Wittnerchrme 100D

Steve Molloy

I would like to share some of my experiences of my recent use of the new Wittnerchrome 100D film.

It would appear that this film is incorrectly notched (though will have the effect of being correctly notched if you are using a 25/40/100/160 camera.)

If using a 25/40/64/100/160/250 camera, the film will rate itself as 64D (no filter notch). The only method of rating it at 100D without cutting the cartridge is to put a screw in the movie-light socket (as if using it as 100T) thus the camera will meter for 100 ASA.

The film, if released by Kodak, should be notched the same as Plus X. You may wish to compare these cartridges for reference.

If correctly exposed the film exhibits (in my experience) a grain on a par with Kodachrome 40 and deeper saturated colours as found with Ektachrome 64T. If Kodak release it it will certainly prove popular.

All the stuff I shot from Wittner was notched like PlusX and exposed just right in my cams, which read many ASA ratings. Are you sure it wasn't Pro8 stuff you may have recieved? When I tried that, it was notched like 64T. But yes, when exposed correctly, it does have the grain of K40 and the colors of 64T.

All the stuff I shot from Wittner was notched like PlusX and exposed just right in my cams, which read many ASA ratings. Are you sure it wasn't Pro8 stuff you may have recieved? When I tried that, it was notched like 64T. But yes, when exposed correctly, it does have the grain of K40 and the colors of 64T.

I hope my experience was just a one off, but I shall elaborate.

My camera has the following notch sensor settings. It reads the daylight speed whether there is a notch or not. To read tungsten speeds there must be a screw in the movie-light socket.

25D/40T (degrees all pushed in)

40D/64T

64D/100T

100D/160T (nothing pushed in)

Plus X notching leaves nothing pushed in (i.e. it reads it as 100D.)

Ektachrome 64T correctly pushes the sensor in as far as the 40D/64T mark.

The Wittnerchrome I used only pushed in the sensor as far as the 64D/100T mark, thus to be able to get the camera to read it as 100 ASA I had to use the screw to read it as tungsten (without filter).

I was curious as to whether this was just a one-off or whether they are incorrectly notched. It was definately Wittner's version.

For reference, the 100D should be notched the same as the old Ektachrome 160T EXCEPT that the 100D should not have a filter notch. Is that correct?

Marty, I should be in a position to post some stills soon. The colours are almost psychedelic at times- certainly brighter and richer than my eye sees the scene- that goes for when the film is viewed on a projector or after frame-by-frame transfer, incidentally.

Edited by Steve Molloy