CANON

Matthew Buick

I've seen a Camera called the Canon AF310XL-S, would this be a good camera to learn Cinematography on ?

If it works and it's cheap then in my book *any* camera is fine to learn cinematography on. I firmly believe that cinematography is (and indeed, most things are) best learned by doing, so to start out on a non-stellar camera (or bike/computer/sailboat/guitar/etc.) doesn't really matter, because your skills aren't going to be all that great either, and you'll at least know for sure what you want in your next camera, because you'll know what it's like without it.

The camera you've posted is autofocus, which might interest you or it might not. I've heard mixed reviews of this model. If you want to learn how to do everything manually (as you will with many of the higher end film cameras) then I'd wait for something else.

But if it's under 100 and everything works and you don't mind the AF, then great. If it's more than that, I'd hold out- you can get pretty sweet cameras for under 100 if you keep watching (and ask old relatives!).

no, it is not a camera to exercise cinematography on.

it is an all auto auto focus camera.

Canon310 XL-S AF

Year: 83-83

Weight: 820 g

Lens: Canon zoom 1,0 / 8,5 - 25,5 mm

Auto Focusing

Auto / Manual Zoom

Frame rates: 18

Shutter degree: 217

Auto Exposure

Auto Recording Level Control

4 X AA batteries

Made in Japan

canon camera-museum

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/...2_af310xls.html

1982_af310xls.jpg

Marketed September 1982

Original Price 79,800 yen

The AF310XL-S was based on the AF310XL with sound system, and the two models were developed together. The two models shared as many mechanisms as possible. The weight of the AF310XL-S was only 820 grams, making it the lightest AF sound movie camera in the world at that time.

Both the AF 310XL and the AF310XL-S had very complicated mechanisms, which caused delays before product introduction. As a result, video camcorders and portable CVC system video recorders, considered the new generation of motion picture recording tools, were marketed earlier. These two models were expected to revitalize sales of movie cameras, but they fell short of this goal and became the last Canon movie cameras.

• Premium Member
If it works and it's cheap then in my book *any* camera is fine to learn cinematography on.

I'd like to agree with that statement because it simplifies things, but any camera without manual exposure override can limit one's learning curve in the early stages.

I bought myself a sankyo super 8 camera some time ago for about $20 Australian (about US$12). A MOS camera, very average viewfinder and a pretty poor lens(rather contrasty), but it works well, can operate completely manual or with auto exposure. Solid camera to practice on.

You dont need to sell an arm or leg to get a fully manual super 8 camera to practice on.

I'd like to agree with that statement because it simplifies things, but any camera without manual exposure override can limit one's learning curve in the early stages.

Yeah- if you're shooting on a completely automatic camera then you're definitely missing out on some key aspects of cinematography- especially the ability to make mistakes and learn from them!

Edited by Andrew Means

What about the Beaulieu 1028 XL60, or 1068 XLS ?

I suggest the Canon 518 SV

one of many cheap and good cameras to learn on.

18 and 24fps (and maybe slow mo don't remember)

manual and auto exposure

decent canon zoom lens.

and cheap often available on ebay for less than $30.

what more could you want? (other than a leicina/beaulieu/canon 1014xls etc).

If I was starting out with super 8 (knowing what I know now) this is the camera I'd buy.

There are loads of quiet cameras, and I don't see Crystal Sync as neccesary at my current stage of expertise, or rather, lack of them, I just want a straightforward Super 8 Camera that I can learn on, and shoot movies with my friends on, for I am a teenager, not an ASC chap.

P.S I saw a Nizo 1048 for $144.

Look at this.

http://www.retrothing.com/2005/11/kinoflex_spring.html

It says Zenit manufactured Super 8 Cameras until 1992.

The Zenit/Quartz/Kinoflex that I owned was not quiet like the nizos, but it was quite a nice camera and cheap too.

Instead of drooling over all the potential cameras out there you could own, why don't you just get a camera and shoot some film and then you'll have a better idea of which features and therefore which camera would be ideal for you.

This first camera doesn't have to be a piece of crap either, there are plenty of super 8 cameras in the sub US$50 price bracket worth owning, the canon I mentioned earlier being one, some would say the kinoflex/zenit is another, but there are heaps out there with more than enough features to get started on.

There are loads of quiet cameras, and I don't see Crystal Sync as neccesary at my current stage of expertise, or rather, lack of them, I just want a straightforward Super 8 Camera that I can learn on, and shoot movies with my friends on, for I am a teenager, not an ASC chap.

P.S I saw a Nizo 1048 for $144.

You may want to consider basic options like frame rate: many of the cheaper cameras shoot at 18fps, you may want one with the standard 24fps for a better movie look. ASA reading: again many of the cheaper cameras can only meter 40/160 ASA, but many others will read a lot more. Manual exposure: an important feature for learning and better film making.

For $160 you ought to be get about three or five cameras! Seriously! A Canon AF310XL-S is a point and shot, worth about $20, or maybe a bit more in newish condition boxed still wrapped in plastic as shipped from Canon. Keep looking for a manual camera.

I like the Russian Quartz cameras are great for manual controls, and most are in good condition. Seems like nobody likes 'em and they have remained unused. Get a couple of the Russian ones but don't spend more that $50-$60 each. That of course applies to quite a few Super 8 cameras too. For starting out it's doesn't matter much which one you use. And if you are exploring super cheap cameras, the prime lenses on these plastic cams with their manual f-Stops are fun to learn on. [Ducking for cover] Models like the Kodak M2 Instamatic, Mupi Zeta1, Plus Super 8, Boots Comet 121 will work fine and are all great cameras for under $10 - $20. Just don't compare them with the Nizo's, Braun's, and Beaulieus!

Forget perfection with sound-sync for Super 8 at first, just do it... It will be problemmatic but for starting out but whatever results you accomplish will be great fun. Just roll a camcorder or cassette tape or whatever before you shart, slate your shots, and keep them short. After the shots, have the talent retake the dialogue parts again, while watching the video replay... is'nt that called field ADO or something like that?

You could try silencing you camera a bit by making your own Barney out of your mum's old Louis Vuitton bags! I saw one last week at a flea market for £25... but passed it by instead for a generic £1.00 black leather bag.

With the closing price differences between Super 8 and 16mm it's important to exploit and celebrate the low price virtues of Super 8 and Regular 8 (Standard 8) media.

Gianni in London

• Premium Member
Then why are you looking at super 8? Most super 8 cameras are too loud to shoot dialog, and then only a few can be modified to crystal sync. And I belive all of those cameras are well above you price range.

With all due respect, Im getting so tired of people acting like you just have to have a gazillion dollar rig with crystal sync, and timecode, and metronomes, bells/ whsitles, and everything else. It is absolutely ridiculous to assume you cant sync sound with Super 8. Let's not forget that many S8 cameras were Sound cameras also. These cameras are going to be pretty well synced. If you are on a budget, just remember... the shorter the take, the better! You will not lose sync at all on a 10 second dialog clip. It wont happen. I have done this many times and I guarantee that, with a 24fps sound camera, you will not lose sync in a short clip. If you want to shoot 2 1/2 minute scenes, dont try it without crystal motor because it will drift off. But for short, there is nothing to worry about.

I find that you can do anything on a small budget if you use a little creativity. Hell, if you are really concerned, just record scratch track, noisy or not, and use that as reference for full ADR in post.

Look at this.

http://www.retrothing.com/2005/11/kinoflex_spring.html

It says Zenit manufactured Super 8 Cameras until 1992.

Ooops, I posted this into the wrong thread, just disregard it totally.

Also, I've decided just to bite the bullet, I'm bidding for a Canon 814XL-S.

* Ducks for cover *

Edited by Matthew Buick