I'm deleting threads started by 'non real name' users

Tim Tyler

Just FYI:

If I see a recent thread started by a user who does not have his real name as his Display Name, it's likely I will delete the whole message thread. Consider this before you reply to a message posted by a non-compliant member.

Thanks to all who have switched to display their real names!

Just FYI:

If I see a recent thread started by a user who does not have his real name as his Display Name, it's likely I will delete the whole message thread. Consider this before you reply to a message posted by a non-compliant member.

Hi Tim Why are you asking people to display there real names? I dont understand your reasoning In this.. In the Film making world there are many who use a stage name.. Would you have made John wayne or countless numbers use there real names?

With Identity theft stalkers and the internet being open to abuse isnt it right that those who are less well known are more open to Identity cons.. Let lone the implications for Women etc.. Supposing someone inexperienced made a comment that upset someone of a dangerous personality? Electoral roles and other information can be gathered quite easily.. Yes its fine if you want to give real names But I think its irresponsible and unnecesary to force people too..

Yeah really! There is some guy on this site who claims to be David Mullen, he's a real famous DOP. As if he'd post here, ok which one of you guys is impersonating him?

R,

• Premium Member

That ought to solve the problem for once and for all. The comments about "stage names" don't make sense to me, if a person actually has a real stage name, one that they commonly use, then there's a good chance that's their professional identity, for instance: any IMDB listings will be using that name.

PS: I am not the late voice actor Hal Smith - but it's kinda cool to share a name with a legend.

Mark, the real name thing isn't exactly breaking news, it sounds pretty decicively final...countless objections have already been raised and dismissed. Personally I like the rule, I hope some day I get to meet most of the people who post here, and it helps give a sense of community. Although perhaps threads with responses containing genuine insight could be left up, regardless of their origination? The 'back-posts' are a very good resource.

Mark, the real name thing isn't exactly breaking news, it sounds pretty decicively final...countless objections have already been raised and dismissed. Personally I like the rule, I hope some day I get to meet most of the people who post here, and it helps give a sense of community. Although perhaps threads with responses containing genuine insight could be left up, regardless of their origination? The 'back-posts' are a very good resource.

I think in terms of a closed circle of friends then I agree great BUT this is a public arena with many people who would like to start careers and part of going public is making decisions about how you want to present yourself sell yourself etc.. Some may be unhappy with there name and want to choose a name more catchy with the public.. Many many people in showbusiness do this to deny it or ridicule it is to ridicule the profession we are here to entertain NOT our real selves but what we can create and part of that creativity is inventing a stage or public personna Im sure many people in public behave and act completely different in the privacy of there true selves...

• Premium Member
Just FYI:

Is this for all forums or just the General Discussion forum?

Is there a way you could highlight the thread for a week or so just in case for some bizarre reason maybe it is the real name of the person?

I think in terms of a closed circle of friends then I agree great BUT this is a public arena with many people who would like to start careers and part of going public is making decisions about how you want to present yourself sell yourself etc.. Some may be unhappy with there name and want to choose a name more catchy with the public.. Many many people in showbusiness do this to deny it or ridicule it is to ridicule the profession we are here to entertain NOT our real selves but what we can create and part of that creativity is inventing a stage or public personna Im sure many people in public behave and act completely different in the privacy of there true selves...

Nice juicy rationalization...Jesus! I'd like to have my paychecks read:" 'Neck-Bone Barto' " But, alas, this stupid government has rules! What a shame for my ego....

BTW, how many DPs have these "stage names" you refer to? There must be tons to base your whole point around it...Are you an anarchist or what? I bet you could rationalize just about anything, you should be in politics.

Pro's deserve to know whom they converse with, especially when conversing with non-pros. If you are known as "thatch" or "kirby" or "fat boy" on set then let us know in your sig line or sign your posts with it.....

It is called professional courtesy. Why is this idea so hard to convey to you people? You act like this is some nazi repression you are under...when in fact this site is balls-out freedom of expression, allowing untold amounts of perspective..... a pro forum on a public level. And you still need a nick-name? Christ!

Nice juicy rationalization...Jesus! I'd like to have my paychecks read:" 'Neck-Bone Barto' " But, alas, this stupid government has rules! What a shame for my ego....

BTW, how many DPs have these "stage names" you refer to? There must be tons to base your whole point around it...Are you an anarchist or what? I bet you could rationalize just about anything, you should be in politics.

Pro's deserve to know whom they converse with, especially when conversing with non-pros. If you are known as "thatch" or "kirby" or "fat boy" on set then let us know in your sig line or sign your posts with it.....

It is called professional courtesy. Why is this idea so hard to convey to you people? You act like this is some nazi repression you are under...when in fact this site is balls-out freedom of expression, allowing untold amounts of perspective..... a pro forum on a public level. And you still need a nick-name? Christ!

Heres a little quiz for you

http://www.usmagazine.com/node/716

And thats just the tip NO there not DOPs But then not everyone is.. I think its fair to say Im right on this However as tim said his rules apply..

• Premium Member

Anyone who doesn't want to use their real name on this board is being overly paranoid, there's nothing 'scammers' can get from your info here that they can't get from a phone book (which are online as well). If you're a Director of Photography or industry professional why wouldn't you want the added visibility this board provides?

Guest Chainsaw
No one is being forced to be a part of this community, but like every comminuty we have rules. Using your real name is one of them.

...and therein lies the problem.

Up until recently Cinematography.com had always been a forum, and now somehow, slowly and insidiously, it has become a "community". To those who do not know or understand the differences I strongly suggest opening the nearest dictionary.

I agree with Mark in that I can find little to no probative reason for this mandate. This situation has obvioulsy been escalating over recent times and it is purely exclusionary for the sake of being exclusionary. This most noticably began with the open hostility toward those who lacked a signature in their posts. Then it progressed to a mass email stating that all registered users who have never posted would be deleted. After that was the mandate that everyone had to use their full legal name and now it has again escalated to open deletion of threads. Any of these measures taken as a single event are rather innocuous, it is the continued escalation that is troubling. Where will it stop? Will it stop? Will there come a point where everyone will have to figuratively look over their shoulder before posting? Did everyone forget that this used to be a place of learning?

These exclusionary measures are a direct symptom of this forum regressing to community status. I do honestly believe that these measures were enacted with benign intent but their implications and ramifications are anything but. They are far greater problems than that which they were created to solve. The simple reason that someone does not want to use their real name on this site should be reason enough for them to not have to. Using ones birth name does not by any means equal accountability. My name is a perfect example - call me Chainsaw or Tony or Mr. Myles and I am still as unknown to you as I always was. I will strongly argue that in an environment such as this that a pseudonym is more important than using your real name. With a pseudonym the idea, question, or answer becomes more important than the person asking or answering.

It is also interesting to see others on here proclaiming about the level of freedom on this site and in the same press of their keyboard publicly chastise others for using this "freedom" to express their concerns. I find no logical weight in the argument that this is Tim's site and he can do whatever he wants either. From the moment he opened the doors to this forum and others began using it as such it became something more than his. This site was his "gift" to us and for a time it was used judiciously but now it is abused more than anything. The problem(s) are not the lack of "real" names, or lurkers, or trolls, or even a lack of signature, in actuality it directly stems from the fact that this site is now seen as more of a community than a forum. Perhaps "Clique" is more fitting than "community". Showboating, egos, insults, credits, toadying, and impressing or denigrating others has long overshadowed education here. Which, strangely enough is one of the most "professional" aspects of this forum as it exists today. Unfortunately such aspects are not very conducive to education. Professional or amateur, everyone who wants to learn should be allowed to learn.

This vilification has me in its sights and I say that it is unfair.

To say that using a real name makes something or someone more professional is ludicrous. I can think of countless productions where at the end the Producer would have to ask my real name so that they could write me a check. I was Chainsaw when I was hired and Chainsaw I remained for the duration. My abilities, ethics, performance, or attitude were never questioned because I was and am a professional. Randal Graves had it right, name or title do not dictate behavior, only a person can do that. I cannot think of any instance where the information I supplied on this site was ever questioned because of my name. I have made long-distance friends from this site (all of which still call me Chainsaw), given many thousands of feet of 16 and 35 recans and factory sealed stock to those that either needed it or could not afford it, counseled more people off-site than on, and never was my name an issue. I am a paid subscriber to this site and have been involved with it in some form for nearly five years. In my profile I provide more personal detail than most, my office number has been there for all to see for nearly two years. And yes, I have received calls from people on this site.

There are obvious flaws and problems on this site but stereotyping and removing individuals who have not caused past problems and are only violating new "rules" will not help the situation. The level of accountability that is necessary here is beyond Tim's scope to enforce which I think helped breed these escalating mandates. There are too many members here that need to do more shooting rather than coming here to be "seen".

These mandates make as much sense as the attention and condemnation that the band Anthrax received when certain individuals sent envelopes of white powder around DC. Personally, I will take a lead from said band and how they handled that situation - I AM NOT CHANGING MY NAME.

Anyone who doesn't want to use their real name on this board is being overly paranoid, there's nothing 'scammers' can get from your info here that they can't get from a phone book (which are online as well). If you're a Director of Photography or industry professional why wouldn't you want the added visibility this board provides?

Hi all -

I've been on this list for a couple years now and my day job is working on Security for a big big software manufacturer. It's basic basic online safety procedure to at least provide the OPTION not to use your real name. Why do you think this is the status quo across the online community?

C'mon. Really now.

And it bugs me that you just erased my post, Tim.

Grainy

The real name thing was enacted on DVinfo shortly after I joined, around 2002. It's still running strong. No I"m not a shill/moderator for them, just a member. Everyone's very civil there, and if they're not, their posts (the nasty ones anyway) get removed. What DOESN'T happen is half the threads devolving into name-calling and political discussions having no bearing on the original thread topic.

I'm all for real names.

Hello All,

Really, people...this is such a non issue. Just type your first and last name in the required place.

Haven't you had to do this about a million times since you were able to first print your name?

Once you type your real name in the required place, if you want us to then refer to you as

digital blue fart 99338 we will be more than happy to do so.

Just use your real name. It's really not a big issue. Really.

Mike

Is there some reason why it has been decided to enforce real names? I'm wondering If I have missed something here.. I'm not trying to be argumentative I'm trying to understand.. So far not a single post has presented any argument for this? Perhaps I have missed certain debates?

Then it progressed to a mass email stating that all registered users who have never posted would be deleted.

As explained here weeks ago, that action was taken specifically to remove dead accounts with invalid email addresses from the database. No other reason.

I'm glad this forum has grown into a type of community. I think that's a good thing.

Certainly stirred up emotions here! On one side you have those on a campaign for truthful names mean truthful upstanding posters which is a paradox in itself? .. And on the other those who wish to stay anonymous.. Personally I think people should choose for themselves as there is no argument for people to use there real names at all.. When people are young often they feel self conscious Embarrased at there lack of knowledge Often they are ridiculed by those professing to help.. This is supposed to be about helping educating people this will discriminate against some.. The only argument I can see is a case for better moderation as there is a fair amount of provocative and angry posts that try to back up often a lack of any argument here.. If some handles are silly perhaps users could be asked to change it...

Is there some reason why it has been decided to enforce real names? I'm wondering If I have missed something here.. I'm not trying to be argumentative I'm trying to understand.. So far not a single post has presented any argument for this? Perhaps I have missed certain debates?

It does encourage a more responsible line of discussion, anonomously anyone could say anything. This way its more like the small community the film world is.

It does encourage a more responsible line of discussion, anonomously anyone could say anything. This way its more like the small community the film world is.

Many Forums have problem posters where they may have many Identities often backing themselves up with there posts and targeting or bullying victims or just trolling for deranged kicks.. Those people are evidence of some of the dangers of the net and the mindset of some.. There are much worse out there too..These people are well versed in being undetected and certainly real names wont stop them.. Although it could make this a less appealing place to be and more exclusive and not worth there while.. Up till now the site has been for the good of all and its an asset to all.. This is a new direction and it may end up less popular.. Its not encouraging more responsibility.. Its encouraging a more closed community..

Its encouraging a more closed community..

It's not like building track homes. It's not like home-schooling your kid. Anyone who would demand an alias is likely to simply use a phony name anyhow, so anyone with a valid e-mail adress who desires help in the field of cinematography is free to make full use of the forum for education and for the answering of questions. Doesn't seem like something for anyone to get worked up about.

Many Forums have problem posters where they may have many Identities often backing themselves up with there posts and targeting or bullying victims or just trolling for deranged kicks.. Those people are evidence of some of the dangers of the net and the mindset of some.. There are much worse out there too..These people are well versed in being undetected and certainly real names wont stop them.. Although it could make this a less appealing place to be and more exclusive and not worth there while.. Up till now the site has been for the good of all and its an asset to all.. This is a new direction and it may end up less popular.. Its not encouraging more responsibility.. Its encouraging a more closed community..

The real film making world is extremly closed. Real names don't stop people for reading the threads for weeks or months before they actually post a question or comment like I did.

Real names encourage people to say only what they stand by or are brave enough to admit too openly in proffesional circumstances - for example early on after posting on this board I wrote that I thought my teachers at the filmschool i went to were irresponsible lazy charlatans - by common decency they have the right to know who posted that about them.

I would understand why you feel unconfortable with full-names if this was a sexual health forum or something!

Edited by Andy_Alderslade

• Premium Member
So far not a single post has presented any argument for this? Perhaps I have missed certain debates?

If you missed all the hubbub surrounding this, then you obviously don't visit the forum very often. Anyone who doesn't like the rules here is welcome to visit any of the other cinematography forums that don't require real names.

many people in public behave and act completely different in the privacy of there true selves...

That's the point. If you have to use your real name you're more likely to be yourself and not be an idiot, like so many anonymous posters are.

So you're saying that you'd prefer for this forum to be a less "closed community" so that the "deranged" people can "target" and "bully" victims and "troll"? I think I'd have to disagree with that plan.