4K HMI with "Silent" Diesel Generator = $3,000.00

Brian Wells

• Premium Member

I am fascinated by the combination of these affordable devices:

4K DE HMI Fresnel with Magnetic Ballast $1000 to $1500 on eBay (generalization of what they sell for on a regular basis).

6,500W "<70db" attenuated diesel generater on eBay $1500 (includes shipping) Can't determine if it's pure sine wave or not... That's a question mark. It looks like a Honda, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Portable-6500-watt-6-5...1QQcmdZViewItem

4K Double-Ended HMI globes are selling for around $200 - $250 on eBay as well.

So, it appears that $3000.00 will buy an older 4K HMI Fresnel, an MOS genny (in other words, NOT as quiet as a LitePower, but WAY better than a "putt putt"), and a 4K globe. Does this seem like a bargain to anyone else? What problem areas should I be aware of before buying a setup like this? The primary purpose of ownership would be for experimentation and spec's. I don't think I would trust this level of equipment for commercial work. But, for experimentation, yeah baby! Ownership actually works out much cheaper than renting at $500 per day, assuming the gear works for at least six days...

I have two HMI's (Lee w/ Electronic Ballasts) they were a good deal and I got them for a project where renting was out of the question.

I wouldn't assume that the genie is compatible with the ballast. It may cause some severe flickering and it could screw up the bulb/head/ballast. I think they have to mod these kind of generators. I could be wrong.

Post some production pics when you get to shoot a test. I have a 575w and 1200w, 4k is pretty large. You need some serious grip equipment I imagine the MAGNETIC ballast for a 4k weighs 100 lbs.

Hope it works out.

Matt

The generator has all the marking of an import P.O.S. Note the key word in the engine description, Yanmar "type". Yanmar diesels are very good, a Chinese made clone of one, probably isn't. Where will you buy parts? Who will service the engine? The frequency regulation is listed as "condenser", not electronic, not crystal-sync, Barber-Coleman, or anything else. The sound rating states 70dB, but at what distance? Ten meters, I believe the standard for comparison. If you want to buy a cheap diesel for conversion, buy one that is labeled as Chinese. China Diesel Imports generators are also sold on Ebay, without the hype and smoke screen.

Edited by JD Hartman

• Premium Member
The generator has all the marking of an import P.O.S. Note the key word in the engine description, Yanmar "type". Yanmar diesels are very good, a Chinese made clone of one, probably isn't. Where will you buy parts? Who will service the engine? The frequency regulation is listed as "condenser", not electronic, not crystal-sync, Barber-Coleman, or anything else. The sound rating states 70dB, but at what distance? Ten meters, I believe the standard for comparison. If you want to buy a cheap diesel for conversion, buy one that is labeled as Chinese. China Diesel Imports generators are also sold on Ebay, without the hype and smoke screen.

JD,

Thank you, sir!

As you can tell from my initial post, my knowledge of diesel generators is extremely limited. I appreciate you setting the facts straight on the import generator. I am a phlegmatic buyer (I like to sit on things for a while before making a commitment) and appreciate the sound advice. The terms you've provided give me some areas to research -- such as "frequency regulation" which I currently know nothing about. Because of your kind advice, I have decided to wait until I can afford a better brand such as Yanmar, Cummins, or Honda. That's the only way to be satisfied. I hate buying junk.

Thanks again,

Brian Wells

I own the 6700w diesel by Kipor which I "bought" new at a local auction for about $1500 in the spring. It looks almost identical to the model you linked to except it's yellow.

It's worked fine with my mag ballast HMI's. It's relatively quiet.