My Wife Is Retarded: new short, new experience

Tomorrow I start shooting a short film called MY WIFE IS RETARDED. It stars Sean Astin, Leslie Bibb, Gary Cole, and George Segal. Director is Etan Cohen.

We're shooting HD with a planned film-out. I arrived at Plus 8 Digital yesterday to set my menus and was greeted with a brand new F900-R. I ordered a 900/3, but they have 5 Rs and are putting them on "promising" projects. My interest was piqued since I had heard about the dramatic reduction in noise and the extra latitude in the highlights. I also heard that the menus were new so I asked to speak with an engineer. I was introduced to their Chief Camera Engineer who began a 1 hour in depth show and tell of the new camera. He worked at Sony developing this camera before he came to the rental house.

In the 'back', he set the camera up in their test booth which consists of lit charts, colors, fabrics, manequins, etc. Then they have monitors and scopes everywhere which they use to tweak the cameras. From all the testing he showed me, we arrived at a setting which most closely matches what I normaly do with a 900/3, with one exception...about a 1/2 stop more range in the highlights. If you underexpose a little, as I always do, you can even get closer to 1 stop more out of the top end. Noise has also been dramatically reduced.

In my opinion thus far, this is a major update to this camera, almost requiring a new designation/name in my mind. I'll report back after the shoot on the performance with some frame grabs if possible. I was also impressed with the smaller size and weight. Closer to a Varicam, still heavier though.

Report back on Tuesday.

In case anyone is wondering, my camera package consists of the following equipment:

F900/R

Zeiss Digizoom 6-24

Zeiss 40mm & 70mm DigiPrimes

14" HD monitor

Astro 3001

This is also my first time using the Zeiss' on a shoot, look forward to seeing how they perform for me in the real world.

Guest Stephen Murphy
This is also my first time using the Zeiss' on a shoot, look forward to seeing how they perform for me in the real world.

Eric,

You'll love the Digiprimes.

Are you recording on board to HDcam or to a deck?

Camera was absolute pleasure. From an operators standpoint, it was quieter with NO tape noise and a fraction of the heat the previous model generated. The lack of heat is probably one of the contributing factors to the lower noise images. Yes, they have noticably lower noise, and I was only viewing a 14" HD monitor. As mentioned before, it performed better ouside as well. The highlights seem to roll off a bit more gradual and have about a half stop more of deatil in them. Doesn't sound like much until you see it.

I'm so impressed with the new cam, that I'm going to try and book it for Wal-Mart's holiday commercials I'm shooting over the next two weeks.

A word about the Zeiss lenses...incredible. The short zoom had no breathing and was incredibly resistant to flare. The two primes, great. The Sharpmax is also an interesting tool. The lenses are super sharp and have really nice contrast, probably in part due to the same coatings which help reduce flare.

• Premium Member

Eric~

Thanks for the great info; I'm prepping a feature right now and was looking at carrying the 6-24 digizoom and then the 40mm and 70mm as well. Did you have any issues with matching the zoom to the primes; any thoughts about the combination at all for that matter?

Thanks!

• Premium Member
I ordered a 900/3, but they have 5 Rs and are putting them on "promising" projects. My interest was piqued since I had heard about the dramatic reduction in noise and the extra latitude in the highlights. I also heard that the menus were new so I asked to speak with an engineer. I was introduced to their Chief Camera Engineer who began a 1 hour in depth show and tell of the new camera. He worked at Sony developing this camera before he came to the rental house.......

.......In my opinion thus far, this is a major update to this camera, almost requiring a new designation/name in my mind.

Thanks for sharing. I just want to point out this is what I have found so infuriating about new technologies that actually always take 5-10 years to truly evolve yet are always touted from the get go as being the new poop.

This has to be some form of business fraud when it's cutting into the existing margin of established companies such as Kodak and Fuji that I am presuming don't lie about their film products, or do they as well?

By the way, the previous generation of this camera probably just took a 10-20 thousand dollar hit in value, maybe more, because of the "refinements/improvements" mentioned above.

Hi Eric

Have you used the HDW750 before? Do you know how the 900/r and 750 compare in terms of fan noise?

I believe the body now is the same weight, I just need to know the noise level.

I'm prepping a film where a lot of the film will be shot indoors in a quiet house. We had penciled two 750, but the rental house now say that they can provide two brand spankling new 900/r's.

Thanks

Marcel

• Premium Member

I've been really interested in fully testing the new F900R, I got to play with it at one of Sony's open houses and it kinda seemed like they made it more ENG-like, adding that turbo gain button and giving it the same menu structure as the 700's... I really hate that menu structure... and as for the digiprimes... I miss them so much... I've been on a TV show with Panavision lenses, which are good, but they don't really come close to the digiprimes.

Hi Eric

Have you used the HDW750 before? Do you know how the 900/r and 750 compare in terms of fan noise?

I believe the body now is the same weight, I just need to know the noise level.

I'm prepping a film where a lot of the film will be shot indoors in a quiet house. We had penciled two 750, but the rental house now say that they can provide two brand spankling new 900/r's.

Thanks

Marcel

its the same.

We opted for 750 instead of 900-3 years in the past, for the exact reasons some people prefer the 900r/750p over the 900-3 now.

less/no noise, less heat, less weight, less battery-hungry more creative options in the menu and in the hardware (intervall, slowshutter etc), less external add-ons needed (hd-sdi out) etc. In the USA it might be a MUCH harder pitch between the 900-3 and the 750, as the US 750 only does 30p, the euro 750 does 25p and we are shooting for cinematic release all the time with it at 25, in the USA 30p wouldn´t be an option for this.

Everytime I see the title of this topic post, I like it less and less.

How about renaming the movie... "Only a retard would have married my wife".

LOL!

Edited by jan von krogh

• Premium Member
In the USA it might be a MUCH harder pitch between the 900-3 and the 750, as the US 750 only does 30p, the euro 750 does 25p and we are shooting for cinematic release all the time with it at 25, in the USA 30p wouldn´t be an option for this.

We have a HDW-730 which is switchable between NTSC and PAL. Is that not the case with the 750?

We have a HDW-730 which is switchable between NTSC and PAL. Is that not the case with the 750?

sonys marketing & sales gives you 25p/50i on EURO 750, 30/60 on USA 750. Goal is to rip more money of the cinematic & international buyers and forcing them to the 900. Doesn´t work as well in Europe as many cinematic releases are done in 25 anyhow.

Thats one of the disappointing businesscultures of sony. HDCAM VTRs playing back all 1/2 tape, recording only HDCAM etc are other examples of this monopolistic way of thinking. wont last forever anyhow, as propietary formats have seen their best days.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...