THEN SHOOTING EO WITH AATON XTR PLUS

ANTOINE MANICHON

Hi all,

I've posted a topic about exposition troubles 2 weeks ago.... Using Sekonic, brand new film, pro checked camera and lenses, my first test were EO about 2 stops. I decided to shoot (short movie, 3 days Int/ext, sun and lighting) EU 1 stop and made other tests in situation. At the end, before processing all rolls (3*400ft), I asks to process the test : it was EO again about 2 stops ! then labo processed -2 and it's fine so far. That means I have 3 stops mistake between my Sekonic and correct exposition. Do you have like an explanation ?

Please note :

-lenses : GO serie, iris ok

-25 fps

-172,8°

-BW plus-x film

-pro process (Cinedia france)

thanks !

Assuming that the camera is running at speed and the film hasn't been compromised in any significant way, the only thing I can think of is trying your tests again with a different light meter. Did you calibrate yours?

I didn't calibrate my light meter, I've been using it for stills 35mm photos, same Plus-X film as the shooting, results were little EO (1 stop max) or perfect. I noted difference of measure with my Minolta reflective meter, but I was so sure that Cine Sekonic is better... Now, discussing with experienced DOP, it appears the laboratory could have used special process (only explaination for such difference), I should have done a sensito test before... I'm furious, what about Kodak specifications ? it says, with that labo and that film, you should expose PLus-X 80 iso at 250 Iso... If I had known... we'd have not rent lighting equipment !

• Premium Member
-BW plus-x film

-pro process (Cinedia france)

About a year or two now Kodak revised the Plus x formula so that it could be porcessed in a bleach that doses not use chrome metal. This resulted in a total change of thereocmended chemistry and the Recomended film speed.

Now plus x reversal is rated at either 50 or 100 depending on if the old or new chemistry is being used, and you have to check with the lab. If the lab is using another brand of chemistry, they may have their own guidelines.

It s too bad really, their would be a niche for an old-fashoned stock at 25 ASA to use with old cameras.