camera on time and deliver to reservation holders more than they have bet on. Our time will now be spent to that end. If there are some who cling to some conspiracy theory, they will do it without further response.

Jim

• Premium Member

quote name='Jim Jannard' post='126576' date='Sep 11 2006, 10:44 PM']

It is not necessary for us to show you our breadbox to convince you the footage is real.

Jim

I think you mean "Breadboard" and no, it's not necessary for you to put it on display to convince some, or I daresay, most of the posters here. However, if you did put on some sort of actual hardware display it would go a long way toward removing any lingering doubts. I still don't understand why you're reluctant to show us even a photo of it.

I mean, to play the Devil's Advocate, when you get right down to it we really have nothing but your word that the images came from your prototype, and not say, a D-20 you hired for a couple of days.

In another post you challenged us to explain why you would put pixel dropouts and other defects into a computer-generated image. No disrespect, but I'd have to say that is EXACTLY what I would do if I was trying to pull such a scam!

Not that I'm suggesting you are, but that is how less generous-spirited people might think.

Edited by Keith Walters

As I mentioned in a previous post, if this were a scam, it would include Otto Nemitz, Assimilate, Quvis and would put my reputation at risk... not exactly sure what would be gained.

Thank you for correcting my terminology... my frustration is running well ahead of my typing.

Jim

quote name='Jim Jannard' post='126576' date='Sep 11 2006, 10:44 PM']

No disrespect, but I'd have to say that is EXACTLY what I would do if I was trying to pull such a scam!

I guess the question begs to be asked, is this something you would ever really consider doing? Or do you actually know anyone that would ever consider such a thing? I don't.

Jim

• Premium Member
As I mentioned in a previous post, if this were a scam, it would include Otto Nemitz, Assimilate, Quvis and would put my reputation at risk... not exactly sure what would be gained.

Jim

Ignore the nay-sayers. I suspect half of them are people who can't deal with the fact that you're working on a camera that has the potential to put 35mm film in its grave. I'm not happy about that personally but new technology always obsoletes something.

For those of us unable to make it to a live demo, are there any full resolution still capture images from RED posted anywhere? I know your camera can take motion pictures so for me to get a look at a TIFF, etc. would be helpful in getting a feel for how RED's performing.

And David Stump, head of ASC, is in on the hoax?

The head of the ASC at the moment is Daryn Okada. Dave is head of the ASC Technology Committee.

Jim, I have a great deal of respect for what you seem to be accomplishing, but you really need to be more accurate in some of your posts, especially when you're talking to professionals. What may seem like a simple slip of the fingers or tongue to you often comes across as unnecessary hubris to many here and elsewhere, especially when it starts to involve what some might interpret as name dropping. Whether it's in your nature or not, such things sometimes comes across as arrogance. I know you're proud of what you're doing, but it might help to drop the defensive posturing and let the product speak for itself sometimes. Just a thought.

Michael... your point is well taken. You are correct about Dave. My error. I have been posting a bit too much and not checking what I am writing well enough. It is not in my nature to be defensive. But I have never been accused of fraud before (in 30 years of business) and I didn't like it. I have been warned many times not to engage in these forums. I thought that keeping a dialog with the industry would be a good thing. We have received many useful suggestions by the interaction. I think that it is healthy for me to stop the posting now because it has been more frustrating than informative lately. And our footage does speak for itself.

Jim

But I have never been accused of fraud before (in 30 years of business) and I didn't like it.

I don't know if you are referring to what I wrote but just to get this cleared up, I wasn't accusing you of fraud. Just said it looks like cgi. I'm not saying it is cgi, just that it looks like.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous and unreasonable to expect Jim to publish a photo of the preprototype "breadboard" camera. What other camera company does that? And even if he did, what would it prove? If you don't believe the footage, why would such a photo be convincing?

• Premium Member
I think it's absolutely ridiculous and unreasonable to expect Jim to publish a photo of the preprototype "breadboard" camera. What other camera company does that? And even if he did, what would it prove? If you don't believe the footage, why would such a photo be convincing?

Hi Greg,

A 'making of' video would be cool!

Stephen

When I suggested that the still looked like a CGI image, it wasn't an attack or praise. It was more of an observation. I don't doubt/believe RED's capabilities because it's still in prototype.

reloj-HDRI-5-tk-refl-nc.jpg

still-downsize-for-web.jpg

I will probably buy a RED with a PL Mount when it comes out. But for whatever reason I think that particular still looks like a render. Go ahead and tear this post apart.

The first image here is also an HDRI render. Not the best one I've seen but you get my point.

Matt

I think it's absolutely ridiculous and unreasonable to expect Jim to publish a photo of the preprototype "breadboard" camera. What other camera company does that?

ARRI for example does now and then. But only after the new camera is introduced and they are introduced as soon as they are ready to shoot. And not right after the idea is sparked.

A lot of speculation here about the Red demo shots that most on this list are keen to see.

Even more speculation when a few frame grabs are posted!

Jim, you've had your warning, wait until they see the moving picture!

Mike Brennan

(saw the demo)

When I suggested that the still looked like a CGI image, it wasn't an attack or praise. It was more of an observation. I don't doubt/believe RED's capabilities because it's still in prototype.

I will probably buy a RED with a PL Mount when it comes out. But for whatever reason I think that particular still looks like a render. Go ahead and tear this post apart.

The first image here is also an HDRI render. Not the best one I've seen but you get my point.

Matt

Matt, it doesnt look like CGI when it moves it looks like a very nice and very real watch.

The first thing that engauged me was....is is this real? I was looking for noise or moving texture or fixed parttern noise.

There was little that I could see in the two viewings.

Shot of sunglasses had a spec of dust on them that wasn't visible with the naked eye during the shoot.

Reminds me of my first shoot on HD where the client, glued to a 24 inch HD crt kept pointing out specs of dust on his shiny product, that we couldn't see with the naked eye, except from directly behind the lens.

The live action bubble gum girls (you had to be there!) didn't look like a render either.

It is early days yet, but one issue fans of 35mm depth of field may have to factor when shooting is that 4k digital and 4k projection decreases the apparent depth of field.

It is beginning to bother me when I see the nose and ears are soft in a medium closeup.

Mike Brennan

It is early days yet, but one issue fans of 35mm depth of field may have to factor when shooting is that 4k digital and 4k projection decreases the apparent depth of field.

It is beginning to bother me when I see the nose and ears are soft in a medium closeup.

Mike Brennan

Some have commented that the DOF from 35mm-sized sensors is shallower than for 35mm film cameras. Sort of like the DOF challenges of shooting closeups in 65mm.

I think the answer to this is ultimately going to be faster sensors so we can stop down a little where necessary.

Edited by Greg Lowry